C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Street Reliable Setup... Your Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 02:44 PM
Storx
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Street Reliable Setup... Your Opinions

I don't come on this forums a whole lot and i have very little knowledge among the different forced induction setups available on the market for the corvette. I tried to use the search bar but its a nightmare trying to click through all the random findings for stuff remote to what i am looking for..majority of the results where vendors trying to sell supercharger kits....

I have owned C6 before, but was forced to sell due to divorce... well i have missed it and want to get another and i am picking up one very soon. I have put together 25K in cash to spend on one after selling off my motorcycle and a few odds and ends i no longer used around the house.

What setup or kit would you recommend for someone who is looking for just a bump in power to make it fun to beat on civics and other crappy cars at the local drag strips? I am pretty mechanically inclined so i can install a kit myself and i do have a welder if their is a budget way of going about it if i could tack together stuff and have it professionally welded up off the car.

I am aiming to use the STOCK engine for the most part or slightly upgraded one if i can find a good deal on a higher mile unit and toss some new forged pistons and rods into. I am not looking for a 800+ hp car as i want this car to be reliable on the street for daily use still as i plan to use it for driving to and from work in the year around Florida sun since i am no longer located in Colorado and im told people drive vettes year around down here.

Also i am looking to keep it within the limits of the factory AUTO can handle as im aim more so for an Auto car than a Manual.
Old 10-20-2014, 03:09 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

ECS or A&A system.
Old 10-20-2014, 04:24 PM
Storx
Instructor

Originally Posted by schpenxel
ECS or A&A system.
I am assuming that these are superchargers.. are they reliable on the street? i ask because i had a Ford Lightning years back and the supercharger was constantly needing maintenance.. between oil changes, gaskets leaking and belts braking..
Old 10-20-2014, 06:28 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by Storx
I am assuming that these are superchargers.. are they reliable on the street? i ask because i had a Ford Lightning years back and the supercharger was constantly needing maintenance.. between oil changes, gaskets leaking and belts braking..
Yes. Ecs and a&a manufacture supercharger systems. The blower themselves are made by Paxton I believe. A&a/ecs sell a kit with all the piping, inter cooler, brackets, etc. and both offer excellent support.

Both are reliable. I posted a thread about high mileage SC'd cars a few days ago that is probably worth reading. They need oil changes when you change engine oil and new belt about once a year

Most important is having a good tune if you don't want to blow anything up anytime soon. A good or bad tune will literally make or break your engine in a hurry.

Adding this much power does have a risk of breaking things, but that is true basically no matter what route you go
Old 10-20-2014, 07:49 PM
Storx
Instructor

i see that you have a black vette, how do you keep that thing clean.. i had a black C6 a few years back before divorce forced me to sell it and it was a pain in the rear to keep clean to me.. loved it to death when it was clean.. but boy did it get dirty quick.
Old 10-20-2014, 07:54 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

i see that you have a black vette, how do you keep that thing clean.. i had a black C6 a few years back before divorce forced me to sell it and it was a pain in the rear to keep clean to me.. loved it to death when it was clean.. but boy did it get dirty quick.
You aren't kidding.. I don't have a garage at the moment, so it is horrible keeping it clean (first world problems I suppose..)

I spent all day yesterday polishing/cleaning it, and it's dirty again already.. I love the black C6's though, I just need a garage to store it in..
Old 10-21-2014, 04:02 PM
Storx
Instructor

Originally Posted by schpenxel
You aren't kidding.. I don't have a garage at the moment, so it is horrible keeping it clean (first world problems I suppose..)

