C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does Gearing favor a centrifugal over a PD blower?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 12:27 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

Originally Posted by ProChargerTech
Agree Someone already said the magical words "Usable Power"

No need to add 200ft lbs of TQ at 2,000rpm to a car that already has no issues turning a set of tires into smoke stock.

Street Car: how often is it being floored below 2,500rpm? Not often. (Drop down a gear, and GO!)
Drag Car: again, nobody really launches a car at idle speed. can't beat the top end pull of a centri blower, and the lack of heat soak.
Mile Car: again lack of heat soak, and top end power wins
Road Race Car: its always up in the RPMs, HP and lack of heat soak win

Take two vettes on similar power numbers/boost. (One roots, one Centri) And run them at the track, its pretty simple which one usually wins, and then hot lap them, and see what happens. Or drive them strait to the track, and run them with no cool down. (just as if you would out on the street)

Wanna do burnouts = Roots blower
Wanna go fast, with less stress on the motor = Centri blower

Might be a bit biased
Do you have a direct email addy or PM box available? Got a question for you..
Old 08-22-2014, 12:36 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Originally Posted by Streetk14
Yep.... I just feel the packaging isn't there on the C6. I like cars that are low maintenance and easy to work on. Most of the C6 turbo kits don't fit that bill for me. That new UPP system looks promising, but I guess we'll see how that goes.
I think that one looks like the worst of the bunch. A bunch of exhaust piping running around in the engine bay is the last thing I want in a daily driver. Race car, ok, street car, no thanks. Only way I would do turbos if they are in a place meant to be hot, like where the factory cats are.
Old 08-22-2014, 12:42 PM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Received 1,339 Likes on 947 Posts

Originally Posted by realcanuk
This is well said and I agree 100%. I own a PD car, but have driven centri vettes more than once. Both are amazing, just different. That's why I don't knock either, and think its about personal preference.
Yup, and that's why I would suggest that anyone unsure should at least get a ride in both. Better yet, drive both. Then you know.
Old 08-22-2014, 08:36 PM
Streetk14
Melting Slicks

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Unreal
I think that one looks like the worst of the bunch. A bunch of exhaust piping running around in the engine bay is the last thing I want in a daily driver. Race car, ok, street car, no thanks. Only way I would do turbos if they are in a place meant to be hot, like where the factory cats are.
Well, I guess it's either that or having the turbos stuffed into an area that is really hard to access/service. I've heard the TTi kits are a major PITA to do anything turbo related on. Really no great solutions for these cars. I get my turbo fix on my N54 car. I'll stick to blowers on the corvettes.
Old 08-22-2014, 09:00 PM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Received 1,339 Likes on 947 Posts

Well, I guess it's either that or having the turbos stuffed into an area that is really hard to access/service. I've heard the TTi kits are a major PITA to do anything turbo related on. Really no great solutions for these cars. I get my turbo fix on my N54 car. I'll stick to blowers on the corvettes.
Agree. A standard turbo (or, in this case turbos) system is a little "busy", at best, in my book. Add to that, the lack of room under a C6 hood. Add to that, the added complexity of the pumps to evacuate the oil from the turbos on most systems. You end up with a lot of extra air plumbing, extra oil plumbing, and the electrical to support all of it. If I had an unlimited budget.....and Streetk14 to keep it all running....a turbo system might make sense
Old 08-23-2014, 09:20 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Exactly. Too much crap stuffed into a tiny space, with too many compromises to make it fit.

Now on a camaro or mustang, different story. Plenty of room, can fit good size turbos with no issues, easy to plumb.
Old 08-27-2014, 10:59 AM
0ProChargerTech
Former Vendor

Received 68 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by ajrothm
Do you have a direct email addy or PM box available? Got a question for you..
socialmedia@procharger.com
That email will go to myself directly.

All other service/generic questions service@procharger.com
Sales related questions sales@procharger.com

Quick Reply: Does Gearing favor a centrifugal over a PD blower?