C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To Supercharge or Not to Supercharge

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 01:50 PM
genolan
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Default To Supercharge or Not to Supercharge

I'm struggling with making the jump to Supercharging my 08 z51 stock vette. I recently purchase a 520hp Backdraft cobra and the power is far superior to the Vette due to the car only weighing 2400lbs. With that being said I lost the thrill of driving the vette it's now a Pig in my book.
So do I spend the $6500 and go to ECS and gain 200hp or sell the girl and move into something else? I'm concerned about reliability and resale value and will 200hp be enough?
Thanks
Gary
New Jersey
Old 10-30-2014, 02:19 PM
robertaj
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just putting it out there but adding the supercharger/meth/headers was just about the funnest thing I have ever done to my 08 z51 or ANy other car i have ever owned for that matter.

I did end up with a new mantic clutch too after a bit just as a preventative...

supercharge it and never look back!! and ECS is 100% the way to go. Their customer support is top notch
Old 10-30-2014, 02:21 PM
cjlaw73
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by genolan
I'm struggling with making the jump to Supercharging my 08 z51 stock vette. I recently purchase a 520hp Backdraft cobra and the power is far superior to the Vette due to the car only weighing 2400lbs. With that being said I lost the thrill of driving the vette it's now a Pig in my book.
So do I spend the $6500 and go to ECS and gain 200hp or sell the girl and move into something else? I'm concerned about reliability and resale value and will 200hp be enough?
Thanks
Gary
New Jersey
Probably a longshot, but is your Cobra black and would you have been driving through Medford the other day? Saw one in front of me with I think Jonathan Motorcar plates on it.

Two completely different animals you got there so not sure how to answer. The ECS kit will certainly wake up the Vette. Their kits are very reliable so that won't be an issue. Modding anything certainly doesn't increase the value of the car in relative terms. Give Chris or Doug a call. They'll give you honest advice.
Old 10-30-2014, 02:35 PM
genolan
Racer

Originally Posted by cjlaw73
Probably a longshot, but is your Cobra black and would you have been driving through Medford the other day? Saw one in front of me with I think Jonathan Motorcar plates on it.

Two completely different animals you got there so not sure how to answer. The ECS kit will certainly wake up the Vette. Their kits are very reliable so that won't be an issue. Modding anything certainly doesn't increase the value of the car in relative terms. Give Chris or Doug a call. They'll give you honest advice.
No, mines red and I'm in Sparta North NJ
Old 10-30-2014, 02:35 PM
genolan
Racer

Originally Posted by robertaj
Just putting it out there but adding the supercharger/meth/headers was just about the funnest thing I have ever done to my 08 z51 or ANy other car i have ever owned for that matter.

I did end up with a new mantic clutch too after a bit just as a preventative...

supercharge it and never look back!! and ECS is 100% the way to go. Their customer support is top notch
What HP and Torque did you end up with?
Old 10-30-2014, 02:38 PM
cjlaw73
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, mines red and I'm in Sparta North NJ
Yeah, I thought it might be a longshot, but I happened to see this car 2 or 3 days ago:

http://www.jonathanmotorcars.com/201...5/Details.aspx
Old 10-30-2014, 02:42 PM
robertaj
Drifting

What HP and Torque did you end up with?
655/630 at the wheels since i asked them to keep it good in traffic.. its my every day driver ( long as its not rainy/snowy)

Hardest part is now figuring out which tire to get to hold the HP..
Old 10-30-2014, 02:51 PM
genolan
Racer

655/630 at the wheels since i asked them to keep it good in traffic.. its my every day driver ( long as its not rainy/snowy)

Hardest part is now figuring out which tire to get to hold the HP..
Was Meth required or did you get it as a safety factor. How often do you need to fill up the Meth?

I find the best prices at Quality Discount Tire on Rt 10 in Randolph he beats tire rack and his price includes install and balance
Old 10-30-2014, 03:00 PM
robertaj
Drifting

Was Meth required or did you get it as a safety factor. How often do you need to fill up the Meth?

I find the best prices at Quality Discount Tire on Rt 10 in Randolph he beats tire rack and his price includes install and balance
Meth wasn't necessary i was at 590/590 before it (and before headers)... I got it as a safety factor.. and even more so to keep things cool.. I was doing some pulls in mexico against a modded z06... and it was mid summer so around 90 degrees out... first few runs I pulled him hard.. but then heat soak started to set in and he was inching up on me... after the meth things are MUCH more consistent

I fill the meth tank (washer fluid tank) maybe 2-3 times a year? i keep a 5 gallon jug of meth in the garage and just fill it whenever I need... its cheap.. locally I can purchase it at bruce's speed shop in rockaway... i think its 4 bucks a gallon or something like that.
Old 10-30-2014, 05:37 PM
redcycle13
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

Thanks
Gary
New Jersey
In my opinion nothing can give the feeling of a lightweight well set up car, but a boosted vette is a lot of fun.
Old 10-30-2014, 06:39 PM
1MEANGS
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Meth wasn't necessary i was at 590/590 before it (and before headers)... I got it as a safety factor.. and even more so to keep things cool.. I was doing some pulls in mexico against a modded z06... and it was mid summer so around 90 degrees out... first few runs I pulled him hard.. but then heat soak started to set in and he was inching up on me... after the meth things are MUCH more consistent

I fill the meth tank (washer fluid tank) maybe 2-3 times a year? i keep a 5 gallon jug of meth in the garage and just fill it whenever I need... its cheap.. locally I can purchase it at bruce's speed shop in rockaway... i think its 4 bucks a gallon or something like that.
meth useage all depends on how hard you beat on the car... I've had my meth kit for a year now and I'm on my 4th 5 gallon drum of it
Old 10-30-2014, 07:03 PM
1SwtRide
Drifting

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Thanks
Gary
New Jersey
Only way to answer that question is to drive or be driven in a car at the power level you're willing to spend the money to get. You've got a few NJ supercharged vette owners giving great input on your question. Hit us up. I'm sure someone will help out with a ride - including me. My biased suggestion - ECS

Best of luck.

John
Old 10-31-2014, 09:59 AM
genolan
Racer

I just started to research the COW Edlebrock E force supercharger and want to know how it compares to ECS 1500. I live half way between COW and ECS so the drive doesn't make a difference. I'm looking for a engine safe max horsepower solution at the best price.
Old 10-31-2014, 07:04 PM
EvanZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,275 Likes on 1,193 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

I did the A&A base kit on my GS and absolutely love it! Made 575RWHP on the 5th tuning pull in the middle of summer, so is probably right at 600. Car is a blast to drive, but is still very street able and reliable.
Old 11-01-2014, 01:59 PM
Dealripper
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Supercharge and keep on rolling. My DD has 867 RWHP. I find it to be powerful and reliable.

Get notified of new replies

To To Supercharge or Not to Supercharge

Quick Reply: To Supercharge or Not to Supercharge