C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pro EFI vs ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 08:17 AM
Icevettez06
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Pro EFI vs ?

I´m working on somm mods this winter.

I‘m thinking about converting to standalone on me C6 2005 TT for better control and manly for traction control and save fail security. Pro EFI have Pro 128 ECH system witch seams to handle traction pretty well. Any on at 700-1200 RWHP have this installed ? or what other options are out there?

http://proefi.com/info/applications/...let/corvette1/
Old 12-14-2013, 09:59 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Plenty of options. Haltech and AEM would be the other two big ones. All have good and bad things. You should be able to download the software and play with it before purchasing, see if you like it, read all the options. I know the proefi isn't as nice as others in datalogging.
Old 12-14-2013, 10:06 AM
SinisterC6
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 189 Posts

I use the Haltech ECU and am very happy with it. The interface is comprehensive and easy to follow and allows someone like me with no tuning experience to go in and make adjustments and play with boost settings. The only feature it lacks that PRO EFI offers is traction control
Old 12-14-2013, 10:56 AM
Icevettez06
Racer

Thanks for the info.

For me the traction control is important do to cold weather and bad rods. I’m running MT ET STREET PRO P275/60R15 and on the streets I hook in 4 gear. I´m not a expert in tuning so this needs to be fairly easy to operate. Then I will need some support from someone that have experience with 05 Corvette.

Are there any complete kits ready to plug?

It look like the Haltech ECU will not work do to none traction control.
Old 12-14-2013, 12:23 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Proefi definately isn't "easy to operate" compared to some of the others. I would get whatever your tuner knows the best. A standalone with no tuner is a nightmare.
Old 12-14-2013, 01:25 PM
inspector12
Drifting

Received 82 Likes on 76 Posts

Pro EFI is the only one that offers a plug and play harness for the car part as far as making all the body electronics function etc... The AEM Infinity system is supposed to be bad ***, but it just came out and while it comes with the plugs for the PCM they are not already ran for you, so you will have to terminate them yourself to the coresponding place on AEM's PCM. Has all the features that you could dream of and they offer a class to teach you how to operated it if you wish to take it etc... I have the Pro EFI I am working on installing it and believe there will be a definate learning curve. But I do believe almose any of them will work and Pectl (SP?) offers traction control for just about anything GL!
Old 12-14-2013, 02:04 PM
fe9_fe9
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guys what about the Holley Dominator? I see it has lots of great features and I heard that it's easy to use as well. I'm currently considering it for my 05 TT.
Old 12-15-2013, 02:17 PM
Icevettez06
Racer

Originally Posted by Unreal
Proefi definately isn't "easy to operate" compared to some of the others. I would get whatever your tuner knows the best. A standalone with no tuner is a nightmare.
I will be the tuner with some help from friend of mine.

Originally Posted by inspector12
Pro EFI is the only one that offers a plug and play harness for the car part as far as making all the body electronics function etc... The AEM Infinity system is supposed to be bad ***, but it just came out and while it comes with the plugs for the PCM they are not already ran for you, so you will have to terminate them yourself to the coresponding place on AEM's PCM. Has all the features that you could dream of and they offer a class to teach you how to operated it if you wish to take it etc... I have the Pro EFI I am working on installing it and believe there will be a definate learning curve. But I do believe almose any of them will work and Pectl (SP?) offers traction control for just about anything GL!
Pro EFI do not have harness for 2005 Corvette. Patently there is some difference on 2005 and 2006. So I properly need to make harness no matter what I decide to use.
Old 12-15-2013, 06:19 PM
lt1z
Melting Slicks

