C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Supercharger Cam: Positive Displacement vs. Centrifugal

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 01:13 PM
red9r
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Supercharger Cam: Positive Displacement vs. Centrifugal

I'm considering an ECS Supercharger for my '13 GS so I have started looking at cams as well. I have found a few but all of them are listed a Blower Cams. Is there a difference between cams made for positive displacement superchargers and centrifugal superchargers?
Old 09-30-2014, 01:59 PM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Received 1,339 Likes on 947 Posts

Typically, the centri cams are ground with a higher DCR in mind vs a similar cam for a p/d blower. The higher DCR helps a little on the bottom end. That's probably splitting hairs a little, but what I've noticed over the years. That's not to say that a cam designed for a centri won't work in a p/d and vice versa.
Old 09-30-2014, 02:09 PM
C U IN REARVEIW
Le Mans Master

Received 109 Likes on 100 Posts

What are some good n/a cams that will be a good cam (powerful) and still be good for a supercharger down the road?
Old 09-30-2014, 02:19 PM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

If you don't want to take advantage of the fact that, with f/i, you don't need a big cam, a whole bunch of them will work just fine. It will probably be hard to find one that won't "work".
Old 09-30-2014, 04:54 PM
C U IN REARVEIW
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by old motorhead
If you don't want to take advantage of the fact that, with f/i, you don't need a big cam, a whole bunch of them will work just fine. It will probably be hard to find one that won't "work".
Is there much hp/tq gains from a blower cam in a n/a (awaiting s/c) setup?
Old 09-30-2014, 05:13 PM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by C U IN REARVEIW
Is there much hp/tq gains from a blower cam in a n/a (awaiting s/c) setup?
It's kind of a name game. There's some pretty gnarly blower type cams around that won't take much of a back seat to some n/a specific cams. The cam under my blower (that makes it a blower cam) is a 224/234 116+2 and would be good for 465ish rwhp in an n/a M6 LS3 rig with all of the bolt ons. The Spinmonster cam is more of an n/a cam, but there's no reason it won't work with a blower. IIRC, it's a 230/234 114+2. It's good for high 400's n/a in an LS3 with bolt ons. There's 7 degrees difference in the overlap of the two cams. Because of that, there's going to be differences in manners between the two cams. You have to decide what's important to you. Both cams can make lots of power with f/I. The bigger one just won't be as easy to get along with, but will make more power if the amount of boost is equal.
Old 09-30-2014, 05:40 PM
C U IN REARVEIW
Le Mans Master

Thanks for the info....what does IIrc stand for?
Old 09-30-2014, 06:31 PM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by C U IN REARVEIW
Thanks for the info....what does IIrc stand for?
If I remember correctly, it stands for if I remember correctly.....I don't remember too many of those things, but that one stuck
Old 09-30-2014, 07:16 PM
Blk 08 C6
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

stage 2 blower cam fron Arun@CCP here.
Old 09-30-2014, 08:09 PM
red9r
Instructor

Thanks for the info. I like to be well informed when deciding which parts to buy. From what I have seen so far, most companies don't give much information about their "blower" cams so it's hard to determine what their particular cam is optimized for.
Old 09-30-2014, 08:29 PM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by red9r
Thanks for the info. I like to be well informed when deciding which parts to buy. From what I have seen so far, most companies don't give much information about their "blower" cams so it's hard to determine what their particular cam is optimized for.
I guess, about now, you've figured that buying a cam named after a natural disaster, a flesh eating monster, or maybe a mutated cyborgish clone of.....(insert your best end to the riddle here).....with "secret" specs might not be the best way to go. Pat G has never steered me wrong. It doesn't cost any more and probably costs less when its all said and done. $380 delivered for the cam + his tech fee for custom Comp grinds isn't a bad deal. MUCH better than installing a "secret" grind and not being happy with it. Then, once you're not happy, you don't know which way to turn.
Old 09-30-2014, 08:44 PM
red9r
Instructor

Originally Posted by old motorhead
I guess, about now, you've figured that buying a cam named after a natural disaster, a flesh eating monster, or maybe a mutated cyborgish clone of.....(insert your best end to the riddle here).....with "secret" specs might not be the best way to go. Pat G has never steered me wrong. It doesn't cost any more and probably costs less when its all said and done. $380 delivered for the cam + his tech fee for custom Comp grinds isn't a bad deal. MUCH better than installing a "secret" grind and not being happy with it. Then, once you're not happy, you don't know which way to turn.
You're right about that. I'm not big into the whole "you have to buy it to find out what you're getting" concept.

Get notified of new replies

To Supercharger Cam: Positive Displacement vs. Centrifugal

Quick Reply: Supercharger Cam: Positive Displacement vs. Centrifugal