C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BTR Valve Springs & Stock Cam Overkill?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2014, 03:47 PM
Pitufina
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts
Default BTR Valve Springs & Stock Cam Overkill?

I am closer to return home from my deployment and I've been planning my ECS kit install. I had in mind replacing my n/a spec'd cam with a more friendly blower one. In fact I received a couple of recommendation from two of the best cam gurus, but lately things have not being going well in the budget department due to several unexpected situations.

There's one thing I still can't stand from my current cam and is the constant smell of fuel. My wife hates it with passion too lol It gets inside the car when I turn the a/c or heater on and of course it gets on my clothes and so on. It sucks to arrive to work or party smelling like junkyard
So, since it looks like I may not be able to afford that new cam I was thinking on reinstalling the stock one, but my concern are the valve springs. I really don't want to use the stock ones with boost for peace of mind but at the same time it causes me to think if there are any problems that can emerge from that. What about the pushrods? Any insight?
Old 09-12-2014, 04:13 PM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Received 1,339 Likes on 947 Posts

Originally Posted by Pitufina
I am closer to return home from my deployment and I've been planning my ECS kit install. I had in mind replacing my n/a spec'd cam with a more friendly blower one. In fact I received a couple of recommendation from two of the best cam gurus, but lately things have not being going well in the budget department due to several unexpected situations.

There's one thing I still can't stand from my current cam and is the constant smell of fuel. My wife hates it with passion too lol It gets inside the car when I turn the a/c or heater on and of course it gets on my clothes and so on. It sucks to arrive to work or party smelling like junkyard
So, since it looks like I may not be able to afford that new cam I was thinking on reinstalling the stock one, but my concern are the valve springs. I really don't want to use the stock ones with boost for peace of mind but at the same time it causes me to think if there are any problems that can emerge from that. What about the pushrods? Any insight?
If you have BTR springs, I'd call BT and get his take on what you're doing. Can't imagine there being a problem though. I'm assuming you're using aftermarket pushrods. Are they stock length?

Edit: I think I'd be picking up cans on the side of the road to afford a new cam. Comp grinds are about $350 delivered if you buy from the right source. Maybe buy your wife a gas mask until you can afford a new cam.....

Last edited by old motorhead; 09-12-2014 at 04:16 PM.
Old 09-12-2014, 04:26 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

I would figure out why the car stinks. I run no cats, and a decent cam and no issues. Could it be a leak or purge issue? That or the tune? No reason a cam should make the car smell of fuel.
Old 09-12-2014, 04:28 PM
turbotuner20v
Safety Car

Received 212 Likes on 118 Posts

I'd check the ls1tech.com classifieds for a cheap used blower cam and then sell your current cam to break even.
Old 09-12-2014, 06:53 PM
SHovV
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounds like there's another problem besides your cam. EVAP perhaps?
Old 09-13-2014, 12:44 AM
Pitufina
Drifting

Originally Posted by old motorhead
If you have BTR springs, I'd call BT and get his take on what you're doing. Can't imagine there being a problem though. I'm assuming you're using aftermarket pushrods. Are they stock length?

Edit: I think I'd be picking up cans on the side of the road to afford a new cam. Comp grinds are about $350 delivered if you buy from the right source. Maybe buy your wife a gas mask until you can afford a new cam.....
Yeah the pushrods are 7.40.

LOL not a bad idea for extra funds. In reality is not that I don't have the money, is that it's going to be so much harder to get the go ahead from the wife with all the late expenses.
Old 09-13-2014, 12:57 AM
Pitufina
Drifting

Originally Posted by Unreal
I would figure out why the car stinks. I run no cats, and a decent cam and no issues. Could it be a leak or purge issue? That or the tune? No reason a cam should make the car smell of fuel.
I think it could be an issue at the header collectors. Mine use a v-band but I feel that they don't completely seal around. I have some new clamps that I thought about trying and possibly use some silicone.

Originally Posted by turbotuner20v
I'd check the ls1tech.com classifieds for a cheap used blower cam and then sell your current cam to break even.
I check almost daily here and ls1tech but no luck. Most cams I come across are either too big or the specs are not to my liking. I'm looking for a super tame with 0 or negative overlap.

Shoot, Arun told me that my cam would work great. I still think is too much for what I want or need.

Originally Posted by SHovV
Sounds like there's another problem besides your cam. EVAP perhaps?
See above. It may be the exhaust.
Old 09-13-2014, 10:48 AM
chimazo
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You could always swap in the LS9 cam. Will only cost you around $100, drives/idles like stock, and will give a decent HP bump.
Old 09-13-2014, 12:28 PM
Pitufina
Drifting

Originally Posted by chimazo
You could always swap in the LS9 cam. Will only cost you around $100, drives/idles like stock, and will give a decent HP bump.
LS9 is a very good cam for a positive displacement blower but not so much for a centrifugal. From what I gather the late intake valve closing events will kill torque and the big lsa extend the peak when is not really needed.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Last edited by Pitufina; 09-13-2014 at 01:37 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To BTR Valve Springs & Stock Cam Overkill?

Quick Reply: BTR Valve Springs & Stock Cam Overkill?