C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

slick 4L65E conversion on a 2007 A6 car

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 01:23 PM
DSteck
Safety Car

Received 83 Likes on 42 Posts
Tech Contributor

Default slick 4L65E conversion on a 2007 A6 car

A semi local guy has a 2007 C6 with a T-trim. The car had the A6, but the factory one didn't like the abuse he put through it over the years, so a used built one went in. That one was junk to begin with. The obvious step was a Stage VII 4L65E from RPM. CBI Street Cars, just outside of St. Louis, MO did all of the mechanical work.

Determined to do things different and save a ton of cost, I opted to use a GM T42 to control the transmission as opposed to the $1100 standalone PCS controller. I built a plug and play wiring harness (had to cut the factory A6 connection off and replace it with a 10-way GT150 connector) for everything to use the TCM.

Once I got the operating systems loaded appropriately and set up, it was time to test. The A6 differentials don't have a VSS installed like the manuals do because the A6 has an output shaft speed sensor built into the transmission (as well as an input shaft speed sensor). The diff housing had a boss for a VSS, but it was in the wrong spot to read the teeth on the ring gear, so it had to be welded up, machined flat, and relocated. A local guy named Matt Shepherd at HTP took care of this and did a great job.

Unfortunately you can't use a 4L65E with an input speed sensor in a Corvette due to the ISS input shaft being shorter than a Corvette input shaft. With the 4L80E conversion on my car and Chad Barton's F1X car, we have use of the ISS, so we can log everything associated with it.

The owner wanted use of D2 D1, but you can't do that with the 06+ shifter assembly because it doesn't have the gates for D2 and D1. Instead of just dumping a 2005 assembly in, I made a hybrid shifter (did the same thing on my own car) to use the A6 **** but have all of the gates available along with the 4-speed indicator.

In the end, the result was a much cheaper and easier to tune control system for the transmission that was almost 100% plug and play. The transmission settings can all be edited with HP Tuners, and everything can be logged right in HPT as if it came like that. The only thing that doesn't work is the trans temperature will not display on the DIC because the TCM does not communicate with the BCM. I suspect that I could use a different operating system in the TCM to make this work, but maybe that's a project for another day.

The next project will be adding tap shift functionality.
Old 09-25-2014, 10:30 PM
ironhorse583
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice..more info and pics please...
Old 11-22-2014, 04:47 PM
under_psi
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I'll be contacting you about this once I go 4L! Seems much more practical/cheaper.
Old 11-22-2014, 05:13 PM
lt1z
Melting Slicks

Received 170 Likes on 143 Posts

Good work
Old 11-22-2014, 06:53 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

That is pretty slick....I like the shifter set up.

So is the TCM communicating with the PCM so your idle speed corrects itself in gear etc etc?

I use the PCS controller and I love it, the only downside is it doesn't communicate to the PCM so...you have to just set your idle speed a little higher for when it drops down in gear... That and I don't get trans temp in the DIC...I just use an Aeroforce gauge tied to the trans temp sensor to display trans temp.

I'm curious to see some of these auto swaps you and CBI are doing run at the strip..
Old 11-23-2014, 08:12 AM
DSteck
Safety Car

Received 83 Likes on 42 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by ajrothm
That is pretty slick....I like the shifter set up.

So is the TCM communicating with the PCM so your idle speed corrects itself in gear etc etc?

I use the PCS controller and I love it, the only downside is it doesn't communicate to the PCM so...you have to just set your idle speed a little higher for when it drops down in gear... That and I don't get trans temp in the DIC...I just use an Aeroforce gauge tied to the trans temp sensor to display trans temp.

I'm curious to see some of these auto swaps you and CBI are doing run at the strip..
Yes, the TCM and ECM communicate so that idle changes, and you get actual use of the park vs gear airflow tables.

Unfortunately, trans temp won't display on the DIC most likely because the BCM and TCM don't communicate, but you can see it in the scanner.

Chad's auto swap went 8.5. It'll go a lot faster once some things get fixed.
Old 11-23-2014, 08:23 AM
camirocz
Melting Slicks

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts

Well done .

Get notified of new replies

To slick 4L65E conversion on a 2007 A6 car

Quick Reply: slick 4L65E conversion on a 2007 A6 car