C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This winter is "GO FORCED INDUCTION WINTER" but I got questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 10:37 PM
lane_change
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default This winter is "GO FORCED INDUCTION WINTER" but I got questions

Okay....so I have decided that I think it's time to just bite the bullet and go with some boost over the winter. I've been buying mods for my current setup with the intentions of going boosted later, so in order to start collecting pieces, I need to get some advice from the "been there, done that crowd."

Quick specs on the car that will remain "as-is"

RHS 447ci motor
MAST 305cc heads
ProEFI EMS
Fore triple pump fuel system
ID1000's....but may upgrade to larger injectors if necessary (E85 car)
ARH 2" headers
RPM Level 5 transmission (may call RPM to ask about the upgrade cost to make my level 5 and level 7)
RPS carbon twin clutch (may replace with a DYAD or BC3)
Nitrous kit will be downgraded to a spool kit

I will need to switch intake manifold setups, debating the Holley Hi-Rise or the MAST single plane 4500 with 4500 TB and All-Pro elbow....willing to cut the hood, just need to pick the right intake, so I would like advice on which people have better luck with.

I have always preferred turbo spool....but the tuner would recommend blower for simple, reliable, consistent performance with a shot on top to help spool characteristics of the larger F series blowers and I'm a sucker for simplicity by design. So speaking of blowers...what setups are most effective for consistent power, low maintenance, little drama. ECS Novi 2000, YSI, Procharger F1 (A, X, etc..) Power output, I'm looking for the 1000-1400whp range, I know...kind of broad, but I want the upgrade potential for 1400+whp, but I may only spin it for around 1000whp or so for now.

What are people preferring for the drive setup? Direct drive? Flip drive? 8 rib? 10 rib?

Are the intercooler kits that come with most of these blower setups efficient or would I be better off having a custom intercooler fabricated to work for my setup? Sorry, I've never dealt with a supercharger setup on a Z06, so welcome to rookie night at the Apollo.

Any other crap that I need to think about, please feel free to share. I'm here's to learn everyone.

Recap:

Intake Manifold?
Blower Type?
Drive Type?
Intercooler?
Misc.?

Domo Arigato!
Old 10-16-2014, 10:54 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

Blower setup:
F1X, Flip Drive, 10 Rib, 10% OD IW balancer, A&A or ECS bracket, biggest IC you can get in there, maybe the new procharger race intercooler. ID2000 injectors at the minimum (E85).

This should get you 1300rwhp.

Turbo:
A custom big single or twin turbo setup, more power with less boost, more adjustability, no belt issues, less strain on the motor to make the same hp to the wheels.

You're gonna spend $15k no matter which way you go so.... pick your poison.

Pros and cons to both setups.

Intake doesn't really matter, I'd keep the sheetmetal for boost over a Fast for sure...

Do a build thread and post lots of pics.
Old 10-17-2014, 08:58 AM
ZO6er
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ajrothm
Blower setup:
F1X, Flip Drive, 10 Rib, 10% OD IW balancer, A&A or ECS bracket, biggest IC you can get in there, maybe the new procharger race intercooler. ID2000 injectors at the minimum (E85).

This should get you 1300rwhp.

Turbo:
A custom big single or twin turbo setup, more power with less boost, more adjustability, no belt issues, less strain on the motor to make the same hp to the wheels.

You're gonna spend $15k no matter which way you go so.... pick your poison.

Pros and cons to both setups.

Intake doesn't really matter, I'd keep the sheetmetal for boost over a Fast for sure...

Do a build thread and post lots of pics.
I would agree...but be ready for the what's better battle between snails vs SCs....I think it's what ever you like, so I would go the route white lighting has gone with his racecar since you opted to lean that way via your tuner....the new billet YSI should be trick as well.
Old 10-17-2014, 09:12 AM
breecher_7
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Based on the cubic inches alone I would not run a YSI. I love the YSI but I think your goals would be better suited with a F1X. RobertMiller over the the C5 section runs a 427ci RHS, Cartek bracketed F1X with flip drive and makes north of 1100whp through a auto with room to grow. You might want to talk to him...

F1X
Cartek Bracket
Flip/Direct Drive
Custom Intercooler
Hard piping (eliminate as many soft connections as you can)
Minimum of two Tial Q 50mm BOV's with 3lb springs
ID 2000 injectors
Alky Control Meth with dual 15gph nozzles
May want to consider Halltech ECU with dual wideband control and flexfuel capability for E85 usage....

That would be my recipe..

