C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My C6 UPP Twin turbo build and car adventure :-)

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 11:06 PM
sr20dime
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
Default My C6 UPP Twin turbo build and car adventure :-)

Hi Everyone,

I never get time to make a post about my build over the last year but I thought since I had a few minutes and pictures uploaded I would get started!

I bought the car in September of 2013 as a NA 408 setup that made 525whp. It didn't take me long to decide that wasn't enough power So I added Nitrous, then decided to go turbo, then decided on turbo and nitrous then decided on turbo, nitrous and methanol..... You know how the power bug is.

The current setup:
Engine:
Forged 408 LS2
TFS 225cc heads
Vengeance Racing customs spec cam
Crane ultra pro lifters
FAST 102 intake ported by Vengeance Racing
Meling HV oil pump

Drivetrain:
RPM Stage V T56 transmission
Z06 Diff
Mantic 9000 w/race disk
LG carbon fiber driveshaft
MGW shifter

Fuel system:
Walbro 480lph pump
KB 40a boost a pump
ID1000 injectors
FAST Billet rails

Cooling:
Stock Radiator with dual fan upgrade

Electronics:
GFB G-forceII EBC
Nitrous express maximizer 4
Nitrous outlet switch panel
Custom relay box and wiring for the other 1 million accessories
NTK AFX wideband
HP Tuners Pro
Aeroforce Dual guage system

Power Adders:
UPP stage 2 Twin turbo Kit
Ntrous express lightning solenoids
Nitrous express 90mm plate (75 shot)
Devils own twin methanol injection kit (dual 12gph nozels)

Check out my build process over the last year below it has been a lot of work but I have fun doing it!

So it began here:
I bought the car like this and drove it maybe a week before the modding. It was a forged LS2 408 setup with TFS 225 heads and RPM built T56.

I moved my nitrous kit from my CTS-V “daily” but the first time I sprayed it the clutch slipped. I went with a new Mantic 9000 clutch from ECS (Awesome guys and clutch)

Carbon fiber driveshaft from LG with 1 DSS urethane coupler and one billet one

On the nitrous setup after putting the Mantic clutch in. The car made 650whp on a 150 shot, 720whp and almost 775ft lbs of torque on a 250shot with racegas (104 unleaded). Wow, the was car fun but Damn I got tired of filling bottles and playing with heaters to keep pressure up and etc, etc, etc….

About a month after all that fun I decided to change the setup so I didn't have to deal with all the nitrous refills and etc. I gave CK at UPP a call (awesome guys, product and service!) and they talked me into their upgraded (twin gt35r kit) and off we went again with more work!
I needed to pull the engine and change the cam so why not do other upgrades while I’m at it? When I got the engine out I found both motor mounts and both trans mounts were busted! Thanks to Hinson for the upgraded trans and motor mounts. (sorry no pics I forgot until it was to late)

I ordered a new B&B fusion extreme, crane ultra pro lifters, gasket kit, HV oil pump, cam gear/chain, dual radiator fan upgrade and other items from Randy at Ragin’ Racing (thanks for all your help Randy!) It all started coming together and I'm daydreaming about driving it again.

OK, now all the engine work is done and ready to go back in I decide to quieten things down some more with dynomat and clean under the car just to make things a little nicer.

Now on to the fun stuff from UPP! Some beautiful work from these guys. Fitting it all in is a PITA but totally worth it! CK is ALWAYS there to help. He possibly hates me from all the calls and questions. (sorry CK!)

Now all that is installed why not keep the nitrous and add methanol and a closed loop boost controller? With the Devils Own 30psi controller, AIS molded 2 gallon tank for the rear cubby and GFB Electronic boost controller I was feeling good about the setup.

The boost controller makes one nice even boost curve!

Time to upgrade from the restrictive air filters to the Turbo Guards since I never drive my car in the rain or anywhere dusty or not at all really just mostly work on it I figured there were a few HP to be gained here.

At the end I decided to add a intercooler nitrous spray bar on the purge side for cooling things down after a burnout or low speed pull (seemed like a bright idea and a good way to use the purge cloud to my benefit.

Stance coilovers worked with me on a "Drag" setup and we are currently making adjustments daily. So far they are great and I couldn't be happier for the money really. (they are working with me on the piston length and settings) but the 345 Mickey Thompsons do work too. These things are beast.

There was a lot of crying in the middle and tons of other drama/parts that have been forgotten or didn't get photographed and so on over the last year with this build but the car makes great power and once I upgrade the clutch again for high boost we will see how it does on the nitrous and more octane.

Here is Pump no meth or nitrous 11.5psi VS my old 250 shot tune on racegas. You can see the turbo setup makes more power and holds torque longer than the 250shot did before. Can't wait to spray the 75 shot on top of the turbos.

