C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it fair to say the A6 just isn't adequate for supercharging?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 02:04 AM
C5Natie
Safety Car

Received 132 Likes on 64 Posts

There are a few goodies that have come out for the 4L65E the last few years that have made them able to handle 1000hp. I know mine does and a few shops out there sell them advertised to handle 1000hp. Just in case you ever look at that as an option. No problem flooring it regardless what gear youre in. The weak point on a lot of these autos are those power downshifts at wot as mentioned, 4-2 shift is very hard. That and the clutches holding that much power. Oh yeah, and get the biggest trans cooler you can fit.
Old 09-15-2014, 07:52 AM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Received 491 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by C5Natie
There are a few goodies that have come out for the 4L65E the last few years that have made them able to handle 1000hp. I know mine does and a few shops out there sell them advertised to handle 1000hp. Just in case you ever look at that as an option. No problem flooring it regardless what gear youre in. The weak point on a lot of these autos are those power downshifts at wot as mentioned, 4-2 shift is very hard. That and the clutches holding that much power. Oh yeah, and get the biggest trans cooler you can fit.
Thanks!! How much would one to expect to have a shop do the 4L65E ?? Also do you like the trans? Any real downsides from going from the 6 speed to the 4 speed? This will be more of a street car than a track car.
Old 09-15-2014, 09:15 AM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

There is a good deal on an RPM level 7 4l60, converter, torque tube for sale in the C5 parts for sale section, 0 miles, $6k.. Normally you can barely buy the tranny for that.

Just FYI.

OP, I think a stock 6l80 will be fine at 600rwhp with a good tune. I wouldnt do road courses with it tho... Like anything, eventually it will wear clutches. Seems like Century and Rossler are the only ones with any success building them, and even then they are on borrowed time.
Old 09-15-2014, 09:36 AM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,084 Likes on 656 Posts

At 600 rwhp I would not worry about the trans, 700 on up and it's a crap shoot from any builder or tuner IMO. Some last, some don't.

Part of the solution is proper tuning, which actually requires multiple tuning software companies since both major companies cover different portions of the tune. Also making the trans not skip gears, 4-2 for instance, is very helpful to life of the trans. That can be tuned in and is how the later A6's shift. So if you nail it in 5th for instance, it will step down each gear in order. It makes the car more manageable on the street too.
Old 09-15-2014, 09:46 AM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by DOUG @ ECS
At 600 rwhp I would not worry about the trans, 700 on up and it's a crap shoot from any builder or tuner IMO. Some last, some don't.

Part of the solution is proper tuning, which actually requires multiple tuning software companies since both major companies cover different portions of the tune. Also making the trans not skip gears, 4-2 for instance, is very helpful to life of the trans. That can be tuned in and is how the later A6's shift. So if you nail it in 5th for instance, it will step down each gear in order. It makes the car more manageable on the street too.
Hey Doug!! I'll be emailing chris later in the day to have some prices worked out. I plan to have ECS build this car in the spring. Miss you guys!!! Class acts for sure even Chris sometimes.
Old 09-15-2014, 05:02 PM
C5Natie
Safety Car

Received 132 Likes on 64 Posts

I'm happy with my 4L65E and I even road race with it. Actually we modified the valvebody for road racing. I have my own trans guy but ive seen the "stage 5" transmissions go for around $4500-5000 or so. I think PATC and RPM offer 1000hp capable 4L65E's. You can always recoup some money if you sell yours. If you're mostly gonna see the track I'd definitely consider it. Man, if you were in SoCal I' get it built for you for half of what those shops charge.

Originally Posted by thegame
Thanks!! How much would one to expect to have a shop do the 4L65E ?? Also do you like the trans? Any real downsides from going from the 6 speed to the 4 speed? This will be more of a street car than a track car.
Old 09-15-2014, 05:10 PM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by C5Natie
I'm happy with my 4L65E and I even road race with it. Actually we modified the valvebody for road racing. I have my own trans guy but ive seen the "stage 5" transmissions go for around $4500-5000 or so. I think PATC and RPM offer 1000hp capable 4L65E's. You can always recoup some money if you sell yours. If you're mostly gonna see the track I'd definitely consider it. Man, if you were in SoCal I' get it built for you for half of what those shops charge.
Another reason to hate jersey!! Lol thanks natie that's good to know. I really just wanted to know there's a solution before I jump into this grand sport idea in the sping. Now I'm happy and have peace of mind

Quick Reply: Is it fair to say the A6 just isn't adequate for supercharging?