C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who's Running a Whipple Supercharger?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 05:43 AM
chuntington101
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by C6smackdown
My Whipple RHS502 has:

HKE built RHS tall deck
4.600" Sonny Bryant billet crank
Callie's 6.300" Ultra Billet I-beam rods (not the compstar rods)
Diamond 4.165 Pistons
Total seal rings
All Pro -2 heads (by WCCH)

just to name a few things.....

The car makes just over 1070rwhp, and right at 1000rwtq.

The C6z is stock with a Whipple. which I've decided to sell btw. It's pretty much brand spanking new. It's only got about 15 miles on it.
I think you need to get a 4.0 on the top of your setup to really feed the 502 with some air!

Did whipple ever do a front fed 4.0 setup? Is it a simple blower swap or would it require a whole new drive setup?
Old 10-23-2014, 07:28 AM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Received 1,339 Likes on 947 Posts

I could be wrong, but it seems to me that Whipple doesn't much give a damn about the late model GM market. Seems they're all in on the blue oval stuff though.
Old 10-23-2014, 10:30 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

They are big with camaros and GM trucks, so I wouldn't say that, they just took forever on a vette kit.
Old 10-23-2014, 08:26 PM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Received 1,339 Likes on 947 Posts

I think they are TINY compared to what they could be if they promoted/supported the product in the late model GM market. Guess we'll agree to disagree on this one.
Old 10-23-2014, 10:22 PM
Streetk14
Melting Slicks

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Here's a video of my old car. It had a V3 T-trim with helical gears. Just my opinion, but I think it was pretty loud at idle.

Last edited by Streetk14; 10-23-2014 at 10:25 PM.
Old 10-23-2014, 10:59 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Holy crap that is loud. My car, even with a straight cut YSi is no where near that loud. Still most of that noise is coming from the BOV, and if adjusted/moved/etc would really quiet it down.
Old 10-24-2014, 08:36 AM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Received 1,110 Likes on 780 Posts

That's the noise I'm talking about. Sounds like a kettle of water boiling. Is that just the BOV?
Have to agree on Whipples apparent lack of interest in GM. They really do seem to be Ford centric. Even on the trucks they're not as popular as the TVS blowers, even though their truck kit is a larger displacement than the Maggie kit. Their 4 liter blower is a bada$$ unit though, eg. The COPO Camaro with the 5.3 blown motor is an animal.
Old 10-24-2014, 08:41 AM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

[/B]
Originally Posted by chuntington101;158810290[B
3]I think you need to get a 4.0 on the top of your setup to really feed the 502 with some air!

Did whipple ever do a front fed 4.0 setup? Is it a simple blower swap or would it require a whole new drive setup?
a 4 liter on that 502 would be a Monster! Don't know what you would have to do to hook it up though...
Old 10-24-2014, 10:26 AM
Streetk14
Melting Slicks

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Unreal
Holy crap that is loud. My car, even with a straight cut YSi is no where near that loud. Still most of that noise is coming from the BOV, and if adjusted/moved/etc would really quiet it down.
I always just assumed that the whistle sound was from the head unit itself, but maybe you're right. I had the Turbosmart BOV from A&A, and the adjustment always seemed spot on. Would adjusting the spring to a softer setting make it quieter? Seems like the air needs to go somewhere.

You can also hear some bearing roar type noise, but that's minimal. The whistle noise is what I'm referring to when I say mine was loud. The BOV also made a ton of noise any time I wanted to do any kind of decel in gear. Again, the air has to go somewhere.
Old 10-24-2014, 12:24 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

It is one of those catch 22 situations. You can make it stiffer so the BOV doesn't vent as much, but then you could have low throttle drivability issues if you get maf reverb and are maf only tune. When I ran -12 springs in the Tials it was very quiet at idle, just a little bearing noise, mufflers were way louder. When I went to -3 springs so the BOVs are wide open and venting, it sounds like a vacuum cleaner now at idle. Drivability is a bit better this way. I'm too lazy to SD tune it and run Maf only right now. Maybe one day I'll go back to the stiff springs and just do a SD tune to make it quiet and no issues.
Old 11-07-2014, 02:15 PM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

I've just been on Vegeance's website and I saw that they offer the Whipple complete kit with a RK Sport Hood for $8400. I checked the Whipple site and they seem to also offer the hood with their kit. The hood is like a ~$1,200 value, so the actual blower kit is significantly cheaper than the Heartbeat (@ ~$8,500) and seems to have more potential. The other thing that occurs to me is that with the Whipple's front center inlet, I could probably use my existing Halltech MF103/Beehive intake on it, with maybe just a bit of tweaking, whereas the offset inlet on the Heartbeat wouldn't work.
This kit is looking more attractive every day.
Old 11-08-2014, 12:48 AM
C6smackdown
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm gonna have a virtually brand new Whipple kit for sale, for WAYYY less than that. It will include a brand new hood as well. It will also include an 8rib pulley kit.
Originally Posted by CI GS
I've just been on Vegeance's website and I saw that they offer the Whipple complete kit with a RK Sport Hood for $8400. I checked the Whipple site and they seem to also offer the hood with their kit. The hood is like a ~$1,200 value, so the actual blower kit is significantly cheaper than the Heartbeat (@ ~$8,500) and seems to have more potential. The other thing that occurs to me is that with the Whipple's front center inlet, I could probably use my existing Halltech MF103/Beehive intake on it, with maybe just a bit of tweaking, whereas the offset inlet on the Heartbeat wouldn't work.
This kit is looking more attractive every day.
Old 11-08-2014, 08:36 AM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

