C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A&A and SMOG in California

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 09:05 PM
Streetk14
Melting Slicks

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvettinator
Actually, the passing of CARB was done by A&A Corvette, not Vortech, and it was only in the last 3 years or so. So if you bought one before that, it wouldn't have had a CARB # yet.
That is actually not quite correct. The earlier A&A kits came with head units that carried Vortech's CARB certification number for their (Vortech) C6 Corvette supercharger systems. Technically, the A&A system wasn't smog legal, but the number that came on the head units really made it a non-issue.

A&A just did their own CARB certification in the last year or so. That you are correct about. I bought a T-trim head unit from A&A back in 2010, and it had the Vortech CARB number. It was what made me choose A&A over ECS -- and something ECS was never too happy with as it wasn't truly legal.

Last edited by Streetk14; 07-24-2014 at 09:08 PM.
Old 07-25-2014, 02:47 PM
tlove32
Melting Slicks

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Streetk14
That is actually not quite correct. The earlier A&A kits came with head units that carried Vortech's CARB certification number for their (Vortech) C6 Corvette supercharger systems. Technically, the A&A system wasn't smog legal, but the number that came on the head units really made it a non-issue.

A&A just did their own CARB certification in the last year or so. That you are correct about. I bought a T-trim head unit from A&A back in 2010, and it had the Vortech CARB number. It was what made me choose A&A over ECS -- and something ECS was never too happy with as it wasn't truly legal.

Vortech had CARB legal kits dating back to the C5 (and C4 too I believe). With A&A using the Vortech head unit, it allowed us CA residents to have no issues whatsoever with passing smog. I have an A&A kit from 2009....with a CARB id stamped on the Vortech head unit

Last edited by tlove32; 07-25-2014 at 02:49 PM.
Old 07-26-2014, 12:13 PM
Boat Racer
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by tlove32

Vortech had CARB legal kits dating back to the C5 (and C4 too I believe). With A&A using the Vortech head unit, it allowed us CA residents to have no issues whatsoever with passing smog. I have an A&A kit from 2009....with a CARB id stamped on the Vortech head unit
I stand corrected on my earlier statement. I just checked and I do have a CARB number stamped on the Vortech head. I think it must have been the long tube headers that caused the visual inspection failure.
Old 07-26-2014, 06:15 PM
Streetk14
Melting Slicks

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Boat Racer
I stand corrected on my earlier statement. I just checked and I do have a CARB number stamped on the Vortech head. I think it must have been the long tube headers that caused the visual inspection failure.
Yeah, the headers will definitely do it. Got to either swap them out every couple years once the car is old enough to get into the regular testing phase, or replace them with something like a Z06/ZR1 manifold setup that looks original.

There's a reason I like playing with cars that are either pre-smog, or new enough that no testing/inspection is required
Old 08-20-2014, 04:34 PM
psxer989
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I finally got my car smogged. No issues at all. Tech didn't even ask about CARB. I was in and out in 10 minutes. Anyone near Corona should check out AA Smog Center.

Larry
Old 08-20-2014, 08:01 PM
Mike's LS3
Safety Car

Received 733 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by psxer989
I finally got my car smogged. No issues at all. Tech didn't even ask about CARB. I was in and out in 10 minutes. Anyone near Corona should check out AA Smog Center.

Larry
Hey Larry,

Thanks for reporting back! A&A Corvette will be installing a V3 Si soon and I will also need a smog certificate at the end of the year.

What S/C and pulley size did you have installed? What was your RWHP with the conservative tune? You can PM me if you prefer.

Thanks.
Old 08-21-2014, 11:52 AM
psxer989
Racer

Mike, I had the V3 put in last year. Pulley is the 3.8" since I have an LS2. I had 140,000 on my car at the time (daily driver) so maximum hp wasn't ideal. Right now I get 500 to the wheels. I have an A6 and the downshifts were annoying, especially in traffic. Seems common with automatics. One of the transmission vendors here customized my tune to eliminate the problem.
Old 08-21-2014, 12:07 PM
Corvettinator
Drifting

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Mike, I had the V3 put in last year. Pulley is the 3.8" since I have an LS2. I had 140,000 on my car at the time (daily driver) so maximum hp wasn't ideal. Right now I get 500 to the wheels. I have an A6 and the downshifts were annoying, especially in traffic. Seems common with automatics. One of the transmission vendors here customized my tune to eliminate the problem.
I understand going more conservatively in a high miles car, but LS2's are actually more boost tolerant than LS3's due to lower compression, no?
Old 08-21-2014, 12:15 PM
psxer989
Racer

No, the Ls2 has higher compression than the Ls3.
Old 08-21-2014, 03:28 PM
Mike's LS3
Safety Car

Thanks Larry, under the same circumstances I would do the same.
Old 08-21-2014, 03:30 PM
Mike's LS3
Safety Car

I understand going more conservatively in a high miles car, but LS2's are actually more boost tolerant than LS3's due to lower compression, no?
LS2 - 10.9 CR
LS3 - 10.7 CR with better flowing heads, air intake, intake manifold and added strength to the block webbing. The rod bolts were
upgraded along with piston ring design for improved oil control. The LS3 has many little improvements that should make it more
boost tolerant.

Last edited by Mike's LS3; 08-21-2014 at 03:51 PM.
Old 08-21-2014, 06:58 PM
Corvettinator
Drifting

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike's LS3
LS2 - 10.9 CR
LS3 - 10.7 CR with better flowing heads, air intake, intake manifold and added strength to the block webbing. The rod bolts were
upgraded along with piston ring design for improved oil control. The LS3 has many little improvements that should make it more
boost tolerant.
Wow, I could have sworn I read the opposite somewhere. Damn Internet forums!

Amazing how much I learn here about Vette models I don't have.

Anyway, enjoy the "new" car. Andy did mine (that's my GS on their dyno in my avatar), and I went back to A&A for meth. Contemplating my next mod.

Last edited by Corvettinator; 08-21-2014 at 07:01 PM.
Old 08-21-2014, 08:29 PM
Mike's LS3
Safety Car

Wow, I could have sworn I read the opposite somewhere. Damn Internet forums!

Amazing how much I learn here about Vette models I don't have.

Anyway, enjoy the "new" car. Andy did mine (that's my GS on their dyno in my avatar), and I went back to A&A for meth. Contemplating my next mod.
Awesome! I'll post an update in a few weeks when it gets installed.

Quick Reply: A&A and SMOG in California