C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

*** Special on Magnuson Heartbeat this Fall **

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2015, 08:21 AM
timmyZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 262 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by old motorhead
Yeah, like Scott mentioned, you can hear it, but it's very faint at cruise. On coarse pavement, the road noise will drown it out. Moderate acceleration, with the NPP's closed, gives you a nice little whine. At WOT, the exhaust pretty much covers it up.
Pretty much like my ZR1 blower, i was referring to WOT, i know they are quiet on cruising or idle. That is why i love them. But i do miss the blower whining from my lightning eaton!! That thing screamed at WOT!!
Old 09-07-2015, 10:35 AM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Received 1,110 Likes on 780 Posts

Originally Posted by timmyZ06
Question for those whos running HB, with the 81MM pulley do you actually hear the blower whining???
Yep, I only have the 90mm on for now (Like scottg, I have the 81mm and a new Gatorback belt for it sitting in my workbench) and that combo whines pretty good at WOT, at least in 3rd and 4th. It's kinda hard to hear it over the scream of the tires in the two lower gears!
Soon as I get some of my other work projects under control, I'm gonna tear into my car again for a cam change and O/D balancer. Getting wrench-withdrawal nowadays...
Are you doing a HB on a Z06? That ought to be fun!
Old 09-12-2015, 10:43 AM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Okay, so, I'm very bored today, and I got to thinking, why not stop looking at that damned 81mm pulley and matching Gatorback belt sitting on the workbench and just throw that on the old GS and see what she can do?
Now, just so you understand the methodology of my madness, I'm thinking this is a viable mod, since my AFRs are solidly in the low 10s, like 10.1-10.2 is what I saw the other day, and the last time I checked my max timing @WOT it was around 14 degrees. I'll verify that in a little bit.
FYI: I'm running on 93 octane pump and we have lots of natural "water injection" aka Caribbean humidity down here, with the humidity hovering right around the dew point most days this time of the year. (I often say it's so humid down here that a sneeze could start a rainstorm!)
So, what do you guys think? Think it'll blow up if I throw that pulley on? Or should I just get some race gas and throw a pail of that in it first?
If it blows up, I guess that'll keep me from being bored for a little while...
Old 09-12-2015, 01:35 PM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Received 1,339 Likes on 947 Posts

Are you running meth? You're looking at a 3 or 3.5psi boost increase. That might be just a little much for pump gas.
Old 09-12-2015, 03:12 PM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Hey Rodney! How's it going buddy?
No, I haven't turned into Walter White (Breaking Bad) just yet!
I was thinking that maybe a 50/50 mix of 93 pump and VP race gas would suffice for ~ 10psi??
What do you think?
I'm also a little bit leary about jumping from the 90mm straight to the 81mm, but I've got this crazy old friend in Texas that told me to go straight for full tilt!
Old 09-12-2015, 04:24 PM
scottg
Burning Brakes

Received 187 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by CI GS
Hey Rodney! How's it going buddy?
No, I haven't turned into Walter White (Breaking Bad) just yet!
I was thinking that maybe a 50/50 mix of 93 pump and VP race gas would suffice for ~ 10psi??
What do you think?
I'm also a little bit leary about jumping from the 90mm straight to the 81mm, but I've got this crazy old friend in Texas that told me to go straight for full tilt!
Hey CIGS
Magnuson told me that it would gain 1lb boost and 10hp with no meth. Tuner said about 12 or 13 is max, then be careful. But what the heck do I know. at 10 now. Ok I want to see a pic of your RV. 84mm on now. See up here we would tell Mikey to walk out on the ice to make sure its safe.
Old 09-12-2015, 04:25 PM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Received 1,339 Likes on 947 Posts

Yeah, go big or go home Sammy! You're going to be 11+ or maybe closer to 12psi. You can probably get away with it using your Cayman Island witches brew in the fuel tank. Andy's running the 81mm along with stock cam and meth. Maybe he'll chime in and give you the proper guidance because.....
The following users liked this post:
CI GS (09-12-2015)
Old 09-12-2015, 04:35 PM
scottg
Burning Brakes

