C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new belt vibrating and making rattling noise after HB swap

Old 10-14-2014, 12:36 AM
1VetteJocky
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default (FIXED) new belt vibrating and making rattling noise after HB swap

FIXED IT!!!
Please see this thread for solution https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ferrerid=10624

----------------------------------------------------------
I had to change out my harmonic damper (balancer) after the stock one failed. Figured I'd change out the A/C belt and Accessory belt while I was in there. Got my belt from A&A and a PowerForce damper (not sure about that decision yet) and went at it.
This totally fixed my chirping and squealing problem. BUT, when I started it up it had a rattling sound (for a lack of a better term). It's only there at idle and below - worse at idle when in gear (which causes lower idle). Goes away even on slightly higher RPM. The noise is very hard to pinpoint, but I did notice a strange vibration on the belt. It's like it hits a resonant frequency at about idle speed and starts vibrating like a guitar string (radially only). I wouldn't think that would cause a rattling sound, but what do I know?
While doing the work, I made sure all pulleys rotated freely and seemed smooth, though I can't verify the smooth part on every one as the blower was mounted at the time and some of those are really tricky to get to.
The new HB does seem to have an ever-so-slight wobble. I would have thought it would been perfectly smooth... am I wrong?

I did try adjusting the manual tensioner. Tighter is better, but I have it as tight as it goes. All pulleys seem smooth (except for the aforementioned HB).

Anyone have any ideas? I'm lost as to how to rid myself of this problem.

Last edited by 1VetteJocky; 10-26-2014 at 01:15 AM. Reason: solution
Old 10-14-2014, 11:03 AM
1VetteJocky
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I posted this under C6, Forced Induction/Nitrous, but it could easily fit under C5 FI/Nitrous as well as other forums. Is there a way, short of copy/paste to show the same thread in multiple forums?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: new belt vibrating and making rattling noise after HB swap