I spent all day yesterday polishing/cleaning it, and it's dirty again already.. I love the black C6's though, I just need a garage to store it in..
That sucks!!, i know what you mean in a WAY.. i recently just purchased a condo down here in Florida that has a single car garage.. but after buying the place its full of remodeling stuff im slowly doing to the place.. soo hopely i can have it emptied and the reno done by the time i find a Vette to purchase.. no matter if its black or not.. i am maybe leaning towards White or the Orange color.. seen an Beautiful White one months back that really impressed me with simple cosmetic mods.. and then the Orange ones just look good with black it seems..
Old 10-21-2014, 04:06 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

That sucks!!, i know what you mean in a WAY.. i recently just purchased a condo down here in Florida that has a single car garage.. but after buying the place its full of remodeling stuff im slowly doing to the place.. soo hopely i can have it emptied and the reno done by the time i find a Vette to purchase.. no matter if its black or not.. i am maybe leaning towards White or the Orange color.. seen an Beautiful White one months back that really impressed me with simple cosmetic mods.. and then the Orange ones just look good with black it seems..
Yeah I've seen some orange ones that had the roof painted black, so basically everything above the top of the doors was black. It looked reallly good.

Little too loud for me though, so I went with black

Kind of like this one

http://farm8.static.flickr.com/7377/...6c95aae5_m.jpg

Old 10-21-2014, 04:34 PM
Nosferatu
Le Mans Master

Received 127 Likes on 80 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

I garage my black one and it still gets filthy. Like the other guy said there's an active thread going over your exact same concern. I even commented heavily in it. I'm not repeating myself again but there's plenty of good info in there.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...rged-c6-s.html
Old 10-21-2014, 06:24 PM
SinisterC6
Le Mans Master

Received 376 Likes on 190 Posts

Realistically how much power would you like, 600rwhp?

Blowers are a good option and allow you to get near stock milage and drivability if those are concerns to you. Staying at 8-10 psi for 600-650 rwhp will keep the motor happy for a long time.

More important than the kit is who installs the system and tunes the computer as either kit can can riddle you with problems and blow your motor if not properly installed and tuned.
Old 10-21-2014, 07:12 PM
vforrest
Racer

I asked the same question your are now asking last March when I put on an Edlebrock SC...05 M6 Z51 garage queen that had 27k on it when I pulled the trigger.

I liked the idea of getting good performance out of low boost 5lbs-ish as I wanted to keep as many stock parts as possible. Everything is still stock 492/464 and love it but will put on headers and mid pipes to go with the Borla's that are on it for this winters project. The boost comes on for me at 2,500 rpm as I don't hammer it from a dead stop always a roll. My tuner says I'll get another 50-ish HP with a smaller pulley and tune and still around 5lbs of boost...and then I'll be done. I've never been chasing a number so the dyno number are what they are but the smile it puts on my face and the reaction of a hand full of people I've taken for a spin is what is important...

I don't and won't track the car (it really is my one and only go fast car so I want to preserve it as long as I can) but love the feel in my pants with how the car feels pulling down low in 2nd, 3rd, 4th...when I shift to 5th at 148 mph I lift shortly after. Been to 152 mph twice and the whole car is beginning to feel really light at that point and I shut it down. The airport runway thing might be fun though!

So 8K miles driven on it this year and soon back to storage...I hate winter...I got 32.4 mpg on a 2K trip to NC and back which freaked me out but @ 80 mph I'm pulling 2K on the tach. Best of both worlds and with no issues this year. Another aspect of why I choose this SC beside the type of performance, I don't usually drive close to the redline, was the low maintenance 100,000 miles between oil changes on the SC.

But now you get to do what I did for several winter months last year is go through all the decision gates that are important to you and build up your go fast car.....
Old 10-21-2014, 07:57 PM
ATLS2
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

650whp seems to be my traction limit without going 15s. I don't consider 15s street tires. So, 650 is the number I'll go with.
Old 10-22-2014, 04:14 PM
Storx
Instructor

Originally Posted by vforrest
I asked the same question your are now asking last March when I put on an Edlebrock SC...05 M6 Z51 garage queen that had 27k on it when I pulled the trigger.

I liked the idea of getting good performance out of low boost 5lbs-ish as I wanted to keep as many stock parts as possible. Everything is still stock 492/464 and love it but will put on headers and mid pipes to go with the Borla's that are on it for this winters project. The boost comes on for me at 2,500 rpm as I don't hammer it from a dead stop always a roll. My tuner says I'll get another 50-ish HP with a smaller pulley and tune and still around 5lbs of boost...and then I'll be done. I've never been chasing a number so the dyno number are what they are but the smile it puts on my face and the reaction of a hand full of people I've taken for a spin is what is important...

