C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

McLeod RXT/RST Twin vs Mantic 9000 twin vs Monster Level 1 twin

Old 09-28-2014, 11:46 PM
RideZX6R
Melting Slicks

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Default McLeod RXT/RST Twin vs Mantic 9000 twin vs Monster Level 1 twin

So I took my car (2012 Grand Sport) in for shifting issues and the dealer decided it was bad synchronizers, so they're rebuilding the trans with new synchros under warranty. I asked if they'd install a new clutch at this time and they agreed (provided I buy the clutch of course).

I plan on making about 600-650whp in the long term with this car at ABSOLUTE MAX - (LTs, novi 1500, stock heads/cam).

The main thing on my mind is "stock like" engagement. This car is my DD and my ONLY CAR. So the driving like a stock clutch thing is NON-NEGOTIABLE. I'd like no more pedal effort/stiffness than stock.

Ideally I know most folks would recommend a twin, so here we are.

The next biggest thing is price... I've never spent more than $650 for a clutch and I realize twin discs are general more expensive (simply put, more parts)... but $1700 for a clutch?! Jeez man... awfully spendy for a car that'll never see 700whp, let alone the 900+ some of these clutches are boasting.

I really like the price of the McLeod RST twin as Hinson has them for very reasonable prices, and it looks like the RST would support the power.

So with the above stuff in mind. I'd like feedback, specifically from folks who have driven more than one of these clutches - Or at minimum, a critique of the difference over stock.

Thanks!
The following users liked this post:
CorvetteBrent (10-04-2018)
Old 09-29-2014, 09:48 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

I've driven RXT, LS9, Mantic. They all drive great, good pressure/pedal feel/etc. I would suggest mantic because they just work and drive great. RXTs are good too, but the QC at McLeod is subpar and I've seen a lot of them need adjustment or sent back. As long as the dealer is willing to measure and and shim/etc to make it work, or send it back and wait for a new one then it isn't a bad option, but I doubt they are going to do that for free or let your car sit there for a week or more waiting on new clutches to come in.

If you don't plan on launching or running a sticky tire, stock clutch will work for you and you may want to save the money.
Old 09-29-2014, 10:10 AM
high9s
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I run a McLeod RXT I love it. These are some things I learned along the way. If you get a McLeod clutch call mcleod and tell them you heard they had a small batch of out of spec clutches and you want to buy a new one from them. They are on top of it, even if you bought an older one, if you call them with the serial number they will tell you if its one of the suspect ones and replace it free.

I recommend buying one of their billet flywheels when doing the install. If you are going to use a tick master cylinder DO NOT use a McLeod throw out bearing, use a stock GM.

Good luck with your choice, you don't have to spend 2k to get a great clutch and flywheel to hold big power.
Old 09-29-2014, 10:43 AM
Detoxx03
Safety Car

Received 377 Likes on 245 Posts

Unreal said what I would have. Mantic 9000 is the way to go unless you stay stock.
Old 09-29-2014, 10:56 AM
staticki
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

I would go with a Mantic 9000.

I have a RXT in my car, but I cannot for the life of me recommend it. I had nothing but engagement issues with it that resulted in McLeod recommending to buy their $400 adjustable slave for something that should be "plug and play". Between that and the additional expense of having to rip my drive train out multiple times I will never tell someone to go with a McLeod.
Old 09-29-2014, 11:01 AM
slow ride
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

If he isn't drag racing it I would go with organic disks on whatever it is. I don't care what anyone tells you a ceramic disk will not drive as nice as organic.
Old 09-29-2014, 11:01 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Staticki, that is why I don't recommend them. I've seen it happen time and time again. People melting slaves, engagement all over, won't disengage, won't shift. Local shop installed 3 of them, all wouldn't disengage, finally when RPS and no issues. When they work, they are great clutches, and if you are installing yourself and don't mind dealing with the hassle, maybe get one, but I rather just run a mantic and not worry about it.
Old 09-29-2014, 11:06 AM
0SNL/MonsterClutchCo
Former Vendor

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by RideZX6R
So I took my car (2012 Grand Sport) in for shifting issues and the dealer decided it was bad synchronizers, so they're rebuilding the trans with new synchros under warranty. I asked if they'd install a new clutch at this time and they agreed (provided I buy the clutch of course).

I plan on making about 600-650whp in the long term with this car at ABSOLUTE MAX - (LTs, novi 1500, stock heads/cam).

The main thing on my mind is "stock like" engagement. This car is my DD and my ONLY CAR. So the driving like a stock clutch thing is NON-NEGOTIABLE. I'd like no more pedal effort/stiffness than stock.

Ideally I know most folks would recommend a twin, so here we are.

The next biggest thing is price... I've never spent more than $650 for a clutch and I realize twin discs are general more expensive (simply put, more parts)... but $1700 for a clutch?! Jeez man... awfully spendy for a car that'll never see 700whp, let alone the 900+ some of these clutches are boasting.

I really like the price of the McLeod RST twin as Hinson has them for very reasonable prices, and it looks like the RST would support the power.

So with the above stuff in mind. I'd like feedback, specifically from folks who have driven more than one of these clutches - Or at minimum, a critique of the difference over stock.

