C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A&A installed on GS, first impressions.

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 03:59 PM
mdchaser
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default A&A installed on GS, first impressions.

Hi folks, I have a 2011 GS MN6 and just had the A&A kit installed, here are my initial impressions.

The kit was ordered from A&A and installed by Borelli in San Jose. The whole project had quite a few issues, some of which I'm still working through but in the end I have what looks to be a safe stable super charger installed. The kit was a "newsed" kit from A&A with a new blower and used brackets. The car is more or less stock (cat back) and only has 6k miles on the clock.

Final numbers came out at 557/526 using 91 octane here in CA.

The first time I drove the car after the install I wasn't terribly impressed (I was also running on an hours worth of sleep so I wasn't all there). I had a three hour drive home and stopped to let a buddy drive it. It may have all been in my head or the computer was relearning but it seemed to get stronger as the drive went on.

The best way I can describe it is that it felt like a non upgrade. The car drives like it did when stock, it's just... faster. Very linear, no craziness. Once you get on it in the upper rev range the power kicks in and the difference is really noticeable. Overall I like the way it drives, I don't torch the tires off the line and it just pulls like a freight train if I keep my foot in it. I would describe it as a sleeper mod as there is no drama involved, just more acceleration.

I was hoping for a little more noise from the kit than it provides, I think a lot of people will like the fact that it is more or less silent. There is a bit of a woosh noise when you let off but it's almost under the volume of my exhaust so you have to really listen. There is almost no noise from the unit itself unless you are stopped and really listening.

Overall I think it's a great setup and I'm being sent CARB stickers which is a big deal in CA. The next step is probably meth injection and then a cam/valve train upgrade. Right after new tires of course, my NT05s are a joke with this setup, the car goes as much sideways as forward under full throttle (NT05Rs will be ordered soon as a replacement).

Old 08-28-2014, 04:41 PM
C U IN REARVEIW
Le Mans Master

Received 110 Likes on 101 Posts

I've been contemplating going this route for awhile now. Glad to hear you like it
Old 08-28-2014, 05:53 PM
tlove32
Melting Slicks

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

It has been rather hot in NorCal, so I can see why it didn't blow you away. Wait til the weather cools. These blowers love cool weather like a fat kid in a candy store
Old 08-28-2014, 07:27 PM
Thesisinbold
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

557? that's a very conservative tune. I have a conservative tune myself, but hit 575 on 91 octane.

definitely go for the meth.

I'm in the same boat as you, I want the vortech louder!
Old 08-28-2014, 08:18 PM
Corvettinator
Drifting

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Congrats, man!

But for the full effect, have you tried downshifting to third at about 70MPH and hitting WOT?
Old 08-28-2014, 09:15 PM
NYC6
Team Owner

Received 207 Likes on 155 Posts

That power curve is the same reason I went with A&A. Smooth, linear power that scares at the top of the dial.
Old 08-28-2014, 09:49 PM
Streetk14
Melting Slicks

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Why does almost nobody put boost on their dyno sheets? Boost and AFR are the two things that should always be there on an FI car.

Edit: Is that boost down at the bottom? Doesn't look like the boost curve of an A&A kit. Belt slip?

Last edited by Streetk14; 08-28-2014 at 09:55 PM.
Old 08-29-2014, 03:48 PM
SteveDoten@ARH
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Nice power, Andy has sold those kits by the 1000's, they always produce proven results.
Old 08-29-2014, 05:51 PM
mdchaser
Burning Brakes

I'm pretty happy with it so far. I've only had the chance to drive it twice so this weekend I'll be taking it out as much as possible. The more I drive it the more I like it, I made my last vette difficult to drive and this one is much easier and more fun to drive.
Old 08-29-2014, 10:52 PM
JetstreamGS
Drifting

Received 174 Likes on 148 Posts

Wait till you cam it and spray some meth at it, will be an entire different animal. Is your exhaust all stock?

The "wooshing" you are hearing when you let off is the BOV, sounds pretty cool doesn't it?

