C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Well, I finally did it.. (ECS /FSP)

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 07:31 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

I got a spare pump in the garage. Julio suggest maybe once a year just swapping them out and sending old one back for a rebuild. I think it is like $60 to rebuild one. Cheap for what you get.
Old 09-29-2015, 08:40 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

do you think it could have anything to do with the adjustments on the pac unit itself?... I remember my tuner had to fiddle with those a bit when we cranked the **** all the way up but I don't remember what they were for
Old 09-29-2015, 09:31 PM
Streetk14
Melting Slicks

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

I've played with the PAC settings a bit. One **** controls when the meth starts to spray based on input from your MAP or MAF converter. The other **** controls the amount of meth sprayed on that initial activation. At least that's how I remember them working off the top of my head. If you mess with one, you usually want to mess with the other since they affect each other.

Maybe your issue could be wiring or relay related? Seems kind of early to have a pump crap out, but I guess anything's possible. Maybe moisture from all that rain is wreaking havoc on some electrical connections or components? Just a thought...
Old 09-29-2015, 10:23 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by neutron82
do you think it could have anything to do with the adjustments on the pac unit itself?... I remember my tuner had to fiddle with those a bit when we cranked the **** all the way up but I don't remember what they were for
if it were a new install I'd think that could be it but since nothing else has changed I'm not really thinking that could be it. Even with the original setup, larger pulley/smaller restrictor I would get the green light. Now with smaller/larger pulley/restrictor I don't remember seeing it in a while. I'll play with it some this weekend and try to figure it out. It's not a complicated setup so shouldn't be bad to figure out

Originally Posted by Streetk14
I've played with the PAC settings a bit. One **** controls when the meth starts to spray based on input from your MAP or MAF converter. The other **** controls the amount of meth sprayed on that initial activation. At least that's how I remember them working off the top of my head. If you mess with one, you usually want to mess with the other since they affect each other.

Maybe your issue could be wiring or relay related? Seems kind of early to have a pump crap out, but I guess anything's possible. Maybe moisture from all that rain is wreaking havoc on some electrical connections or components? Just a thought...
I do wonder if it could be a wiring issue, though the system uses weatherpack connectors for the connection running to the pump, so they should be fine I would have thought. Def. something to check though.

Originally Posted by Unreal
I got a spare pump in the garage. Julio suggest maybe once a year just swapping them out and sending old one back for a rebuild. I think it is like $60 to rebuild one. Cheap for what you get.
That's what I was planning on doing too--first year I was just going to buy a new pump so I'd have a spare, then send the old one back for a rebuild before I hit 2 years (assuming I keep the car that long, etc.)
Old 09-30-2015, 07:28 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Figured it out... the eff'ing hose was loose where it connects to the nozzle at the charge tube. I'm just glad nothing caught on fire. When I hit the test button meth sprayed all over the place. I must have loosened it while I was messing with either the evap system or when I was putting the black covering stuff on the meth hose.

So.. pulled it apart while I was at it and cleaned the filter, etc.

Put it back together and now the green light comes on very quickly when hitting test. Took it for a spin and it quickly maxed out my wideband on the rich side.. so, it's working now. Need to pull a little fuel out.

This should also solve my problem of there being a delay the first time I used meth after the car was off a while.. I had to hold down the test button a few seconds before it would start actually making any difference.

So, yeah, I feel like an idiot. At least I'm not an idiot with a burned down car.
Old 09-30-2015, 08:21 PM
MARSC6
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

One way to clean the engine.
Old 10-05-2015, 08:27 PM
GeneSch
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by schpenxel
Figured it out... the eff'ing hose was loose where it connects to the nozzle at the charge tube. I'm just glad nothing caught on fire. When I hit the test button meth sprayed all over the place. I must have loosened it while I was messing with either the evap system or when I was putting the black covering stuff on the meth hose.

So.. pulled it apart while I was at it and cleaned the filter, etc.

Put it back together and now the green light comes on very quickly when hitting test. Took it for a spin and it quickly maxed out my wideband on the rich side.. so, it's working now. Need to pull a little fuel out.

This should also solve my problem of there being a delay the first time I used meth after the car was off a while.. I had to hold down the test button a few seconds before it would start actually making any difference.