Last edited by breecher_7; 10-17-2014 at 09:16 AM.
Old 10-17-2014, 09:41 AM
yur2slo
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by breecher_7
Based on the cubic inches alone I would not run a YSI. I love the YSI but I think your goals would be better suited with a F1X. RobertMiller over the the C5 section runs a 427ci RHS, Cartek bracketed F1X with flip drive and makes north of 1100whp through a auto with room to grow. You might want to talk to him...

F1X
Cartek Bracket
Flip/Direct Drive
Custom Intercooler
Hard piping (eliminate as many soft connections as you can)
Minimum of two Tial Q 50mm BOV's with 3lb springs
ID 2000 injectors
Alky Control Meth with dual 15gph nozzles
May want to consider Halltech ECU with dual wideband control and flexfuel capability for E85 usage....

That would be my recipe..
That's pretty much my setup right there, with direct port meth and direct port nitrous on top and Haltech controlling everything. Results should be in soon - work being done by FSP.
Old 10-17-2014, 01:09 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

I would agree with Breech.

F1X on cartek or ECS bracket, cogged DD, 10 rib.
Intake, stock or sheet metal.
Intercooler/piping custom if you have a decent shop. I think all the kits could use an improvement. Just swapped a FMIC on a F1R Camaro and gained almost 100rwhp over the PC intercooler.

Injectors, 1300s or 2000s. Whatever will work.

If you could or want to try, could see about running an XB110 vortech unit, but would come through hood or need some crazy stuff, but could be worth a look.
Old 10-17-2014, 01:19 PM
lane_change
Melting Slicks

So the F1X is winning hands down so far. Regarding the Halltech, I am already on the ProEFI EMS and will not be switching from that to a different EMS.

D3 can do excellent custom fab work, so I am 100% confident in their ability to build an intercooler, piping, that is efficient for this setup. I just didn't know if the factory provided FMIC setups were perfectly sufficient and cheaper than going custom, or if I'd make more power spending a bit more on a custom made unit.

I was curious to see if the UPP Twin Kit (top mount) setup with upgraded wheels would work, but I've still yet to see any real world data or results to speak of that would make me want to try that on out my own car.
Old 10-17-2014, 01:29 PM
DSteck
Safety Car

Received 83 Likes on 42 Posts
Tech Contributor

Shoulda just bought my car, dummy.
Old 10-17-2014, 03:44 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Stecks car would be a great option.

I would take a F1X over a top mount twin setup any day of the week, especially if you plan on driving it. That being said, for a car you actually want to drive, I would do a Ysi/2200R, make ~1100 on boost, and spray for the rest. But if you really want 1300, the F1X is the blower to get there, but if you would be ok with 1100, do a Ysi.

For 1400+, even an F1X may be taxed to get there. Maybe look at a F2. Only blower vette I've ever seen clear 1400 was an F2 car.
Old 10-17-2014, 05:35 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Unreal
Stecks car would be a great option.

I would take a F1X over a top mount twin setup any day of the week, especially if you plan on driving it. That being said, for a car you actually want to drive, I would do a Ysi/2200R, make ~1100 on boost, and spray for the rest. But if you really want 1300, the F1X is the blower to get there, but if you would be ok with 1100, do a Ysi.

For 1400+, even an F1X may be taxed to get there. Maybe look at a F2. Only blower vette I've ever seen clear 1400 was an F2 car.

F2 is WAY harder on belts...

Stick with the F1x, make 1300.... Throw a 200 shot on it if you need more.

You're already gonna be having to restrict the F1x to keep the boost down to safe E85 areas.... A maxed F1x will make 30 psi on your motor...Too much for pump/meth or E85 in my opinion....

I agree about the YSI being a better all around head unit though and probably more reliable with a bunch of miles.

I'd steer way clear of an F2... you never see F2 cars run for long without breaking something.
Old 10-17-2014, 06:07 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

That goes for most "race" style blowers.
Old 10-17-2014, 06:09 PM
lane_change
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by DSteck
Shoulda just bought my car, dummy.
Yea, plus it's LMB which is the best color imo.

I'm not going with an F2, like others on here....too many horror stories about that setup failing to provide consistent results. The F1X sounds like the blower option to go with, and since I will keep a bit of spray on the car, if I need more, I'll find it in my collection of pills.

I just sold my Wilson sheet metal intake manifold though....so I need to order a new intake manifold today. Go with a stock LS7? Blow through? Holley EFI? or custom sheet metal from TRE, Frankenstein, etc...?
Old 10-18-2014, 10:56 AM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by lane_change
Yea, plus it's LMB which is the best color imo.

I'm not going with an F2, like others on here....too many horror stories about that setup failing to provide consistent results. The F1X sounds like the blower option to go with, and since I will keep a bit of spray on the car, if I need more, I'll find it in my collection of pills.

