C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hot Start Issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 02:04 AM
JetstreamGS
Drifting

Received 173 Likes on 147 Posts
Default Hot Start Issues

2011GS with a cam and a&a kit experiencing some intermittent hot start issues. Attempting to restart a warm engine (even hours after it has been shut off) and car needs throttle to fire up otherwise it just stalls out. It has done this in the past but I attributed it to the hot temp. It happened again tonight and it was pretty cool out. Anyone else experience this? Any input? Is it tune related?
Old 08-28-2014, 11:08 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Battery and starter are the first places to check. If it has headers then wrap the starter to protect it.
Old 08-28-2014, 11:36 AM
whatcop?
Le Mans Master

Location: Daytona Beach/ Atlanta---- Good Ol' Florida Boy/ Georgia
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Buddies car with an A&A kit and fore fuel system was doing it. What we found was that the fuel line was getting air in it from boiling the fuel and the battery was too weak to prime the system quick enough. He put a deep cycle marine battery in the car and it almost 100% eliminate the problem.
Old 08-29-2014, 07:51 PM
Streetk14
Melting Slicks

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

It cranks just fine, but fires up and sputters/stalls, right? If so, it's likely something tune related, and nothing to do with the starter or battery.

If you have an aftermarket fuel system, then that'd be the first thing I'd look at (i.e. fuel pressure dropping). If it's a stock system, it can likely be cured via tuning. I had a similar issue after installing my A&A kit. It's a mystery what caused it in my case, but I was able to cure most of it through tuning tweaks. I'd still start with making sure you have good fuel pressure when this is happening, though.
Old 08-29-2014, 10:42 PM
JetstreamGS
Drifting

Originally Posted by Streetk14
It cranks just fine, but fires up and sputters/stalls, right? If so, it's likely something tune related, and nothing to do with the starter or battery.

If you have an aftermarket fuel system, then that'd be the first thing I'd look at (i.e. fuel pressure dropping). If it's a stock system, it can likely be cured via tuning. I had a similar issue after installing my A&A kit. It's a mystery what caused it in my case, but I was able to cure most of it through tuning tweaks. I'd still start with making sure you have good fuel pressure when this is happening, though.
That's correct, cranks fine but will sputter and stall out or just keep cranking until I apply throttle then she will come to life.

It has stock fuel system with 60 lb injectors. I spoke with the tuner and he said that it has to do with the crank fuel/air needing some adjustment.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:45 PM
Streetk14
Melting Slicks

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by JetstreamGS
I spoke with the tuner and he said that it has to do with the crank fuel/air needing some adjustment.
I'd have to agree. In your case, it probably needs more air while cranking. I really don't like the drilled out injectors that come with most of these systems, but that's a whole 'nother discussion.
Old 08-30-2014, 12:14 AM
telly444
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

exact same problem with my SC Z06. I actually changed to a 1 step colder plug and found it helped. It's tune related. I found my car was choking itself out when I was trying to start it. smelled like heavy fuel. spuddered and shaked and wouldn't start. Only happens when It's hot. I also have 60 lbs injectors on stock fuel system. good to know it's not just me. lol I'm getting a new tune soon.
Old 09-02-2014, 10:49 PM
vette217
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

It's tune related. Very common from what my tuner says. I brought it back and he made a few changes and now it starts a lot better warm.
Old 09-03-2014, 06:28 PM
JetstreamGS
Drifting

Originally Posted by telly444
exact same problem with my SC Z06. I actually changed to a 1 step colder plug and found it helped. It's tune related. I found my car was choking itself out when I was trying to start it. smelled like heavy fuel. spuddered and shaked and wouldn't start. Only happens when It's hot. I also have 60 lbs injectors on stock fuel system. good to know it's not just me. lol I'm getting a new tune soon.
Originally Posted by vette217
It's tune related. Very common from what my tuner says. I brought it back and he made a few changes and now it starts a lot better warm.
Good to know. I guess I will have to make a trip to the tuner if I can ever get a hold of him lol. Might as well ditch the cats too and have him adjust for that as well.

Get notified of new replies

To Hot Start Issues

Quick Reply: Hot Start Issues