C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bought used A&A kit need advise/input

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 10:12 AM
chevnut55
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, getting a deWitts with it.
Ok I understand the cooler re routes now but do not care for deleting the P/S cooler.
Is there another way of keeping a cooler? another model vette? gm junkyard or aftermarket?
I plan on doing autox and some trackdays.
Old 03-10-2014, 11:14 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Find a place or way to mount it. You could mount an aftermarket cooler in the fender behind fog light and do some custom lines.

Base vettes don't have PS coolers and do just fine on auto-x and track days. I would just see if you have issues because I've never seen anyone have overheated PS fluid issues.
Old 03-10-2014, 11:25 AM
jon6.0
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I've had my base model on a 2.75 mile, 21 turn road course with no issues from the power steering. Oil temps were getting a bit high at 280F though.
Old 03-10-2014, 11:29 AM
chevnut55
Racer

True, but GM must have installed a cooler for a reason.
I installed one in the last few cars I built, but was hoping there was a bolt in aftermarket or gm option for this.
I think the base model has a small loop hardline for a cooler, I just removed and installed one in my 69 ls1 Camaro.

Last edited by chevnut55; 03-10-2014 at 11:31 AM.
Old 03-10-2014, 12:01 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

You can easily find a way or mount an aftermarket cooler if you want, I've just never seen anyone do it since I've never seen an issue. Just buy some lines and fab up a mount or buy a small cooler.

Then again I just removed my oil and tranny cooler so maybe I'm crazy and shouldn't be listened too.
Old 03-10-2014, 12:13 PM
jon6.0
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Lmfao.
Old 03-10-2014, 02:46 PM
M M Alexander
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by chevnut55
True, but GM must have installed a cooler for a reason.
I installed one in the last few cars I built, but was hoping there was a bolt in aftermarket or gm option for this.
I think the base model has a small loop hardline for a cooler, .
ECS included a replacement steering cooler and brackets to mount the factory oil cooler with my kit. I'm almost sure they sell those parts individually.
Old 03-10-2014, 05:07 PM
chevnut55
Racer

Hmm Ok, I just dug into it more, The oil cooler is the large one running the width of the rad in front Ok, the power steering Im talking about is mounted near the steering rack/balancer and should be no problem to keep even if it needs to be moved but does not look like it.
What I thought was the P/S cooler in the radiator are lines that run to the transmission.
I have never herd of a manual trans with a cooler. I do not see why it would need to stay.
After building a lot of pro touring cars and kit cobras Im big on cooling but I have never seen a street car with so many coolers even the rear.
So Im guessing the trans cooler line gets looped, now I need to figure out how to replace a qt. of fluid.it also surprised me to see pink ATF fluid in a manual.
Also I removed the balancer bolt, no impact or breaker,no problem, but the bolt will not come out because it hits the rack so the rack needs to be removed anyway.

Last edited by chevnut55; 03-10-2014 at 05:20 PM.
Old 03-10-2014, 05:33 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Your radiator should have the places to plug the tranny cooler in. Did you look at the radiator and see? Should just be a plug and play. All t56/6060/6070 and recent tremec manuals take ATF fluid.
Old 03-10-2014, 06:00 PM
chevnut55
Racer

Interesting, thanks. No not yet because the new dewitts rad is still on its way.
So will I be re installing the trans cooler in the new rad .
I got confused before I took it apart so I thought the new rad had oil cooler built into it, so Im question the oil cooler is just re- located instead?
Old 03-10-2014, 06:22 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

New radiator should have both oil and tranny cooler in it. Oil on drivers side and tranny on passenger side. If you didn't get the oil cooler in the radiator then you can relocate the factory cooler with the ECS brackets.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:51 PM
Streetk14
Melting Slicks

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by chevnut55
Interesting, thanks. No not yet because the new dewitts rad is still on its way.
So will I be re installing the trans cooler in the new rad .
I got confused before I took it apart so I thought the new rad had oil cooler built into it, so Im question the oil cooler is just re- located instead?
If you got the radiator that was in Rockin's car, then it should have the oil cooler built in. I posted in a thread of his where he was asking about his oil cooler lines, and I think he is sending the early Z51 line set with the kit.

Your stock GS oil cooler lines can plug into the DeWitts oil cooler, but swapping them out for the Z51 lines is a lot cleaner IMO. I've done it both ways, and swapping the lines is the way to go.

Oh, and unless he bought an extra set of oil cooler fittings when he installed his kit, you'll need to remove the stock fittings from your GS oil cooler and install them into the DeWitts radiator.
Old 03-11-2014, 08:47 AM
chevnut55
Racer

Great ,thats good news thanks. Ill wait until it gets here to ask anymore questions.
When I see it I understand it. reading instructions over and over is just confusing me.
Old 03-13-2014, 04:38 PM
chevnut55
Racer

It arrived. Everything seems to be there except the oil hoses and pin kit that were shipped separate.
Got most of the stuff done, tried waterpump,installed thermostat/plugs, moved some hoses.
Ordered the bolt/pin and oil from A&A , waiting to see if I need to pull the rack to see if I can pin it, if not I need to find some more $$$ fast for unreals damper .
Installing the BOP today. decided to polish the Paxton instead of blacking it out..more work, but its been fun.
Old 03-13-2014, 05:24 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Bolt can be grabbed at any dealer, and pins are available at hardware stores if you don't want to wait.
Old 03-14-2014, 09:39 AM
chevnut55
Racer

True, I should see if I can get the bolt out today, If I need to pull the rack I will need to wait another week for the balancer to get here.
Old 03-15-2014, 08:35 AM
chevnut55
Racer

Got the bolt out, would have been simple, 4 cradle bolt and 2 motor mount bolts, there was a problem because the p/s rack nipple was dead center of the bolt so I pried the motor the the right and it barely came out.
Note you can not pull the balancer this way which is Bad because I want to.
Installed the BOP , spaced the rad support moved horns, installed plugs/wires.
Im stuck waiting now hoping the rest will arrive, Should be getting another box with the oil lines, pin guide tool, and looks like 2 bracket bolts are missing.
Guess I will polish the thing while waiting.

Last edited by chevnut55; 03-15-2014 at 08:46 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Bought used A&A kit need advise/input

Old 03-17-2014, 10:35 AM
chevnut55
Racer

Anyone have a crank pin guide I can borrow ?next day it too me and I will pay the shipping or if in S.E.Ma. can pick up and return .
Was hoping to complete the install this week.
Old 03-18-2014, 02:17 PM
chevnut55
Racer

the install is at a standstill now until I get a pin guide so decided to completely polish the Paxton and a few other parts.
If I knew I would be waiting on parts anyway I would have ordered the damper. Too late I need to get it done.
Attached Images   
Old 03-24-2014, 12:38 AM
ravill
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Since you are about to get to this step, when you finally get that A and A guide, the guide that needs to mount in the correct direction or else the pin won't go deep enough.

Here is a pic of the guide.

Front:

Back:

"Guiding":

Crank pinned:

Really an aftermarket damper is a piece of jewelry compared to the stock damper. After hearing horror story after horror story, I just had to buy an aftermarket piece.

It's not a bad idea to buy an aftermarket crank bolt either. The mounting procedure for a stock bolt is crazy! The ARP bolt you just use a little loctite and torque I didn't have a hard time getting the correct torque on the bolt.

Quick Reply: Bought used A&A kit need advise/input