I'm gonna have a virtually brand new Whipple kit for sale, for WAYYY less than that. It will include a brand new hood as well. It will also include an 8rib pulley kit.
Okay. Define "virtually new". Is it a take-off from a Vette or still in the box? What hood would it come with?
BTW: if it is a take-off, how many miles does it have on it and what's the reason for taking it off? How did it run, what power did it make etc?
Old 11-08-2014, 09:00 PM
C6smackdown
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Less than 10 miles on it. I didn't even finish tuning it. I pulled it off because I already have a Whipple on my other C6. It was a knee jerk reaction to buy another one.

I decided I didn't need 2 of the same system, so I'm building a NA motor for one C6 and keeping my Whipple on my RHS502 in my other C6.

The hood is the Whipple hood from RK Sport. Since I need the hood for my car, I will just drop ship a new one.
Okay. Define "virtually new". Is it a take-off from a Vette or still in the box? What hood would it come with?
BTW: if it is a take-off, how many miles does it have on it and what's the reason for taking it off? How did it run, what power did it make etc?
Old 11-09-2014, 12:30 AM
izaks
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Less than 10 miles on it. I didn't even finish tuning it. I pulled it off because I already have a Whipple on my other C6. It was a knee jerk reaction to buy another one.

I decided I didn't need 2 of the same system, so I'm building a NA motor for one C6 and keeping my Whipple on my RHS502 in my other C6.

The hood is the Whipple hood from RK Sport. Since I need the hood for my car, I will just drop ship a new one.
Price without hood, shipped to NY 11096
Tks.
Old 11-21-2014, 01:39 AM
izaks
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by izaks
Price without hood, shipped to NY 11096
Tks.
Any update ?
Old 11-22-2014, 09:30 AM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Just to update on my quest for information, I sent an email to Whipple requesting an install manual for their C6 kit and got a response within a couple of hours with the manual attached.
I have to say that it is probably the most detailed and comprehensive instruction manual (compared to the ECS and Heartbeat manuals) that I've seen. It's 75 pages and has numerous color photos on each page showing every aspect of the install for different year/ model C6s.
My biggest challenge with this, or any blower would be getting a decent mail order tune (since I live overseas) that works on my car. Basically, all I'm looking for is a decent base tune for the blower and headers, since the calibration that comes with the kit is for an otherwise stock engine (stock exhaust). What I'm looking for is a vendor that can offer the blower packaged with the tuning support (via email) to get the blower dialed in on my car.
I have to say that this is, IMV, why the ECS kit is such a success - it's a well thought out kit that makes a lot of power (as centrifugal blowers do) but the best thing is the ECS offers a ton of support (just going by what I've seen on here) and knows what works on Vettes, whilst, as already noted, Whipple seems to be much more Ford-centric (that's probably already a bad sign).
So, I've sent a request to Vengeance asking them if they would be able to do a custom tune for me and what software I should use, etc. I haven't heard back from them yet, so I will give them a call next week to see what they say.
If I can't get a definitive answer on a tuning solution for the Whipple, I may just throw in the towel and buy a kit from ECS, even if I have to get some air plugs...

Get notified of new replies

To Who's Running a Whipple Supercharger?

Old 12-10-2014, 08:25 AM
bbc=540
Instructor

Received 75 Likes on 30 Posts

Any news or updates with the Whipple? i am also trying to decide whether to go twin screw or ECS. Thanks!
Old 12-10-2014, 11:16 AM
chuntington101
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 100 Posts

[/B]

a 4 liter on that 502 would be a Monster! Don't know what you would have to do to hook it up though...
I think the Whipple 4.5 or 5.3 would be a better match to a 502 engine!
Old 12-10-2014, 11:17 PM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by bbc=540
Any news or updates with the Whipple? i am also trying to decide whether to go twin screw or ECS. Thanks!
I'm still pondering what to do. To be honest, I'm not really anxious to take the leap into doing a Whipple setup with so little information about it.
BTW: Vengeance did get back to me and Ron said that they could build me a tune for it which I believe, because those guys do some awesome work.
The added complication is that I just got a 3600 stall from FTI that should've actually been a 3200, and I've decided that I'm going to install it, but I figure that would turn into something like a 5000 stall with a Whipple or any PD blower, so I may just put a decent sized cam in it for now. I'm also considering either an A&A or ECS kit, but I'm still undecided on that too. Too many options I guess...

Quick Reply: Who's Running a Whipple Supercharger?