Received 170 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Icevettez06
I will be the tuner with some help from friend of mine. Pro EFI do not have harness for 2005 Corvette. Patently there is some difference on 2005 and 2006. So I properly need to make harness no matter what I decide to use.
That is because the 2005 is a one year only E40 ECM in the C6.
Old 12-15-2013, 08:32 PM
turbo-civic-si
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by inspector12
I have used multiple AEM products and I would not recommend using an AEM product within the first 3 years of it being released. They let the customer do a lot of the debugging IMO. Although I am biased because a ProEFI is going in my car this winter. If you are building your own harness the ProEFI comes out to be ~500$ cheaper than the AEM. If your trying to choose between them do some research! Questions like who designed ProEFI and AEM Infinity. Supra forms can get you a lot of information about both systems. Main reasons to go ProEFI for me were traction control that WORKS! E85 supports that WORKS! Continued development! Great customer support! Don't get me wrong I liked AEM V1 and V2, never personally used the Infinity but they both had their issues that seamed to take long periods of time to fix.
Old 12-15-2013, 10:13 PM
inspector12
Drifting

Received 82 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by turbo-civic-si
I have used multiple AEM products and I would not recommend using an AEM product within the first 3 years of it being released. They let the customer do a lot of the debugging IMO. Although I am biased because a ProEFI is going in my car this winter. If you are building your own harness the ProEFI comes out to be ~500$ cheaper than the AEM. If your trying to choose between them do some research! Questions like who designed ProEFI and AEM Infinity. Supra forms can get you a lot of information about both systems. Main reasons to go ProEFI for me were traction control that WORKS! E85 supports that WORKS! Continued development! Great customer support! Don't get me wrong I liked AEM V1 and V2, never personally used the Infinity but they both had their issues that seamed to take long periods of time to fix.
I was just offering the information that I had. As far as the bugs on new systems they have often plaiged a lot of new systems as they did in the earlier versions of Pro EFI. Not saying which is best. I have Pro EFI as well LOL!
Old 12-15-2013, 10:32 PM
NICK YOSKIN
Le Mans Master

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

My suggestion is make your suspension and tires the best they can be before changing out the ECU. Once that is exhausted then move on to aftermarket ECU with traction control. Remember that once traction control is enabled your cutting HP so dont bandaid poor suspension/tires.
Old 12-15-2013, 11:06 PM
NICK YOSKIN
Le Mans Master

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Yup failsafes are a nice feature, plus EBC alky WB and gauge pod don't need to be purchased. Those $$$ can go towards ECU.

My failsafe is a AEM WB that diverts positive pressure away from EBC When triggered. Went this route as I run E38 SD and runs flawlessly so no reason. I understand that no tire suspension or ECU with TC will make up for just rotten weather or ext...to think otherwise isnt realistic

Last edited by NICK YOSKIN; 12-15-2013 at 11:17 PM.
Old 12-16-2013, 08:59 AM
Icevettez06
Racer

Originally Posted by Z06-TT
Call pro efi. Jason is hell of a guy and could help. Or I can help you Ingo.
Thanks for your support Devin.

Originally Posted by lt1z
That is because the 2005 is a one year only E40 ECM in the C6.
Will E40 be issue for the ProEFI ?

Originally Posted by turbo-civic-si
Thanks for the input.

Originally Posted by NICK YOSKIN
My suggestion is make your suspension and tires the best they can be before changing out the ECU. Once that is exhausted then move on to aftermarket ECU with traction control. Remember that once traction control is enabled your cutting HP so dont bandaid poor suspension/tires.
I already have QA1 and best 15” on the planet!! I assume you can control how much wheel spin you allow with the ECU.

For me to do this it needs to be something that will work without any issue as check engine lights ant think like that.

With setup like I have there are already lot of money spent on thinks like Boost controller, 2 step, speed converter for boost control and more if you want boost be gear. Then you are still missing save fall if you run out of meth or if you have fuel trouble.

I want something that will do all of those things in the same unit.
Old 12-16-2013, 10:12 AM
breecher_7
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Go with Haltech. I got chance to speak with both Eric from Haltech and one of the reps from Motec at PRI this past week.

Dont think you can go wrong with either but Haltech offers a plug and play harness for the C6, no screwing around. Plus the features that it offers is nearly endless.
Old 12-16-2013, 11:49 AM
Icevettez06
Racer

Originally Posted by breecher_7
Go with Haltech. I got chance to speak with both Eric from Haltech and one of the reps from Motec at PRI this past week.