I just sold my Wilson sheet metal intake manifold though....so I need to order a new intake manifold today. Go with a stock LS7? Blow through? Holley EFI? or custom sheet metal from TRE, Frankenstein, etc...?
I'd go back with a stock LS7 intake. Ofcourse another sheetmetal intake would look pimp but...You can make plenty of power with the stock LS7 intake and tb... Whitelightning made 1300+ with an LS7 I believe..

A cheaper and good alternative would be the Holley High ram if you have a tall hood on your car, you will have to cut the cowl though..

With boost, the intakes have MUCH less gains....
People make 1k+ on LS6 intakes and 78mm TBs...and an LS7 is leaps and bounds more capable then that.
Old 10-18-2014, 02:27 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

I believe he ran a PMC intake when he made 1300+. Sinisster was stock ls3 with 1600rwhp though.
Old 10-18-2014, 08:12 PM
BOO666
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Default Forced ind

Why don't you keep the n20 ? It would be less cost . N20 is easy once you get it ironed out . Just read the plugs .It's no different than turbo or blower . It takes time to sneak up on your tune .. the torque hit is awesome when it's right .But if I were you I would get the new procharger f1 A 94 if you absolutely are going blower . Everyone using it say it's amazing . I was told is " the game changer " idk . I like the big punch in a small package .

Last edited by BOO666; 10-18-2014 at 08:36 PM.
Old 10-18-2014, 09:45 PM
gotjuice?
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

I run a YSI with 100 shot on top for mile runs. Temps have been good. Stock ls7 intake, I was looking at yours, But have not seen any positive results for power increase, It just looks better. Gus increased his power from the YSI to turbo by a couple of hundred. Now going top mount to add another couple hundred. Might want to check with Lethal as they are doing several top mount turbos.
Old 10-20-2014, 10:21 AM
lane_change
Melting Slicks

Leaning towards the DKT Twin 67/66 setup.

I think in my head, I will regret it if I go with the supercharged setup simply for simplicity of installation or maintenance. I have always been a turbo fan, love the feel of a turbo car...maybe what I need to do is ride in a 1000+ blower Vette and then ride in a 1000+ TT Vette. Come on Houston, I know there's dozens of you 4 digit cars rolling around. lol

But that is where I'm leaning right now. Money wise, it's an insignificant difference in the long run, it's just a matter of how the power comes on and what it feels like for me. I'm not trying to set a hp record, 1/4 mile record, standling mile record, etc....I just want my car to entertain me.

Get notified of new replies

To This winter is "GO FORCED INDUCTION WINTER" but I got questions

Old 10-20-2014, 10:23 AM
DSteck
Safety Car

Received 83 Likes on 42 Posts
Tech Contributor

Come to St. Louis. Auto TT and auto F1X car both available. Lol.
Old 10-20-2014, 10:29 AM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

I knew you'd lean towards turbo Scott. For your goals (1200+) I think the DKT kit is where it's at. But, like you, I think you'll end up having buyer's remorse and wishing you just slapped an F1X on there. It's pretty hard to beat the kind of numbers Feldmand and George are making with theirs.
Old 10-20-2014, 10:39 AM
White_Lightning
Melting Slicks

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

I havent owned an TT vette.. but did a lit of research and here is my list of pros/cons..

F1X:
dont bother with out 10 rib, Direct/flit drive/Heavy duty brackets.
Cog drives are awesome on paper.. sUCK for stick shift vettes in real life.
no real easy boost control, but if your builder is smart its not hard.. have a seperate inlet pipe that limits my boost for my pump gas setting.
Avoid your rev limiter or you will be swapping belts.
once its aligned and set.. its pretty much just leave it alone.
Boost only.. IMO maxing out @ 1300-1400 unless you do a WILD motor combo.

TT
Boost control
no belt issues
Potential to make more power than f1x owing to being able to slap 2 bigger turbos on.
If you think they are issue less you are mistaken.. almost every 1000+ hp TT car i have watched run is plagued with issues when driven hard alot.
VERY VERY complicated custom setups for make more than the f1x Can.

For me while the TT system looks MUCH better on paper... almost all the BIG power TT cars seem too inconsistant and too problematic IMO.. but they do the potential to make more power at the end of the day with a broader powerband than the Centris.

that being said.. im centri.. and i doubt i will EVER swap to TTs..

If i ever decided to go FULL RETARD on my car.. it would be a glide with a cog driven f3 and not turbos.

Quick Reply: This winter is "GO FORCED INDUCTION WINTER" but I got questions