C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone Ever Scavenge a TTIX Kit

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 11:22 PM
jon6.0
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

OP, is your oil pump stock or high pressure/high volume? For a scavenge pump the Turbowerx pump seems to be the ticket from the research I've done. A spendy little sucker though.

Originally Posted by Chris Stewart
Stick with ball bearing turbo and you'll avoid this problem.
Wouldn't your want to run a restricted feed line to a ball bearing turbo?
Old 06-07-2014, 12:47 AM
DSteck
Safety Car

Received 83 Likes on 42 Posts
Tech Contributor

The TTIx kit has restrictors in the oil lines. I run the ball bearing Precisions on mine and have zero problems.
Old 06-07-2014, 01:42 AM
jon6.0
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by DSteck
The TTIx kit has restrictors in the oil lines. I run the ball bearing Precisions on mine and have zero problems.
That's why I'm curious to know if he has a different oil pump in his motor. Wouldn't that change what size restrictor you would want to use? Possibly over feeding the turbo?
Old 06-07-2014, 02:22 AM
Chris Stewart
Safety Car

Received 118 Likes on 78 Posts

5 Liter Eater mentioned in a different thread that these are journal bearing turbos. Bill did you have ball bearing style originally, and did you remove the oil restrictors for these turbos? In my discussions with George about journal vs ball bearing, he always recommends the ball bearing. Sadly they seem to run twice the price, but he believes they hold up better when you push em. I would assume less oiling issues for ball bearing since they use so little. Here's a startup vid with my oil supply, using restrictors.

Old 06-07-2014, 08:52 AM
RoadRebel
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jon6.0
That's why I'm curious to know if he has a different oil pump in his motor. Wouldn't that change what size restrictor you would want to use? Possibly over feeding the turbo?
Yes that is a common issue, and yes the restrictors should be resized accordingly.

Also, I tested and ran a scavenge pump on my C6 to validate it for the road race guys. With the close proximity of the oil level to the drain height in the pan the high G cornering is an issue. It works fine but with a few quirks that may need addressing with the oil level remaining in the lines and shutdown. Its all defendant on how you run the lines and placement of the pump etc.
Old 06-07-2014, 09:49 AM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

I run the Melling high volume high pressure pump. The issue just started and it's only at hot idle with about 20# of oil pressure. As Chris stated these are full journal bearing Turbonetics so I didn't restrict them. Although I don't know that the old ones were restricted either as I never saw any unless it was in the flange on top of the turbo but Chris' video seems to indicate their upstream somewhere and Dave says so too. So maybe they are restricted LOL. Guess I'll take a closer look at the lines.

Last edited by 5 Liter Eater; 06-07-2014 at 09:56 AM.
Old 06-07-2014, 11:56 AM
RoadRebel
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 5 Liter Eater
I run the Melling high volume high pressure pump. The issue just started and it's only at hot idle with about 20# of oil pressure. As Chris stated these are full journal bearing Turbonetics so I didn't restrict them. Although I don't know that the old ones were restricted either as I never saw any unless it was in the flange on top of the turbo but Chris' video seems to indicate their upstream somewhere and Dave says so too. So maybe they are restricted LOL. Guess I'll take a closer look at the lines.
Restrictors are built into the AN fittings typically located in the T-block feeding the lines to the turbos. Also the bearing turbos are restricted much more than a bushed.
Old 06-07-2014, 12:59 PM
Chris Stewart
Safety Car

Received 118 Likes on 78 Posts

Yes check at the other end of the oil feed line, coming from the oil adapter. Some little brass inserts probably in there. Interesting about the cornering road race setup, I bet that is fun with 900rwhp.
Old 06-08-2014, 12:10 AM
Vince99FRC
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bill remember when we were discussing oil restrictors I mentioned I was changing mine to 90 thousands. I use Mikuni jets as restrictors. Like Phil said they are in the t block near the oil filter. The turbos we have only came with a screen filter in the feed lines.

