C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wideband Recommendations!

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 12:05 PM
1MEANGS
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Wideband Recommendations!

Lookin to add a wideband A/F gauge in my Boosted GS... As of now I have a dual pillar with two autometer phantom 2 gauges (Boost/ Fuel Pressure) also my meth light is installed on it and I have a raptor mini shift light... Should I replace the boost gauge with something that reads both A/F & boost? lil concerned with having two different brand gauges as if it might look out of place or should I get a three pillar pod and do that... I can also maybe install it elsewhere? Any help would be cool, love the gauges I got now cuz they match the factory cluster perfectly! Here is a pic of my set-up
Old 11-21-2014, 12:22 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

I would do a dashlogic/PLX setup and just keep those gauges.
Old 11-21-2014, 06:19 PM
1MEANGS
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Unreal
I would do a dashlogic/PLX setup and just keep those gauges.
http://www.palmerperformance.com/products/dashlogic/ ^ is that what you referring too?
Old 11-21-2014, 06:53 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Yes
Old 11-21-2014, 06:58 PM
1MEANGS
Melting Slicks

Gotcha now I see the plx package they have... I'll have to order it up... How easy is it to look @ during a pull... I can get it to read on heads up too correct? And can the data be saved or nah
Old 11-21-2014, 08:22 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Doesnt save, but you can set warnings that flash or beep. So you can program is for something like AFR <11.5 at WOT it says what you want "warning, danger to manifold"
Old 11-21-2014, 10:00 PM
Streetk14
Melting Slicks

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

I too have the PXL SM-AFR kit, but I bought it with their new touch gauge that plugs right into the module. They just released the Gen 4 AFR kit, which comes with the Bosch 4.9 sensor. Supposed to be a better 02 sensor than what comes with most widebands. The DashLogic guys sell the PLX AFR module for $179 by itself, but it's likely the older style. I'd get the Gen 4 with gauge direct from PLX: http://www.plxdevices.com/product_in...DBDSMAFR_DM6G4

And for what it's worth, I initially tried using the PLX module with the DashLogic to pipe the wideband data onto the HUD and DIC, but I wasn't totally happy with the response time. Seemed to get "hung up" pretty often. So I ended up using the included DM6 gauge to display my AFR, with my boost and fuel pressure (which aren't as important IMO) being displayed via the DashLogic.

You also get a bunch of other features if you use the DM6 gauge with the PLX module. 02 sensor life, reaction time, etc. The DashLogic can't process those things, but is an awesome little device in it's own right.

My setup:

Old 11-21-2014, 10:11 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by Unreal
Doesnt save, but you can set warnings that flash or beep. So you can program is for something like AFR <11.5 at WOT it says what you want "warning, danger to manifold"
BUT can it make the floorboards fall off like in the original fast and furious? haha

I've gotta get me a dashlogic setup. Too cool to not have.
Old 11-21-2014, 10:13 PM
1MEANGS
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Streetk14
I too have the PXL SM-AFR kit, but I bought it with their new touch gauge that plugs right into the module. They just released the Gen 4 AFR kit, which comes with the Bosch 4.9 sensor. Supposed to be a better 02 sensor than what comes with most widebands. The DashLogic guys sell the PLX AFR module for $179 by itself, but it's likely the older style. I'd get the Gen 4 with gauge direct from PLX: http://www.plxdevices.com/product_in...DBDSMAFR_DM6G4

And for what it's worth, I initially tried using the PLX module with the DashLogic to pipe the wideband data onto the HUD and DIC, but I wasn't totally happy with the response time. Seemed to get "hung up" pretty often. So I ended up using the included DM6 gauge to display my AFR, with my boost and fuel pressure (which aren't as important IMO) being displayed via the DashLogic.

You also get a bunch of other features if you use the DM6 gauge with the PLX module. 02 sensor life, reaction time, etc. The DashLogic can't process those things, but is an awesome little device in it's own right.

My setup:

I like that gauge a lot, would compliment my set up nicely thanks for the post man!
Old 11-22-2014, 03:47 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Just for your info... I just received an email from PLX. That setup is on sale for 189.00 which seems very reasonable.
Old 11-22-2014, 04:13 PM
Streetk14
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 1MEANGS
I like that gauge a lot, would compliment my set up nicely thanks for the post man!
No prob. I just like how simple the install is too. Feed the AFR module power + ground, then the gauge just plugs in with a supplied cable.

I've done the pillar gauge thing, but decided the single SLP pod I have now was a better look for this build. My Dashlogic can handle everything else.