Are you running meth? You're looking at a 3 or 3.5psi boost increase. That might be just a little much for pump gas.
Rodney
Sorry I didn't get back to you nothing but work lately. Car is running good, but cold idle is a little off had it back once. In 60 degree temps its very responsive. That must mean its getting close to putting it away. Only put 1400 on it so far this year. But it does run fine especially over 2000rpms. Its A dog under 2000 rpms and 4th gear.
Old 09-12-2015, 04:53 PM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Yeah, go big or go home Sammy! You're going to be 11+ or maybe closer to 12psi. You can probably get away with it using your Cayman Island witches brew in the fuel tank. Andy's running the 81mm along with stock cam and meth. Maybe he'll chime in and give you the proper guidance because.....
Witches brew!
Actually, I've got a friend who will occasionally make a batch of double distilled moonshine in his backyard. He also makes his own biofuel. He's a friggin backyard rocket scientist. Maybe I'll get him to concoct something for me.
Thanks Rodney. I didn't think it would make that much boost with the stock balancer. It's making around 7.5 psi now with the 90mm.
I think I'll probably leave it alone for now. My boredom has been replaced by laziness now anyhow. Old age is a b!tch...
I want to order a cam soon and do that and the springs, pushrods, etc. and then just go with the 8"+ balancer and be done with it.
I was actually waiting to see what you were going to do...
Old 09-12-2015, 04:58 PM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by scottg
Hey CIGS
Magnuson told me that it would gain 1lb boost and 10hp with no meth. Tuner said about 12 or 13 is max, then be careful. But what the heck do I know. at 10 now. Ok I want to see a pic of your RV. 84mm on now. See up here we would tell Mikey to walk out on the ice to make sure its safe.
Hey Scott. Good to hear from you.
When you say gain 1lb, do you mean going from the 84mm to the 81mm pulley? That sounds about right from what we've seen on here - 1 lb per each 3mm step down in pulley size.
Old 09-12-2015, 05:24 PM
scottg
Burning Brakes

Hey Scott. Good to hear from you.
When you say gain 1lb, do you mean going from the 84mm to the 81mm pulley? That sounds about right from what we've seen on here - 1 lb per each 3mm step down in pulley size.
Yep
Old 09-13-2015, 12:11 PM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

So I did several WOT pulls yesterday, in 93 degree weather, and this is what I saw, using the Dashlogic:
Boost: 7.4-7.5psi in upper RPM range;
AFR: 10.1 -10.3 (the installation of the BAP dropped the AFR from ~11.4 to this range!);
IATs: 104-109* at the start of a run;
Timing: 12.0 -13.5 degrees max, with no sign of KR.
Looks like it needs some tweaking to me? What do you guys think?
Old 09-13-2015, 08:18 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Low 10's is pretty rich..I'm impressed the BAP brought it down that much. Would be interesting to see fuel pressure before/after.

I might pull out a little fuel to get it back to high 10's or so.. not sure about timing on this type of blower. On a centri 12-13 is a fairly safe #

When are we going to talk you into a meth kit?
Old 09-13-2015, 10:31 PM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by schpenxel
Low 10's is pretty rich..I'm impressed the BAP brought it down that much. Would be interesting to see fuel pressure before/after.

I might pull out a little fuel to get it back to high 10's or so.. not sure about timing on this type of blower. On a centri 12-13 is a fairly safe #

When are we going to talk you into a meth kit?
Yep. I checked a video of the DIC that I made right before I installed the Racetronix harness and BAP, and it showed the AFR at around 11.4 and right after the install the AFR dropped to the low 10s, with no other changes. I would love to have been able to log fuel pressure. I was looking at one of those gadgets that I saw you posted pictures of on your thread.
Every guy with FI should monitor fuel pressure, IMV.
I think I need to bite the bullet and buy myself HPT and start messing with the tuning myself, even if I have to sign up for one of Greg Banish's classes.
This overseas email tuning business is frustrating at best. I haven't even been able to get the TCM tune sorted as yet and even after several tweaks it still bangs the limiter (and literally shuts down) on the 3-4 shift and I'm afraid it'll blow the trans soon, because it's quite violent. Luckily, I only drive this car on weekends, when it's not pissing rain.
I'm pretty sure that I'll end up installing meth. I actually almost ordered the Alky Control kit a couple of months back. The only problem is that the local VP dealer is FOS. I asked him months ago to bring me in a couple of 5 gallons pails of M1 and that hasn't materialised as yet either.
Keep wrenching!

