C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

winterizing meth kit?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2014, 05:42 PM
77vette05
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default winterizing meth kit?

I was wondering if anyone drains the meth out of there systems for the winter? I have heard of draining and filling it up with washer fluid to keep pump seals from drying out? Any opinions. Thanks.
Old 11-27-2014, 10:20 PM
TTZ06VETTE
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

I dilute my mixture with water to a 50/50 just before storage and run it through. Only fill the reservoir with a few cups.
Old 12-01-2014, 09:35 AM
Julio
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 77vette05
I was wondering if anyone drains the meth out of there systems for the winter? I have heard of draining and filling it up with washer fluid to keep pump seals from drying out? Any opinions. Thanks.
If your going to do this, unhook the hose from the nozzle and drain as much as you can, then fill with blue washer fluid with the proper amount of meth for the given storage temp. Example -20
You can put in 1/2 gallon.. then push the test button until blue fluid comes out of the hose. At that time, the pump is sitting in washer fluid not 100%.
If you don't push the test button.. pump is sitting on 100% and all the extra work was done in vain.

Come spring.. same procedure.. drain washer fluid.. fill the tank with meth.. run it till it gets clearer. Go from there.
HTH
Old 12-01-2014, 02:45 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

What is your reason for winterizing methanol which has a freeze point of -143*?
Old 12-01-2014, 04:59 PM
Julio
Burning Brakes

Help longevity of seals within the pump. The meth don't need it.. its for pump health.

I use the salt water analogy... why keep your boat sitting in saltwater for months.. having the option to let it sit in a lot less aggressive chemical can only be helpful.

Old 12-01-2014, 06:00 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by Julio
Help longevity of seals within the pump. The meth don't need it.. its for pump health.

I use the salt water analogy... why keep your boat sitting in saltwater for months.. having the option to let it sit in a lot less aggressive chemical can only be helpful.

My meth system has been stored in sub zero weather full for probably 7-8 years....should I be worried?
Old 12-01-2014, 06:51 PM
Julio
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by saplumr
My meth system has been stored in sub zero weather full for probably 7-8 years....should I be worried?
Yes if you expect optimum performance. Seals will degrade over time. Its not a motor issue but simply methanol is a tough chemical.

My car sits on a trailer, gets driven 1-2 times a month.. and gets driven hard. Its the worse as it sits for extended periods without use.

After performing pressure tests on the system, at the 1 year, 2 year mark, 3 year.. typically by the time it gets to 3 years the seals will leak at full output. Meaning pressure in excess of 100-120 PSI. So every couple years I simply refresh the pump with new seals.

Pump motors have a 1500 hr rating. You'll never get to that.

If the car is not tuned where it needs it.. no worries.. keep using until the leak bothers you. Car like mine that makes 1200 RWHP.. i'm on it and not risking engine damage over 80 in parts.

Like an oil change.. I change mine every 2 minutes of WOT Some wait 10k miles.. or until the rod bearings start making sounds
Old 12-01-2014, 07:14 PM
MARSC6
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Julio
Yes if you expect optimum performance. Seals will degrade over time. Its not a motor issue but simply methanol is a tough chemical.

My car sits on a trailer, gets driven 1-2 times a month.. and gets driven hard. Its the worse as it sits for extended periods without use.

After performing pressure tests on the system, at the 1 year, 2 year mark, 3 year.. typically by the time it gets to 3 years the seals will leak at full output. Meaning pressure in excess of 100-120 PSI. So every couple years I simply refresh the pump with new seals.

Pump motors have a 1500 hr rating. You'll never get to that.

If the car is not tuned where it needs it.. no worries.. keep using until the leak bothers you. Car like mine that makes 1200 RWHP.. i'm on it and not risking engine damage over 80 in parts.

Like an oil change.. I change mine every 2 minutes of WOT Some wait 10k miles.. or until the rod bearings start making sounds
Is there a rebuild kit available? I'm almost at 5 years on the pump.
Old 12-02-2014, 09:47 AM
Julio
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MARSC6
Is there a rebuild kit available? I'm almost at 5 years on the pump.
2 options. Send it in for service or simply buy a new one.

HTH

Get notified of new replies

To winterizing meth kit?

Quick Reply: winterizing meth kit?