Old 06-08-2014, 01:45 AM
mdaniel
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Stewart
Interesting about the cornering road race setup, I bet that is fun with 900rwhp.
I love my X kit car, but I suspect the car would melt before turn three. A heads/cam Z06 is where it's at for road racing IMO. This is why I have two cars. One for street/drag (TTi X) and another for road racing (heads/cam/headers).
Old 06-08-2014, 01:50 AM
jon6.0
Melting Slicks

NA is definitely where it's at for road racing. Centri blower cars aren't too horrible either for HPDE. Keeping the fasteners and manifolds alive while being heat cycled on a road course is hell on a turbo car. In my Miata days the turbo guys had so many issues.
Old 06-09-2014, 12:05 PM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '11

The C5 kit is different. The C6 kit has a stand off in between the block and oil pressure sender that you have to drill and tap two holes for NPT>AN fittings for the -3 oil lines to connect to for the feed like Phil was saying. I am pretty positive there were no restrictors in the AN fittings I screwed into the stand off but I'll double check.
Old 07-09-2014, 11:42 AM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '11

I've finished rebuilding my turbos and am pretty happy with how they came out. I saved quite a bit. Turbonetics wanted ~$1000 to rebuild both. The DIY kits were $175 each plus $150 in balancing ($500 total).

I think (like JM said) my crankcase pressure issues have always given the turbos a hard time draining. Although I have one -10 off each valve cover now and that "should" be enough, I'm not chancing ruining the turbos again. If they have to come off again they're coming off for good. So I've invested in an Exapump scavenging pump and -10 drain lines (to the tune of ~$700) which should be going in this weekend.

George @ TTI confirmed that kits shipped with BB turbos (which my old ones were) have restrictors in the -3 AN fittings that tap into the stand off for the oil pressure sender (on the C6). So I'm going to take the manifold off and confirm, because I shouldn't have restrictors in them with full journal bearing turbos and I want them to get as much oil as possible now that I'll be scavenging them.
Old 04-23-2015, 12:05 PM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '11

I forgot to update this thread. So my DIY turbo rebuild ended up being a nightmare. The shop in town I had balance the wheels must have fuked them up because they howled from the get go and wore out the journal bearings in <100 miles. So I had to yank them again and ended up getting new center sections from Turbonetics which is acutally the way to go because a new center section costs just as much as sending yours to Turbonetics to be rebuilt.

Anyhoo. Since the turbos are journal and I was confident the turbos would be able to get rid of all the oil after converting to scavenging I increased the oil feed lines to -4's. I mounted an exapump up on the front cradle and ran -10's from the turbos to a -10 tee and up to the exapump and a -10 back to the old drain hole in the passenger side of the pan that the turbo used to gravity drain into (drivers side hole plugged). I've been running this way for a while and haven't had a hint of smoke out the back and when I took the turbos out when the block cracked recently, they were still in great shape, no free play in the turbine or compressor wheels and spin free. It seemed like any other time I would take them out they had gotten loose on me. Not sure whats special about my setup that it needed scavenging but I'm happy with the outcome.
Old 04-23-2015, 12:40 PM
Blackonblacksls
Drifting

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

I forgot to update this thread. So my DIY turbo rebuild ended up being a nightmare. The shop in town I had balance the wheels must have fuked them up because they howled from the get go and wore out the journal bearings in <100 miles. So I had to yank them again and ended up getting new center sections from Turbonetics which is acutally the way to go because a new center section costs just as much as sending yours to Turbonetics to be rebuilt.

Anyhoo. Since the turbos are journal and I was confident the turbos would be able to get rid of all the oil after converting to scavenging I increased the oil feed lines to -4's. I mounted an exapump up on the front cradle and ran -10's from the turbos to a -10 tee and up to the exapump and a -10 back to the old drain hole in the passenger side of the pan that the turbo used to gravity drain into (drivers side hole plugged). I've been running this way for a while and haven't had a hint of smoke out the back and when I took the turbos out when the block cracked recently, they were still in great shape, no free play in the turbine or compressor wheels and spin free. It seemed like any other time I would take them out they had gotten loose on me. Not sure whats special about my setup that it needed scavenging but I'm happy with the outcome.

I know it's after the fact for you.

But when I had my low mount turbo setup.

The builders of that pump said since the pump creates such a huge suction, anything larger than -6 was pointless..

So I took their advice and ran -6 train from turbo to pump to motor. And never had a single issue.

Quick Reply: Anyone Ever Scavenge a TTIX Kit