C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Well, I finally did it.. (ECS /FSP)

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 05:50 PM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Received 1,110 Likes on 780 Posts

Originally Posted by realcanuk
May as well keep hijacking this epic thread. Not gonna do a full write up for a new one.
Can't believe my poor baby in pieces again. LOL. It never ends.
Holy Crap! You're not messing around!
That scene looks very familiar.
BTW: I have the exact same tranny jack ... wait, that doesn't sound right...
Old 11-24-2015, 10:37 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Sounds like it's about time for a trip out to Arizona or to the Cayman's!

I can't believe it's below freezing here already. Hopefully it warms up some here after a couple of cold days.

Last edited by schpenxel; 11-24-2015 at 10:37 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Arctic Vette (11-25-2015)
Old 11-25-2015, 05:32 AM
romandian
Drifting

Received 88 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by schpenxel
Feeling better about tune now.. Made some changes this morning that really helped. No surging, no bucking, no RPM dips after engine braking or any other weird stuff like that

Aside from the slight lope at idle I don't think most people could tell it has a cam, which is basically what I wanted. It drives like close to stock until you get on it

I was more frustrated than I let on earlier in the week but I think it's all ironed out now. I had some obnoxious bucking at low RPM's in 1st/2nd gear and some surging after engine braking sometimes among some other small things. Seems I got it all ironed out now.

Changing engine/supercharger oil this weekend and I think that's it for a little while..
what did you work on in the tune?

and btw how did the bap/fuel pump issues get resolved? how is fp behaving?
Old 11-25-2015, 08:33 AM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by romandian
what did you work on in the tune?

and btw how did the bap/fuel pump issues get resolved? how is fp behaving?
The short version is I adjusted min airflow table and the adaptive spark tables. The way I adjust min airflow is to engine brake and make note of the throttle position.. so say it is 18% while engine braking. Then I stop completely and let idle stabilize and note throttle position.. say it's 20%. In that case I would increase min airflow maybe 3-4% to keep the throttle open slightly more at minimum. I try to set it up so the throttle doesn't (can't) close too far..

For the adaptive spark tables I basically just went back to stock ones, reduced the correction for the very smallest errors down to 0 correction and then reduced the rest of the table too. This makes it stop trying to correct for small errors and stops it from over correcting on larger errors.

So far so good..

Fuel pressure has been fine now since re-making the battery cables. I'm surprised it made a difference but I haven't seen under 50psi since doing that

I'm using the new beta HP tuners scanner and it's records insanely fast compared to the old version, so I still see some ups and downs just from the fuel pressure pulsing and it picking it in such high resolution.. but if I average the fuel pressure over say 100msec then it's smooth and stays where it needs to be. I get over 240K frames in an hour now on an E40

And I put in a larger meth nozzle so that doesn't hurt either

Last edited by schpenxel; 11-25-2015 at 08:35 AM.
Old 11-25-2015, 10:17 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

My 6 year old tuning laptop battery now last ~40 minutes so hard to get more than 1 good log and rewrite in. So ordered a new laptop this morning. I count that as a car mod since it will be used for HP tuners 99% of the time, and gaming when out of town otherwise.

Everyone with cars like this should own HP tuners and be doing stuff themselves.
Old 11-25-2015, 10:27 AM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Totally agree. You can pretty much buy HPT and a wideband for not a whole lot more than what most charge for a single tune. Most tunes I've seen from "pro" shops were not that great. Some were absolute garbage that someone paid $500 for and didn't know the difference

I can see just setting it and forgetting it on a real basic low boost setup but beyond that I think you really need to be able to make changes or, at the absolute least, at least have a WB

Too many little things for it to be 100% right without a good bit of tweaking

Good example.. I had my IAT settings setup to add timing when it got under 50*. That was fine in warm weather.. this morning it was 32*, so it was adding timing even without meth spraying.

Was probably fine since I'm not that aggressive on timing anyways, but still not ideal and could have been bad if it was adding a lot.

And who doesn't like looking like a badass with a supercharged vette and a laptop in the passengers seat? lol

Last edited by schpenxel; 11-25-2015 at 10:31 AM.
Arctic Vette (11-27-2015)
Old 11-25-2015, 10:30 AM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Unreal
My 6 year old tuning laptop battery now last ~40 minutes so hard to get more than 1 good log and rewrite in. So ordered a new laptop this morning. I count that as a car mod since it will be used for HP tuners 99% of the time, and gaming when out of town otherwise.

