C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it fair to say the A6 just isn't adequate for supercharging?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 06:56 PM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Received 491 Likes on 275 Posts

Default Is it fair to say the A6 just isn't adequate for supercharging?

Here is my problem, I am torn on what car to get this coming spring. One car that interest me is picking up a mint 12-13 A6 grand sport but I'm worried about the longevity of the A6. As far as I know RPM Trans does not build these anymore because no one was ever able to really solve the tuning issues. Even ECS as far as I understand it does not build these in house anymore.

I know some guys will chime in that have supercharged A6 cars and are lucky enough to not have blown up the trans yet. I know with modded cars you always run the risk of blowing something. I'm ok with that. What I'm not ok with is knowing if I blow it up there is no solution except to put another A6 in the car and hope it lasts longer. Am I wrong on this or is there no real solution for this? I'd plan on doing the following mods.

ECS novi
Arh headers
Meth injection
Small blower cam.

Probably around 600rwhp and call it a day.

I'm not looking to forge and turn the boost up but at least I know if the motor Did blow that's certainly an option I have. I hate not having a fix for the A6 problem. I know a manual would solve this problem but a forklift accident many years ago makes that rather difficult and takes the enjoyment out of the drive for me. Any info into this problem would be appreciated.

Last edited by thegame; 09-14-2014 at 07:09 PM.
Old 09-14-2014, 07:26 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

They are fine at 600rwhp, just don't go up much higher, and get a really good tuner.
Old 09-14-2014, 07:37 PM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Unreal
They are fine at 600rwhp, just don't go up much higher, and get a really good tuner.
Well I'd be using ECS so that part is covered but lets just say or sake of discussion it breaks. I was just looking all over google and saw there is an answer. However seems like switching to a 4L80 is in the 15-20k range. That's pretty crazy. It did seem like that trans and option are more for the forged cars making at least 900rwhp and up. Do you guys know if there are other built A4 swaps that are certainly able to handle my 600rwhp goals?

Even if my motor went and I forged it would just be for peace of mind and I'd only turn the boost up slightly. I know I'm in the minority here but 600rwhp seems to be the most I'd want in my weekend warrior
Old 09-14-2014, 07:50 PM
monsta01
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am going to try 750 in my A6. My CTS-V made 800whp through an auto. I think the trans is similar and the Vette is much lighter.

People that break them I wonder if they are flooring them in drive. That is really bad to do that.
Old 09-14-2014, 07:53 PM
dicky
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Call century, I'm not pushing big power at all but mine has held up great for over 3 years
Old 09-14-2014, 07:59 PM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by monsta01
I am going to try 750 in my A6. My CTS-V made 800whp through an auto. I think the trans is similar and the Vette is much lighter.

People that break them I wonder if they are flooring them in drive. That is really bad to do that.
What do you mean? What should they be doing?
Old 09-14-2014, 08:01 PM
ATLS2
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's all in the tune. I had a 650 whp, with no issues with my 6l80. I did change it for a 4l65, but that's because I could and everyone talk like the 6l80 was a ticking time bomb. Who knows!
Old 09-14-2014, 08:08 PM
0Pete@ChampionMotors
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You should have it upgraded if you are planning to track it regularly. Stock clutches won't last at that power level. And the tune can make or break you literally.
Old 09-14-2014, 08:33 PM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Pete@ChampionMotors
You should have it upgraded if you are planning to track it regularly. Stock clutches won't last at that power level. And the tune can make or break you literally.
I don't plan to track it regularly but occasionally I can see that. It's mostly a street car and typically I'm not very hard on my cars. What upgrades do you suggest.
Old 09-14-2014, 08:34 PM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ATLS2
It's all in the tune. I had a 650 whp, with no issues with my 6l80. I did change it for a 4l65, but that's because I could and everyone talk like the 6l80 was a ticking time bomb. Who knows!
How do you like the 4l65 and how much did the swap cost you. I'm very glad I made this thread. Now at least I know there are options out there.
Old 09-14-2014, 08:41 PM
ATLS2
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It all depends. I'd call RPM Transmissions if your serious about it
Old 09-14-2014, 08:54 PM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ATLS2
It all depends. I'd call RPM Transmissions if your serious about it
Ok I'll speak to ECS first and then talk to rpm and century to see my options. I'd think though doing the mods I listed including the ECS small blower cam it may put me a little over 600 Rwhp. Maybe i should leave the blower cam out? Still I guess I can just roll with the A6 till it goes and then pick an option.

Last edited by thegame; 09-14-2014 at 08:58 PM.
Old 09-14-2014, 09:14 PM
08C6
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Ahhhhh....565 RWHP... 535 RWTQ ... having plenty of fun... time will tell - so far so good !!!
Old 09-14-2014, 09:18 PM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by monsta01

Does anyone know what this poster may have meant? If you don't want to use the paddles but were going from a highway roll what would you do? It's been a while since I owned a c6 I'm trying to remember how the shifter looked.
Old 09-14-2014, 09:48 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by thegame
Does anyone know what this poster may have meant? If you don't want to use the paddles but were going from a highway roll what would you do? It's been a while since I owned a c6 I'm trying to remember how the shifter looked.
At 600 rwhp the trans should live fine with a good tune and a cooler. Its also very dependent on use. If you are not hard on it you shouldn't have problems. If you track it a lot and drive it hard all the time I will bet it wont last too long.

I think what the poster meant was about kickdown. Full throttle kickdowns with a blower are just violent with these cars and very hard on the trans. A good tuner can make them much better, but its better to use the paddles if you are roll racing.
Old 09-14-2014, 09:50 PM
1MEANGS
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

If your only lookin to make 600 you don't need a cam to achieve that w/ a Grandsport... Blower, Headers, & Meth is all you need
Old 09-14-2014, 10:01 PM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 1MEANGS
If your only lookin to make 600 you don't need a cam to achieve that w/ a Grandsport... Blower, Headers, & Meth is all you need
Is the only benefit to the cam more power and a cooler sound? If so I guess your right maybe I'll just do the mods you suggested. Btw I pm you awhile ago. Not sure if you ever got it.

Get notified of new replies

To Is it fair to say the A6 just isn't adequate for supercharging?

Old 09-14-2014, 10:02 PM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by realcanuk
At 600 rwhp the trans should live fine with a good tune and a cooler. Its also very dependent on use. If you are not hard on it you shouldn't have problems. If you track it a lot and drive it hard all the time I will bet it wont last too long.

I think what the poster meant was about kickdown. Full throttle kickdowns with a blower are just violent with these cars and very hard on the trans. A good tuner can make them much better, but its better to use the paddles if you are roll racing.
But aren't the paddle up shifts vey slow ? If I'm remembering correctly. I had an 08 and will be looking for a 12-13 grand sport in the spring.
Old 09-14-2014, 11:52 PM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by realcanuk

What if the car is I'd D compared to S ? Or vice versa, is one of them ok to punch it from highway speed or it's still bad to have it kick down?
Old 09-15-2014, 12:00 AM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

But aren't the paddle up shifts vey slow ? If I'm remembering correctly. I had an 08 and will be looking for a 12-13 grand sport in the spring.
I would never floor it while in a high gear. If I want to floor it while rolling I paddle down to the appropriate gear. Then floor it and shift to drive and let it do it's thing.

Quick Reply: Is it fair to say the A6 just isn't adequate for supercharging?