Last edited by CI GS; 12-16-2015 at 06:22 PM.
Old 12-28-2015, 03:22 PM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

So, I thought I would resurrect this old thread before the end to the year, just to provoke some more discussion on what I'm thinking of ordering soon (I know, I know: I need to do less "thinking" and more "doing"):
Here's the list so far:
Vengeance racing PD-1 camshaft kit (223*/239*, .610"/.623", 118+4);
ID 850 (or 1000) injectors;
Powerbond 10% OD dampner;
Alky Control meth kit.
What else will I need? I'm going to get a cam kit with pushrods, springs, Ti retainers, and also get the 3-bolt cam sprocket and a C5R chain.
I'll see if I can get Vengeance to do me a custom mail order tune, based on the one that I have from Joe, but tweaked as necessary for their camshaft and meth.
The plan is to run the 81mm upper for around 12 psi?? and see what the bottom end and A6 can take.
Old 12-29-2015, 07:34 AM
scottg
Burning Brakes

So, I thought I would resurrect this old thread before the end to the year, just to provoke some more discussion on what I'm thinking of ordering soon (I know, I know: I need to do less "thinking" and more "doing"):
Here's the list so far:
Alky Control meth kit.
What else will I need? I'm going to get a cam kit with pushrods, springs, Ti retainers, and also get the 3-bolt cam sprocket and a C5R chain.
I'll see if I can get Vengeance to do me a custom mail order tune, based on the one that I have from Joe, but tweaked as necessary for their camshaft and meth.
The plan is to run the 81mm upper for around 12 psi?? and see what the bottom end and A6 can take.
My cam is 220/242 .626/598 119 Lsa +4 84mm pulley running 10lbs now. With PATG cam. And the same bucket of parts for cam you will be using. push rods, 3bolt sprocket, c5r chain,. springs, Ti retainers. I think you will be over 10lbs when you are done.
Old 12-29-2015, 08:39 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Here's the list so far:
Alky Control meth kit.
Mine is 220/240, .598/.598, 117+3. Sounds like yours will not be too terribly far from that.

I think you got the bulk of it.. C5R chain, springs, retainers, push rods, cam sprocket

Only thing I can think of is the locking plate that holds the cam sprocket bolts in place and prevents them from backing out. It's cheap. I actually ordered the wrong one and just used way too much red loctite instead.. but if I were doing it over again I'd probably try to get the right one.

Get notified of new replies

To *** Special on Magnuson Heartbeat this Fall **

Old 12-29-2015, 10:22 PM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Thanks guys. I see that Vengeance has like a master kit that comes with springs, pushrods, all the gaskets, a new crank bolt, Comp trunnion upgrade (which I've read mixed reviews about) and a Melling H/V pump. That's probably what I'm going to go with.
I'll probably order the ID Injectors and the balancer from Colorado speed, because they have the best prices on those by far, from what I've seen.
I also need to gather some tools as well. I have a new Valve spring tool already as well as the usual hand tools, but I think there's a few other things that I may need.
I want to order one of those oil pump alignment tools. Does anyone know where is the best place to order one if those from?
I think I'm going to get the ATI drill fixture to pin the balancer too, since the Powerbond balancer has a key way. What do you guys think about that?
BTW: Is it 5/16" dowels that I need to hold the lifters up? I've done a few LS cam changes over the years (including a VVT cam, which was lots of fun) and I've always just rotated the cam a couple of times and watched the pushrods for a while to see if they would drop, before pulling the cam.
The last time I got two long extensions, laid them across the pushrods and dropped two very powerful magnets on them to hold the pushrods and lifters up by magnetism (I know, I'm a fricking genius, right?). Then, later on, I see where guys are shoving wooden dowels into the holes behind the cam plate to hold the lifters up. I didn't feel too smart then!
I guess the moral of that story is that, like many things, the best fix is the right wood dowel in the right hole?!

Last edited by CI GS; 12-29-2015 at 10:26 PM. Reason: Temporary dyslexia
Old 12-29-2015, 10:41 PM
Ancient Warrior
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

It's interesting that the boost a pump change the air-fuel ratio that much. I just installed one but no data yet. And use a ls2 chain damper as the are more durable than the ls3 type.

Last edited by Ancient Warrior; 12-29-2015 at 10:42 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-29-2015, 10:58 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Do you mean oil pump alignment or timing cover alignment tool?

For the oil pump alignment you'll basically want to pull the gears out of it and install them one at a time, using equal size shims (feeler gauges work well) at 3 points about 120* apart to keep it centered. If you google LS oil pump alignment and you should find a video on it from melling

Edit:

Last edited by schpenxel; 12-29-2015 at 11:00 PM.
The following users liked this post:
CI GS (12-30-2015)

Quick Reply: *** Special on Magnuson Heartbeat this Fall **