Everyone with cars like this should own HP tuners and be doing stuff themselves.
Went through same thing last year.. such a pain.. battery wouldn't last a half hour... got a new laptop and loggng and tuning became a pleasure... and that is all I use the laptop for also.
Unreal (11-25-2015)
Old 11-25-2015, 11:28 AM
jdoyle
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Unreal

Totally agree. You can pretty much buy HPT and a wideband for not a whole lot more than what most charge for a single tune. Most tunes I've seen from "pro" shops were not that great. Some were absolute garbage that someone paid $500 for and didn't know the difference

I can see just setting it and forgetting it on a real basic low boost setup but beyond that I think you really need to be able to make changes or, at the absolute least, at least have a WB

Too many little things for it to be 100% right without a good bit of tweaking

Good example.. I had my IAT settings setup to add timing when it got under 50*. That was fine in warm weather.. this morning it was 32*, so it was adding timing even without meth spraying.

Was probably fine since I'm not that aggressive on timing anyways, but still not ideal and could have been bad if it was adding a lot.

And who doesn't like looking like a badass with a supercharged vette and a laptop in the passengers seat? lol
where would one begin to learn how to tune? my car needs a tune and id like to do it myself (for a multitude of reasons) but i just dont know where to start.
Old 11-25-2015, 11:35 AM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Greg Banish books/DVD's are a good place to start.

The tuning school has some books that I read through also but honestly I didn't think very highly of them so not sure I'd recommend them

HP Tuners forum has some good info too

Last edited by schpenxel; 11-25-2015 at 11:35 AM.
Old 11-25-2015, 11:36 AM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

IMO Greg Bannish books are a good read, to make sure you understand how everything actually works. Then HPT forums are good to read to see what people are doing.. solutions to problems etc. There are some tuning how to's floating around there also.

Read, read, and read some more... then ask questions.
Old 11-25-2015, 02:18 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Just start reading.

I went with a new 6th gen skylake setup with dedicated graphics. Traveling a ton for next 2-3 months so would like to play games at the hotel since I'm boring and have nothing else to do.
Old 11-25-2015, 02:41 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

I've got an ancient Lenovo tablet and MacBook Pro. MBP works better though, screen brightness sucks *** on the Lenovo so it's about impossible to see anything in the sun. Running HPT in VMWare has it's ups and downs sometimes though.
Old 11-25-2015, 03:18 PM
russ472
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 197 Likes on 161 Posts

I've got an ancient Lenovo tablet and MacBook Pro. MBP works better though, screen brightness sucks *** on the Lenovo so it's about impossible to see anything in the sun. Running HPT in VMWare has it's ups and downs sometimes though.
I have HP tuners running bootcamp on my macbook pro. How do you get your track pad to right click?

Since I can't figure that out, I have been running it on my 10 year old windows laptop to get by.
Old 11-25-2015, 03:20 PM
Dude_man
Drifting

Received 93 Likes on 75 Posts

Went through same thing last year.. such a pain.. battery wouldn't last a half hour... got a new laptop and loggng and tuning became a pleasure... and that is all I use the laptop for also.
$50 power converter FTW
Old 11-25-2015, 03:21 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Dude_man
$50 power converter FTW
That's what I was using to get by. Such a pain. A pleasure to just have a battery that lasts forever.
Old 11-25-2015, 03:29 PM
Dude_man
Drifting

That's what I was using to get by. Such a pain. A pleasure to just have a battery that lasts forever.
My macbook lasts for a few hours, when im driving Im always logging now. Sometimes when we go out to mexico, Im out all night. Im too paranoid to make a pull without it on now so I had to pick one up.
Old 11-25-2015, 03:34 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by Dude_man
$50 power converter FTW
Be careful.. I fried some kind of power chip on my HPT interface once already when I was doing that. Some kind of ground loop is what HPT claimed.. they fixed it for a fairly low price, but it was still pretty inconvenient. If I'm going on a longer trip I usually charge the laptop with the interface disconnected then log with the charger disconnected.

MBP battery lasts 2-3 hours when logging anyways so it's usually plenty

Last edited by schpenxel; 11-25-2015 at 03:36 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Well, I finally did it.. (ECS /FSP)

Old 11-25-2015, 03:37 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by russ472
I have HP tuners running bootcamp on my macbook pro. How do you get your track pad to right click?

Since I can't figure that out, I have been running it on my 10 year old windows laptop to get by.
I'm using VMWare instead.. lets you run windows inside of OS X. Using that setup the right click works the same as normal

There's a way to get it to work in bootcamp though.. somewhere in bootcamp settings you can set it up

https://support.apple.com/kb/PH17873?locale=en_US

Last edited by schpenxel; 11-25-2015 at 03:37 PM.
Old 11-25-2015, 04:01 PM
russ472
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 197 Likes on 161 Posts

I'm using VMWare instead.. lets you run windows inside of OS X. Using that setup the right click works the same as normal

There's a way to get it to work in bootcamp though.. somewhere in bootcamp settings you can set it up

https://support.apple.com/kb/PH17873?locale=en_US
who needs Siri when you can have Schpenxel
Arctic Vette (11-27-2015)
Old 11-25-2015, 04:03 PM
Dude_man
Drifting

I use parallel

Quick Reply: Well, I finally did it.. (ECS /FSP)