And yeah, less than $200 for the AFR module with gauge is a pretty good deal.
Old 11-25-2014, 03:09 PM
JCox23
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm looking at this exact combo to add to my nitrous setup I'll install this winter so I can monitor air/fuel while spraying. Sounds like the PLX is the way to go! Thanks fo the info on the guage and the SLP pod. That set up looks great!
Old 11-25-2014, 03:40 PM
pikkashoe
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Street, since I am in the market for a wide band set up, this has really caught my attention. Looks great in your car. How hard is it to wire it up the SLP pod, in terms of routing wires up the dash up to that spot???
Old 11-25-2014, 10:03 PM
JCox23
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Also, did you have to do any drilling or cutting into the stock dash?
Old 11-26-2014, 12:46 PM
Boat Racer
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Streetk14
No prob. I just like how simple the install is too. Feed the AFR module power + ground, then the gauge just plugs in with a supplied cable.

I've done the pillar gauge thing, but decided the single SLP pod I have now was a better look for this build. My Dashlogic can handle everything else.

And yeah, less than $200 for the AFR module with gauge is a pretty good deal.
Street, thanks for the info and pic of the gauge mounted in your car. It looks great. I have the two gauge pillar now for boost and fuel pressure and would like this stand along gauge kit for monitoring AFR. Is the gauge just held by double sided tape? It doesn't look like it would fit where you have yours mounted as my lower gauge on the pillar mount looks to be about the same location. Any other suggestions on where to mount without drilling holes in the dash?
Old 11-26-2014, 05:09 PM
pikkashoe
Racer

Hey Streetk14,

I was reading the installation instructions for the SLP pod, and it asks to cut a hole in the factory dash, but it looks like its only required if your using the Autometer boost gauge. Appears the fitting going into the boost gauge interferes with the dash.

Did you have to drill anything using the DM-6 gauge? I really don't want to drill into the factory dash, in case I go back to stock and sell my car.

Let me know. Waiting to hear back before ordering! Thanks
Old 11-26-2014, 08:43 PM
Streetk14
Melting Slicks

Sorry guys, haven't been here much the last few days. I'll try to answer all the questions that were asked.

1) I didn't cut up the car to install this. Drilling a hole in the plastic instrument cluster trim bezel is only needed if you run a mechanical style gauge that has something sticking out the back. Not needed with something like the PLX gauge I have.

2) The SLP pod just sticks to the HUD switch bezel trim with double-sided tape.

3) I was able to route the wire harness from the gauge behind the dash trim pieces and down to the driver's footwell area where it crosses over behind the HVAC box over to the fusebox area on the passenger side. That's where I have my AFR module mounted.

I could remove this whole setup and have the car back to stock in probably 10 minutes. Hope that helps, but let me know if you have any other questions.

Get notified of new replies

To Wideband Recommendations!

Old 11-26-2014, 09:02 PM
Streetk14
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Boat Racer
Street, thanks for the info and pic of the gauge mounted in your car. It looks great. I have the two gauge pillar now for boost and fuel pressure and would like this stand along gauge kit for monitoring AFR. Is the gauge just held by double sided tape? It doesn't look like it would fit where you have yours mounted as my lower gauge on the pillar mount looks to be about the same location. Any other suggestions on where to mount without drilling holes in the dash?
I'm not sure if the SLP pod will fit with pillar gauges mounted. I'm going to have to guess no based on where I remember the gauges being in my other car.

Personally though, I'd give the wideband priority over everything else. That's why I chose to only have a gauge for the AFR reading, while my boost and fuel pressure can be displayed on the DIC or HUD via the DashLogic. AFR is really what I'm interested in when I'm making a WOT pull, so I want it as visible as possible. Being able to monitor boost and fuel pressure is nice, but not something I consider critical most of the time. Plus, if I'm losing fuel pressure for some reason, it should reflect in my wideband readings.

I can also have the AFR reading up on the HUD by plugging it's output into one of the DashLogic's aux. inputs, but I like to have that wire available to connect to my HP Tuners interface for logging. The gauge is a lot easier to keep an eye on for me that what's on the HUD.

Maybe time for a new setup? Just a thought.
Old 11-27-2014, 01:31 AM
JetstreamGS
Drifting

Received 174 Likes on 148 Posts

Good deal on that wb combo! Too bad the slp pod is $100 lol.
Old 11-27-2014, 08:10 AM
pikkashoe
Racer

Streek, one last question.

Did you have to pull the dash (the face of the dash)? Sounds like you just ran the wires down the back and side of the slp pod.

Thanks for responding by the way, ordering today.

Quick Reply: Wideband Recommendations!