Thanks!
For what you are wanting I would recommend looking into our LT1-S, rated at 700RWHP and 700RWTQ. The LT1-S feels and drives like stock and its 1099.99. Give us shout if you have any questions.
Old 09-29-2014, 11:30 AM
staticki
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Unreal
Staticki, that is why I don't recommend them. I've seen it happen time and time again. People melting slaves, engagement all over, won't disengage, won't shift. Local shop installed 3 of them, all wouldn't disengage, finally when RPS and no issues. When they work, they are great clutches, and if you are installing yourself and don't mind dealing with the hassle, maybe get one, but I rather just run a mantic and not worry about it.
Right there with you man. I thought, "Hey great! A 1k hp clutch under $1k is a great deal". After all said and done--I had over $2,500 in cost (installed myself, clutch didn't work properly, had local shop investigate for a couple hundred bucks, still didn't work, sent out the clutch to be rebuilt with 10 miles on it, re installed bylocal shop and still didn't work, bought adjustable slave and finally worked).

At that point, I should've spent the extra coin and went with the mantic who stand behind their product.
Old 09-29-2014, 12:40 PM
high9s
Instructor

I'd drive a GTR before I would run a M6 Vette without Ticks master cylinder. 7k rpm and 700hp and my 1-2 shift is .285 seconds.

Mcleod should tell their customers that their throw out bearing wont work with the ticks, you need to go GM for that. It would save a lot of pain and money.

I have nothing against Mantic, for all I know they might be better than Mcleod, just saying my RXT is a monster, but its set up right.

Last edited by high9s; 09-29-2014 at 12:44 PM.
Old 09-29-2014, 01:22 PM
turbotuner20v
Safety Car

Received 211 Likes on 118 Posts

The rxt is great when it works. But after my issues with their product having incorrect tolerances and costing me lots of time, labor and slave cylinders I could never recommend it to someone else over the whatever the new popular clutch is, which these days seems to be the mantic
Old 09-29-2014, 01:42 PM
high9s
Instructor

Originally Posted by turbotuner20v
The rxt is great when it works. But after my issues with their product having incorrect tolerances and costing me lots of time, labor and slave cylinders I could never recommend it to someone else over the whatever the new popular clutch is, which these days seems to be the mantic
I agree 100% and I'm sorry to hear about all the problems you had.
Mcleod did a **** poor job letting distributors know about the bad run of clutches they had.

Also, I know people who bent the fingers on their clutch's because they used McLeod's throw out bearing with a Ticks master cylinder. WHY McLeod wouldn't warn customers about that is beyond me.

I did a clutch, rear, trans, and half shafts at the same time. I was paranoid because it was my first time working on a C6 and the amount of labor involved in the job. If I didn't personally pick up the phone and call Mcleod (which I shouldn't of had to) I would have been in the same position you were in.
Old 09-29-2014, 02:14 PM
lt1z
Melting Slicks

Received 170 Likes on 143 Posts

Another Vote for Mantic here.
Old 09-29-2014, 04:48 PM
Badmotorf1nger
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for the tip.
I just ordered a Mcleod RST & billet flywheel, was it just the RXT model that was affected?
Im gonna call them once I recv it to make sure its not a bad unit

Last edited by Badmotorf1nger; 09-29-2014 at 04:52 PM.
Old 09-29-2014, 05:33 PM
turbotuner20v
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Badmotorf1nger
Thanks for the tip.
I just ordered a Mcleod RST & billet flywheel, was it just the RXT model that was affected?
Im gonna call them once I recv it to make sure its not a bad unit
I wouldn't trust either version or anything someone working at their company says.

Measure the distance from throw out bearing face to pressure plate fingers and make sure it's within spec
Old 09-29-2014, 06:46 PM
Pitufina
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

I have a brand new rxt kit sitting around to replace the stock one whenever decides to go south. This thread is making me nervous. I guess I can call mcleod and provide the serial number as it was suggested. It's a shame that such an old and recognized company failed to recall those known bad clutch kits.
Old 09-29-2014, 07:17 PM
Badmotorf1nger
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by turbotuner20v
I wouldn't trust either version or anything someone working at their company says.

Measure the distance from throw out bearing face to pressure plate fingers and make sure it's within spec
I think Im just going to cancel my order with Hinson & get a mantic 9000, hopefully they didnt ship it yet. Sucks Ill lose money on the balancing option, but Id rather not have any issues.

Get notified of new replies

To McLeod RXT/RST Twin vs Mantic 9000 twin vs Monster Level 1 twin

Old 09-30-2014, 08:48 AM
NormWild
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Mantic is a great clutch, however mine has started to develop some chatter only at launch when it gets warm. I'm at around 500 miles on the clutch, so not sure what that's all about. It doesn't do it when it cold. Other than that the engagement and peddle feel is awesome.
Old 09-30-2014, 09:05 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Local shop got a "good mcleoud" 3 times, that wouldn't disengage. Kept sending it back and getting bad ones from them.
Old 09-30-2014, 11:26 AM
turbotuner20v
Safety Car

Local shop got a "good mcleoud" 3 times, that wouldn't disengage. Kept sending it back and getting bad ones from them.
yea, I sent mine in for 'inspection and repair/replacement' and it came back the exact same w/ a fresh coat of paint on the pressure plate and some bead blasting on the discs to clean them up.

I convinced them to send me a flywheel from their 'street twin' clutch for free and it worked because the flywheel was so much thinner it reduced the stack height to reasonable measurement when compared to throw out bearing face position.

I would avoid doing business with McLeod at all costs... I'd rather try to run a stock clutch

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: McLeod RXT/RST Twin vs Mantic 9000 twin vs Monster Level 1 twin