C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Base Non-NPP Mufflers & FI

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 01:59 PM
Pitufina
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Base Non-NPP Mufflers & FI

Are they bad for an LS3 with ECS kit, cam, headers and o/r x pipe? I currently have '11 ZR1 NPPs and those things scream at wot!
I don't have the blower installed yet, but I'm concerned that the loudness and attention might be too much. At the same time I am also thinking if the non npp will hurt me bad power wise. I've seen people make over 600rwhp with them.

What do you think? Any suggestions? I heard the regular npps aren't near as loud since they have the perforated tube on the high side.

Thanks.
Old 08-27-2014, 02:25 PM
filmjay
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '10

Hmmm....I was thinking of swapping to the ZR1 NPP's. I have the base NPP on a ECS blower car...614 to the wheels through the base NPPs here.

Want to trade!?!
Old 08-27-2014, 02:53 PM
Pitufina
Drifting

Originally Posted by filmjay
Hmmm....I was thinking of swapping to the ZR1 NPP's. I have the base NPP on a ECS blower car...614 to the wheels through the base NPPs here.

Want to trade!?!
I wouldn't mind trading. What year are those? How many miles?
Old 08-27-2014, 03:32 PM
White_Lightning
Melting Slicks

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by filmjay

Want to trade!?!
what is the reason to swap? i know that the base NPP is good to 1100+rwhp
Old 08-27-2014, 03:41 PM
Pitufina
Drifting

Originally Posted by White_Lightning
what is the reason to swap? i know that the base NPP is good to 1100+rwhp
If the base npp is able to handle that kind of power, do you think the base non-npp are a restriction below 650rwhp?

I know you are at 1300+rwhp now, so I'm sure that you aren't using the base npp right now, correct?
Old 08-27-2014, 03:52 PM
White_Lightning
Melting Slicks

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Pitufina
If the base npp is able to handle that kind of power, do you think the base non-npp are a restriction below 650rwhp?

I know you are at 1300+rwhp now, so I'm sure that you aren't using the base npp right now, correct?
i moved to the Z06 npp.. just because my base NPP mufflers were literealy beat to death with a hammer before to make my LG sway bars fit lol...
im not a fan of the base mufflers.. i would keep base NPP and just leave it closed when cruising. from what i have seen the base exhaust is very restrictive
Old 08-27-2014, 04:15 PM
Pitufina
Drifting

Originally Posted by White_Lightning
i moved to the Z06 npp.. just because my base NPP mufflers were literealy beat to death with a hammer before to make my LG sway bars fit lol...
im not a fan of the base mufflers.. i would keep base NPP and just leave it closed when cruising. from what i have seen the base exhaust is very restrictive
I dont have the base npp, but the zr1s which are loud and hence the thread. I dont know if all zr1 npps are the same throughout the years, but I think in 2011 the zo6's adopted the same npp. They are not built like the base npps. The perforated side is on the low side unlike the base npps which are on the high side. So at wot the zr1s are really an attention getter when you have full exhaust. That's why people do the muffler mod on the pre '11 zo6 and base npp mufflers.
Old 08-27-2014, 07:15 PM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Received 1,339 Likes on 947 Posts

Just to clarifly, folks do the "muffler mod" to Z06 mufflers to make them as loud as NPP mufflers. NPP is the option code for the optional bi mode mufflers available on Non Z06 and ZR1 Vettes. Z06 and ZR1's come stock with their own version of bi mode mufflers. They don't come with NPP's.
Old 08-27-2014, 11:45 PM
Streetk14
Melting Slicks

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Yep to ^ that.

Just to go a little more in depth, I've had all three styles of bi-mode C6 exhaust. Loudness wise, the ZR1 and regular C6 NPP mufflers are about the same. Both have the "solid" loud side piping. The real difference is that Zr1 mufflers are 3" where they connect to the x-pipe and they won't fit an x-pipe designed for 2.5" mufflers. The ZR1 and Z06 mufflers both neck down to 2.5" before entering the muffler.

The early Z06 cans are the quiet ones. They'd be what I'd look into if yuk want something quieter than the ZR1 style. That and they're cheap used.

For what it's worth, I thought my ZR1 mufflers sounded the best of the three. Just the best tone, in my opinion.
Old 08-28-2014, 05:32 AM
Pitufina
Drifting

Originally Posted by old motorhead
Just to clarifly, folks do the "muffler mod" to Z06 mufflers to make them as loud as NPP mufflers. NPP is the option code for the optional bi mode mufflers available on Non Z06 and ZR1 Vettes. Z06 and ZR1's come stock with their own version of bi mode mufflers. They don't come with NPP's.
Originally Posted by Streetk14
Yep to ^ that.

Just to go a little more in depth, I've had all three styles of bi-mode C6 exhaust. Loudness wise, the ZR1 and regular C6 NPP mufflers are about the same. Both have the "solid" loud side piping. The real difference is that Zr1 mufflers are 3" where they connect to the x-pipe and they won't fit an x-pipe designed for 2.5" mufflers. The ZR1 and Z06 mufflers both neck down to 2.5" before entering the muffler.

The early Z06 cans are the quiet ones. They'd be what I'd look into if yuk want something quieter than the ZR1 style. That and they're cheap used.

For what it's worth, I thought my ZR1 mufflers sounded the best of the three. Just the best tone, in my opinion.
Thank you very much for the clarification. I thought I had it right, but I'm obviously wrong. I'm either going to have to forget about the power loss with the base non-npp mufflers or move to the early z06 or get something different.