So, yeah, I feel like an idiot. At least I'm not an idiot with a burned down car.
Was it the filter on the nozzle?
we will have to ad this to our PM list.
Old 10-05-2015, 10:17 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

I did clean the filter on the nozzle while I was messing with it... It had some white gunk on it. Some Dawn and a brush took whatever it was right off, though I'm not really sure what it was

I don't think it was blocking much but figured I might as well at that point since I had it apart. I haven't been able to drive it since unfortunately. It's been raining like crazy here. Hopefully tomorrow it will be sunny for the first time in two weeks
Old 10-07-2015, 09:19 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Finally was able to drive it again today. Between raining the last two weeks and travel for work I haven't driven it in a while besides a 2 mile trip after I found the meth hose loose.

Was about 7% richer now with the meth line connected properly, so that is good, I guess. Pulled the boost VE table down about 5% to take some fuel out. I'll mess with it more tomorrow but I get a green light on the meth system quick now, so that is good

Saw almost 10psi at 5,100 today. I may put the restrictor back in if boost keeps climbing fast. I don't spin it over 6K so it may be fine, just depends.

On the other hand, I'm running the stock cam & Z06 headers, so not the best flowing which equals more resistance = more "boost".

Or I could turn the meth **** to 10 and have at it and hope for the best

Last edited by schpenxel; 10-07-2015 at 09:39 PM.
Old 10-09-2015, 09:19 AM
Nosferatu
Le Mans Master

Received 127 Likes on 80 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

On the other hand, I'm running the stock cam & Z06 headers, so not the best flowing which equals more resistance = more "boost".

Or I could turn the meth **** to 10 and have at it and hope for the best
There's nothing wrong with the stock cam. You really should "do it right" and put it on a dyno to tweak it the way you want it.
Old 10-09-2015, 09:26 AM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Very true.

I need to look around and try to find a local shop that will let me spend a little time on their dyno
Old 10-09-2015, 09:27 AM
nullpointer
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Nosferatu
There's nothing wrong with the stock cam. You really should "do it right" and put it on a dyno to tweak it the way you want it.
Get it on the dyno and finish her up!! Run 12-13psi...you know you want to
Old 10-09-2015, 09:38 AM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

I know, I know.... I want to. We'll see

There's one shop down in Charlotte that has a dyno I could probably use. I buy my methanol from them and have talked to the owner a good bit and he seems pretty laid back. He has a twin turbo viper in the lobby too
Old 10-09-2015, 09:43 AM
nullpointer
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 41 Posts

I know, I know.... I want to. We'll see

There's one shop down in Charlotte that has a dyno I could probably use. I buy my methanol from them and have talked to the owner a good bit and he seems pretty laid back. He has a twin turbo viper in the lobby too
Drive her up to Buffalo, I'll buy wings and beer lol
Old 10-09-2015, 10:17 AM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

lol, if I'm ever up that way I'll let you know!
Old 10-09-2015, 11:30 AM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

Glad it was resolved easily!
Old 10-09-2015, 12:52 PM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Yea I'm not sure what that fuzzy white stuff is but it's worthwhile for those who haven't to do some PM on the filters. This is after 2-3 years. Top one cleaned, bottom not.

Name:  26767C48-DB24-452B-92FC-E41D9EA040DD_zpsgdr5jqcs.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  24.5 KB

Get notified of new replies

To Well, I finally did it.. (ECS /FSP)

Old 10-09-2015, 12:58 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

that is odd but I suppose the filter is doing it's job... are you using straight meth or a mixture?... not sure if that would have anything to do with the buildup or possibly there was something in your washer tank or pump that contributed to it?... I had my nozzles on for about a year and when I swapped them out the filters looked new
Old 10-09-2015, 01:03 PM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Straight meth. I don't think its something in the tank. Just years of use. I'm probably wrong on the lifetime of these nozzles. It's been a while.
Old 10-09-2015, 01:09 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Yeah mine was looking similar to that though not as bad.. I've only used VP M1 meth so it should be clean stuff I'd think?

I dunno.. All better now though!

Rear tires broke loose near top of 3rd this morning again when getting on the interstate, lol. I always get some funny looks when I go from normal car getting ready to accelerate on the on ramp to blowing the tires off at 70+ in no time

Quick Reply: Well, I finally did it.. (ECS /FSP)