Dont think you can go wrong with either but Haltech offers a plug and play harness for the C6, no screwing around. Plus the features that it offers is nearly endless.
I´m told that Haltech do not have traction control which is what I´m looking for!!
Old 12-16-2013, 01:07 PM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,084 Likes on 656 Posts

I'm a little busy right now so I cant get too elaborate on an answer here, but traction control is coming from Haltech by the end of the year, and the options just flat out blow away everything I have ever seen other then Motec.

You simply cannot compare the ECU to the other mentioned, drastically more options. I just spent yesterday in a 10 hr seminar that broke down both of the ECU's mentioned here, and it just strongly confirmed why we have stuck with Haltech.

PM me if you would like to discuss this in greater length, I am a little backed up though from being out the tail end of last week.

Get notified of new replies

To Pro EFI vs ?

Old 12-16-2013, 06:02 PM
turbo-civic-si
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DOUG @ ECS
I'm a little busy right now so I cant get too elaborate on an answer here, but traction control is coming from Haltech by the end of the year, and the options just flat out blow away everything I have ever seen other then Motec.

You simply cannot compare the ECU to the other mentioned, drastically more options. I just spent yesterday in a 10 hr seminar that broke down both of the ECU's mentioned here, and it just strongly confirmed why we have stuck with Haltech.

PM me if you would like to discuss this in greater length, I am a little backed up though from being out the tail end of last week.
How much would a complete install of Haltech coast with all options and all programing cables / software? Do they do a plug and play harness? Also have you ever sold or put a product on your customers cars that you didn't claim was 1000 times better than all other products like it? LOL I have no experience with Haltech, I bet its quite nice, but I do think its funny how much you endorse products that you choose to go with vs products you don't use. Please spend some time and tell us more than Haltech is better.
Old 12-16-2013, 06:16 PM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,084 Likes on 656 Posts

I'm catching up from being out of the office for PRI for the few days, but I will jump back in here and give a more lengthy response as to why I feel the Haltech is better.
A lot of the answers may be deeper then what your builds needs though, so in that case then no it would not be better. I look at it for a much broader base then one vehicle so that also sways my decision.

I can sell either product, and I'm not putting down any of them, I just prefer the Haltech from my experiences. I spend a great deal of time on this subject, so I feel I have a solid answer as to why I have the opinions I do.

Both are plug and play to the E38.
Old 12-17-2013, 10:54 AM
EGash
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by breecher_7

Good to meet you at PRI! Thanks for stopping by.

ive heard form a few shops.. haltech is great to idle. and for WOT. but the normal driving is a PITA to get tuned right... can be done but takes a lot of time to get it right.
This may be true of the older Haltech ECU's (more than 3-4 years old) when they were in Red aluminum cases, and used older halwin software but the new ECU's that use ECU Manager software and feature VE tuning are pretty straightforward to tune both startup, idle, WOT and drive ability. There are also considerable number of technical help videos on the Haltech website that provide useful information about using and tuning Haltech systems. Having said that, my opinion on this matter will clearly be biased ;-)

Originally Posted by Icevettez06
I´m told that Haltech do not have traction control which is what I´m looking for!!
at moment haltech has no TC.
The current Platinum Sport ECU has time based torque management strategies, and power reduction strategies (i.e. boost by gear, boost over speed, Ignition ramp over time, etc..) but does not feature Closed loop speed differential based Traction control.

Originally Posted by DOUG @ ECS
The new Elite ECU series, which was unveiled at SEMA/PRI and slated to release to the public in March/April, will feature T/C, along with DBW throttle, adaptive Knock control, and a long (LONG) list of additional features.

A few other things to consider when choosing between ProEFI and Haltech are ECU to PC communications, where the Pro EFI requires an expensive CAN cable to connect between the ECU and the PC, the Haltech includes a standard USB cable. The Pro EFI also does not have onboard datalogging, only an OE style fault checking system. Datalogging with a ProEFI requires the use of a CAN based datalogger system, an additional cost. The current Haltech ECU's have both onboard and PC based logging, and the new Elite series is slated to include High speed (1k hz) onboard logging, USB key logging, OE style fault checking, and PC based logging.

Quick Reply: Pro EFI vs ?