I would still like to know if there are others that have any personal experience using the non-npp with forced induction.
Old 08-28-2014, 10:40 AM
Streetk14
Melting Slicks

Thank you very much for the clarification. I thought I had it right, but I'm obviously wrong. I'm either going to have to forget about the power loss with the base non-npp mufflers or move to the early z06 or get something different.

I would still like to know if there are others that have any personal experience using the non-npp with forced induction.

I'd personally think the base C6 mufflers would be a restriction. That's something I wouldn't even try running.

If you want to swap to pre-2011 Z06 mufflers, you're going to have to change the X-pipe, or at least the rear connecting pipes if they're replaceable on their own. But otherwise, they're a cheap option and support good power from what I've seen. I actually have a set of "muffler modded" Z06 cans sitting behind me as I type this. I have no need for them.

For what it's worth, you can do a bi-mode exhaust and keep it closed all the time if you really want. It sounds like you don't have a factory NPP car, so you'd have to retrofit a system, but those are easy to find. My '08 didn't come with NPP, so I used B&B's retrofit kit. It came with a vacuum reservoir and mild 2 wild remote control kit. Then I added a one-way check valve right at the intake manifold connection. That thing would hold vacuum for weeks at a time. I could have made a full mile WOT pull with the flaps shut if I'd wanted -- not that I ever wanted to do that.

With the ZR1 mufflers, it really was the best of both worlds. It was so quiet with the flaps closed that I rarely closed them, but it was nice to have the option.
Old 08-28-2014, 12:57 PM
Pitufina
Drifting

Originally Posted by Streetk14
I'd personally think the base C6 mufflers would be a restriction. That's something I wouldn't even try running.

If you want to swap to pre-2011 Z06 mufflers, you're going to have to change the X-pipe, or at least the rear connecting pipes if they're replaceable on their own. But otherwise, they're a cheap option and support good power from what I've seen. I actually have a set of "muffler modded" Z06 cans sitting behind me as I type this. I have no need for them.

For what it's worth, you can do a bi-mode exhaust and keep it closed all the time if you really want. It sounds like you don't have a factory NPP car, so you'd have to retrofit a system, but those are easy to find. My '08 didn't come with NPP, so I used B&B's retrofit kit. It came with a vacuum reservoir and mild 2 wild remote control kit. Then I added a one-way check valve right at the intake manifold connection. That thing would hold vacuum for weeks at a time. I could have made a full mile WOT pull with the flaps shut if I'd wanted -- not that I ever wanted to do that.

With the ZR1 mufflers, it really was the best of both worlds. It was so quiet with the flaps closed that I rarely closed them, but it was nice to have the option.
You are correct. My 08 didnt come with npp, so I ran a vacuum line from behind the intake and the flaps are normally closed during cruising and idle. I just consider the zr1s a little too loud for my taste and it does concerns me what is going to happen when boost come into the equation.
Old 08-28-2014, 10:22 PM
Streetk14
Melting Slicks

You are correct. My 08 didnt come with npp, so I ran a vacuum line from behind the intake and the flaps are normally closed during cruising and idle. I just consider the zr1s a little too loud for my taste and it does concerns me what is going to happen when boost come into the equation.
Yeah, they're pretty loud with headers. My old car used to scare the hell out of people sometimes.

But I guess my point was that if you install a check-valve and a vacuum reservoir, you can keep the flaps closed at all times if you want. Not sure how good that would be for the mufflers at high rpm, but it's an option.

I love that I can control my exhaust with the DashLogic in the GS. I'm assuming the factory vacuum control system has a vacuum accumulator of some sort, because I can nail it and get into boost while the flaps stay shut. Most aftermarket "mild to wild" setups don't include a vacuum reservoir. B&B makes a nice setup that does.
Old 08-29-2014, 03:29 AM
narfdanarf
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Back when I was just all motor I think I gained 14hp from base mufflers to modded z06 mufflers..this was at the 400whp level. I would imagine it would exponentially climb as power went up.
Old 08-29-2014, 10:59 AM
Pitufina
Drifting

Originally Posted by narfdanarf
Back when I was just all motor I think I gained 14hp from base mufflers to modded z06 mufflers..this was at the 400whp level. I would imagine it would exponentially climb as power went up.
Oh wow! I didn't expect to hear that. I'm going to have to stick with the bi-modes if I'm running the chance of losing that much power. Thanks for your input!
Old 08-29-2014, 11:09 AM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Received 1,339 Likes on 947 Posts

Oh wow! I didn't expect to hear that. I'm going to have to stick with the bi-modes if I'm running the chance of losing that much power. Thanks for your input!
I saw a 20 hp difference, flaps closed vs flaps open, on a 475hp cam only LS3. I do think the non NPP stockers would be better than the NPP's with the flaps closed. As per GM, the difference between stock mufflers and NPP's with the flaps open is a whoppin' 6 hp on a stock LS3.
Old 08-29-2014, 02:43 PM
Pitufina
Drifting

Originally Posted by old motorhead
I saw a 20 hp difference, flaps closed vs flaps open, on a 475hp cam only LS3. I do think the non NPP stockers would be better than the NPP's with the flaps closed. As per GM, the difference between stock mufflers and NPP's with the flaps open is a whoppin' 6 hp on a stock LS3.
If the loss in a cam only can be 20hp I can only assume that the loss would be greater with FI. That's not good at all! Thx

Get notified of new replies

To Base Non-NPP Mufflers & FI

Quick Reply: Base Non-NPP Mufflers & FI