I'm assuming you have a V3 head unit since it's silent? That's the only complaint I have with mine is that it is too quiet. Had a YSi on my old car and that sounded like a jet taking off all the time lol.
Old 08-30-2014, 11:01 AM
C U IN REARVEIW
Le Mans Master

Received 110 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by mdchaser
I'm pretty happy with it so far. I've only had the chance to drive it twice so this weekend I'll be taking it out as much as possible. The more I drive it the more I like it, I made my last vette difficult to drive and this one is much easier and more fun to drive.
what was your last vette setup?
Old 08-30-2014, 12:59 PM
black.z51.c6
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 67 Posts

So a ysi is a lot louder than v3 si or ti trim?
Old 08-30-2014, 02:20 PM
mdchaser
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by C U IN REARVEIW
what was your last vette setup?
It was a c5 with a H/C setup and I had changed every part of the intake/exhaust system. It was a fun car but a little rowdy, not nearly as much power either. So far this blower setup is much much better, the car is smooth as silk around town and a monster when I want it to be. After tires the next mod is going to be an x pipe to hopefully reduce some of the raspiness I got when removing the cats. After that I think I'll try meth though I'm worried about yet another system to maintain.
Old 08-30-2014, 02:21 PM
mdchaser
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by black.z51.c6
So a ysi is a lot louder than v3 si or ti trim?
I would like to know this also, if so I would have paid extra just for a little more sound!
Old 08-30-2014, 03:01 PM
Corvettinator
Drifting

I would like to know this also, if so I would have paid extra just for a little more sound!
LOL, not just more sound, but 33% more flow. But the Ysi is not CARB approved, IIRC.
Old 08-30-2014, 03:27 PM
mdchaser
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Corvettinator
LOL, not just more sound, but 33% more flow. But the Ysi is not CARB approved, IIRC.
Bastards... Gotta love carb, wish I could disband the whole organization.
Old 08-30-2014, 03:49 PM
Corvettinator
Drifting

Bastards... Gotta love carb, wish I could disband the whole organization.
Yes, CARB is a total scam and joke. Every one of these superchargers uses the same basic Vortech head unit, so identical emissions if tuned the same. Yet even tiny changes to the car model, and the manufacturer has to do tens of thousands of dollars of testing all over again (not counting buying the underlying car model for testing).

There's actually a twin-turbo (STS IIRC) that was CARB approved, but only for the LS2. So if you have an LS3, sorry, not turbo for you, even if the emissions would probably be identical. Idiotic!

I was reading on a Jeep forum that adding a RIPP Vortech S/C to the Wranglers actually improves mileage for some people, since they don't have to punch it to drive on the freeeway. But of course, not CARB approved yet since Wranglers switched to the Pentastar engine. Dumb Kalifornia.

Get notified of new replies

To A&A installed on GS, first impressions.

Old 08-30-2014, 04:34 PM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Received 1,339 Likes on 947 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvettinator
Yes, CARB is a total scam and joke. Every one of these superchargers uses the same basic Vortech head unit, so identical emissions if tuned the same. Yet even tiny changes to the car model, and the manufacturer has to do tens of thousands of dollars of testing all over again (not counting buying the underlying car model for testing).

There's actually a twin-turbo (STS IIRC) that was CARB approved, but only for the LS2. So if you have an LS3, sorry, not turbo for you, even if the emissions would probably be identical. Idiotic!

I was reading on a Jeep forum that adding a RIPP Vortech S/C to the Wranglers actually improves mileage for some people, since they don't have to punch it to drive on the freeeway. But of course, not CARB approved yet since Wranglers switched to the Pentastar engine. Dumb Kalifornia.
You see, you Cali guys are being punished by the karma gods for having 72 degree temps and low humidity 365 days a year. Then there's that deal where even the clerks at convenience stores are all fitness/bikini models. At least, that's what Streetk14 told me....
Old 08-30-2014, 05:35 PM
Corvettinator
Drifting

Originally Posted by old motorhead
You see, you Cali guys are being punished by the karma gods for having 72 degree temps and low humidity 365 days a year. Then there's that deal where even the clerks at convenience stores are all fitness/bikini models. At least, that's what Streetk14 told me....
Try to keep in mind that, when laughing about Kalifornia, is when you see that "50-state emissions complaint" sticker on your car, what that really means that my communist, Gaia-worshipping state has affected the other 49 states with its climate change religion.

You can bet that's what those double cats on 2012+ C6's were for.
Old 08-30-2014, 06:14 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Ysi is noisier because of the straight cut gears, but still not loud. With a short 4" inlet it gets noisey. You could always do a 4" style inlet on the Si-trim for a lot more noise.

Quick Reply: A&A installed on GS, first impressions.