C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blew ls2 n/a 550rwh motor building new 402 stroker FI

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 08:42 PM
Torado88
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Blew ls2 n/a 550rwh motor building new 402 stroker FI

So started with a rocker that blew out and sent the needle bearing into the oil pan. Changed the rocker as a quick patch job and flushed oil out. all of a sudden 1 month later lost all oil pressure. while tearing the motor apart i found a shim in the pan all broken up. looked around on the fourms and on alldata and i have not been able to locate where this shim goes only place that might take this shim is behind the timming gear to space the gear closer to the cam sensor. (the cam was a g5x3 cam from LG performance and cam and heads where installed by them) So i decided it was time to build me a 402 single turbo or TT idk yet but my goal now is to hit 800+rwh on pump gas for daily driving. And 1000+whp in rocket mode. looking for options on what stroker kit, cam and turbo kit to use for this build. here are some of the carnage pic
Attached Images       
Old 06-22-2014, 08:51 PM
Torado88
Intermediate

More pics. issues seen are ring gap not set right, skirt to cylinder wall made contact, Missing head alignment pins.
Attached Images    
Old 06-22-2014, 11:12 PM
needcheese
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry to hear about your luck. I had an LS3 with G6X3. The lifters gave out on me after 35,000 miles. I had nice metal floating in the oil. I have since rebuilt forge internals with stock displacement. I installed a&a v3-ti. The last dyno pulled got me 672 hp at 538ft/lb. This is 93 octane only.
Old 06-23-2014, 12:24 PM
Torado88
Intermediate

Originally Posted by needcheese
Sorry to hear about your luck. I had an LS3 with G6X3. The lifters gave out on me after 35,000 miles. I had nice metal floating in the oil. I have since rebuilt forge internals with stock displacement. I installed a&a v3-ti. The last dyno pulled got me 672 hp at 538ft/lb. This is 93 octane only.
That sounds like a strong build, Thanks for the input. Any vids on the car.https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...s/thumbsup.gif
Old 06-23-2014, 05:46 PM
needcheese
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I do not have any posted up. The sound is very bad on the one I have of the last pull. I recorded it with the cell phone. East Texas Muscle Cars in Longview, TX did the tune. I have there stage 2 blower cam and got the A&A kit from them. They are a forum vendor.
Old 06-24-2014, 12:34 AM
C6smackdown
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

It looks like the shim/seal that goes right behind the crank pulley.
Old 09-11-2014, 07:24 PM
C U IN REARVEIW
Le Mans Master

Received 109 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by needcheese

Why is it that these stock motors/parts can go for hundreds of thousands of miles w/o failure. ....but we spend thousands of dollars on high performance parts for these cars and the parts just don't seem to hold up nearly as well. Is it due to installation errors?
Old 09-11-2014, 07:35 PM
MARSC6
Le Mans Master

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by C U IN REARVEIW
Why is it that these stock motors/parts can go for hundreds of thousands of miles w/o failure. ....but we spend thousands of dollars on high performance parts for these cars and the parts just don't seem to hold up nearly as well. Is it due to installation errors?
This is why I would most likely replace with another stock motor if mine ever goes. Seems like far more failures are occurring on built engines. The performance parts may be stronger but seem to be much less durable.
Old 09-11-2014, 08:48 PM
Slo-Poc
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Ttix or upp both make twin kits, upp offers two type of turbo kits. A well built motor with a good clutch and simple turbo setup is going to rip on the street at 800 and fly at 1000. Gl with the build
Old 09-12-2014, 08:39 PM
C U IN REARVEIW
Le Mans Master

Received 109 Likes on 100 Posts

Any explanations for this?
Old 09-12-2014, 09:01 PM
Streetk14
Melting Slicks

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Both those LG cams have very aggressive lobe profiles from what I know. By that I mean: they're very hard on valvetrain parts. Stock cams have mild lobe designs that are easy on parts, but they leave power on the table.

I don't know what led to these ^^^ two guys failures, but there is more maintenance involved when you have an aggressive cam like that. Lobes like Comp's LSL or LSK profiles are very hard on springs, and they need to be checked on a fairly regular basis. Valve float is never a good thing, and could be what caused at least one of these failures. But any time you're adding stiffer springs and more aggressive lobes to other stock valvetrain parts (i.e. lifters and rockers), there is going to be more risk.

Nothing is free when it comes to modifying for performance.
Old 09-13-2014, 01:08 AM
Pitufina
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

I believe is a combination of lack of attention to detail from some builders and tunes on the edge due to now having "forged or better parts". That seems to be a misconception.

Get notified of new replies

To Blew ls2 n/a 550rwh motor building new 402 stroker FI

Quick Reply: Blew ls2 n/a 550rwh motor building new 402 stroker FI