I don't and won't track the car (it really is my one and only go fast car so I want to preserve it as long as I can) but love the feel in my pants with how the car feels pulling down low in 2nd, 3rd, 4th...when I shift to 5th at 148 mph I lift shortly after. Been to 152 mph twice and the whole car is beginning to feel really light at that point and I shut it down. The airport runway thing might be fun though!

So 8K miles driven on it this year and soon back to storage...I hate winter...I got 32.4 mpg on a 2K trip to NC and back which freaked me out but @ 80 mph I'm pulling 2K on the tach. Best of both worlds and with no issues this year. Another aspect of why I choose this SC beside the type of performance, I don't usually drive close to the redline, was the low maintenance 100,000 miles between oil changes on the SC.

But now you get to do what I did for several winter months last year is go through all the decision gates that are important to you and build up your go fast car.....
Thank you for your input, i plan to utilize this car as my primary source of transportation down here in Florida. I don't plan to pile many miles on the Corvette as i am only about 5 miles from the Hospital i am currently at. So as of right now i am sitting at maybe 6k miles for the year driving on my current car and figured a Corvette would be an awesome car for such little miles each year, since majority of the miles on my current car are from going to and from car shows and car meets every week. I plan to have a cheap 2nd vehicle, but i am aiming more so for a cheap pickup for the occasional blast to the woods with the ATV or Dirtbike or Fishing and leave the Vette at home. I dont truly need a commuter car as the amount of miles i have been averaging since moving to Florida would put me at a difference of about $30 bucks a month in cost vs a corvette or less, so i look at it as a wash since im currently only buying gas about once every 4-5 weeks.
Old 10-22-2014, 04:23 PM
Storx
Instructor

Originally Posted by ATLS2
650whp seems to be my traction limit without going 15s. I don't consider 15s street tires. So, 650 is the number I'll go with.
I actually really like the 15 inch tire design, i was actually looking up the cost to convert to those tires on a C6, just because i like the look that much more than the low profile tires the C6 comes with.

Old 10-22-2014, 04:58 PM
ExoticMotorClub
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

OP, thank you for asking this as I am in a similar situation. Everyone asks how much HP you want, and I never know what to answer...
Old 10-22-2014, 05:48 PM
JetstreamGS
Drifting

Received 174 Likes on 148 Posts

I love that JSB on the Welds! Anyone know the wheel and tire specs?
Old 10-22-2014, 06:14 PM
Storx
Instructor

Originally Posted by JetstreamGS
I love that JSB on the Welds! Anyone know the wheel and tire specs?
His profile says 18 x 4.75 fronts, 15 x 10 rears doesn't state the tire size tho

Get notified of new replies

To Street Reliable Setup... Your Opinions

Old 10-22-2014, 09:06 PM
DSOMC6
Le Mans Master

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

What's your budget?
I've had this set-up (with APS exhaust and cam) for seven years and it's been VERY reliable.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...urbo-kits.html

I'd do it again in a heartbeat. It's an awesome set-up for a dd.
Old 10-22-2014, 09:41 PM
Storx
Instructor

Originally Posted by DSOMC6
What's your budget?
I've had this set-up (with APS exhaust and cam) for seven years and it's been VERY reliable.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...urbo-kits.html

I'd do it again in a heartbeat. It's an awesome set-up for a dd.
Sorry i am not looking to spend 9-12k on a turbo kit, at that price i can pull the motor myself and weld a custom setup myself... i am pretty handy.. just asking for advice on which one would be IDEAL for reliable street driving.. for probably many years..
Old 10-23-2014, 08:00 AM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Received 1,339 Likes on 947 Posts

Sorry i am not looking to spend 9-12k on a turbo kit, at that price i can pull the motor myself and weld a custom setup myself... i am pretty handy.. just asking for advice on which one would be IDEAL for reliable street driving.. for probably many years..
A TVS blower is your best bet for a mainly street driven Vette. Extra power all through the power band...along with OEM reliability.

Quick Reply: Street Reliable Setup... Your Opinions