Here we tried to turn the boost up but the clutch slipped and we had to let out.

A short video of 11.5lbs of boost on the dyno
http://vid48.photobucket.com/albums/...psgxgrbpq0.mp4

And the final product of all the late nights and frustration! I'm really happy and "proud" of the project. Not even close to being done sense I usually fix things until they are broken BUT it is exactly what I wanted and so much fun. Huge thanks to all the vendors that helped me select parts and get things moving the right direction. I hope to put a new ZR1 TR6060 from RKT56 in this winter and a triple plate setup to hold the torque so I can spray the nitrous and use the methanol on a higher boost setting. I would love to see 1k whp this winter and maybe roll out to TX2K!

Old 12-11-2014, 11:50 PM
Asvin04
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is beautiful.... How are you liking the stance coilovers? im thinking about getting the super sport lowering coils
Old 12-12-2014, 12:09 AM
TracyRR
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Nice man!!
Old 12-12-2014, 06:47 AM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Very nice and you should be proud. Enjoy it.
Old 12-12-2014, 07:41 AM
Slo-Poc
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Hard work paid off, that's got to be a blast to drive!
Old 12-12-2014, 08:31 AM
1MEANGS
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Awesome man... Killer car, Lotta time went into this for sure!
Old 12-12-2014, 08:50 AM
turbotuner20v
Safety Car

Received 212 Likes on 118 Posts

Nice build, strange the mantic is slipping though

Hope you get it sorted and hit that 1k goal

I assume the tires weren't spinning on the dyno? Tire slip and dyno brake smell can give the impression it's cluch when it's not. Drag radials are usually not good on the dyno, MT advises against using them actually and I've had a set of nt05r tires chewed up and slipping at just 560whp on a dyno

Last edited by turbotuner20v; 12-12-2014 at 08:56 AM.
Old 12-12-2014, 11:21 AM
sr20dime
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by Asvin04
This is beautiful.... How are you liking the stance coilovers? im thinking about getting the super sport lowering coils
The coilovers ride quality and product quality are nice. The guys at Stance are always helpful so I don't think you can go wrong.

Originally Posted by turbotuner20v
Nice build, strange the mantic is slipping though

Hope you get it sorted and hit that 1k goal

I assume the tires weren't spinning on the dyno? Tire slip and dyno brake smell can give the impression it's cluch when it's not. Drag radials are usually not good on the dyno, MT advises against using them actually and I've had a set of nt05r tires chewed up and slipping at just 560whp on a dyno
Thanks! We had some tire spin at first so we let all the air out of the tires strapped it as tight as possible then aired them back up to create as much traction as possible. I swap over to my pilot sports for the dyno. I plotted l RPM vs. wheel speed and you can see for sure the clutch is slipping. The guys over at Mantic are the best and they are working with me to figure out what's up.
Old 12-12-2014, 05:28 PM
0CK@UPPCOS
Former Vendor

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Cool if I steel some of your pics and feature your car on our FB page?
CK
Old 12-12-2014, 09:13 PM
sr20dime
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by CK@UPPCOS
Cool if I steel some of your pics and feature your car on our FB page?
CK
No problem at all! I have a ton of photos of you are looking for someting in particular im me and I'll get them to you.
Old 12-12-2014, 10:00 PM
camaro402
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice build bro and congrats on the strong numbers. Now time enjoy it.
Old 12-14-2014, 05:03 PM
sr20dime
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by TracyRR
Nice man!!
Originally Posted by realcanuk
Very nice and you should be proud. Enjoy it.
Originally Posted by Slo-Poc
Hard work paid off, that's got to be a blast to drive!
Originally Posted by 1MEANGS
Awesome man... Killer car, Lotta time went into this for sure!
Originally Posted by camaro402
Nice build bro and congrats on the strong numbers. Now time enjoy it.
Thanks everyone! It is really fun to drive. Now I'm considering changing to a 6L90e auto transmission and see how that does compared to the T56. Choices to me made! Anyone have any input on if a built auto trans will hold up?
Old 12-14-2014, 05:55 PM
Asvin04
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have to remove the coilovers to adjust them?
Old 12-14-2014, 06:03 PM
sr20dime
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by Asvin04
Do you have to remove the coilovers to adjust them?
No, just jack the car up and use the wrenches to raise/lower.
Old 01-09-2015, 02:46 PM
sr20dime
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '15
Default UPDATE! Videos and mods added

Just a quick update:

Rick @ RTK Performance built me a new ZR1 Ration TR6060 to replace my RPM Stage V T56. I haven't had a chance to finish the install BUT RKT has been a pleasure to work with. I'm excited to give this setup a spin and hit the dyno again soon!

Here are a couple of videos for anyone that wants to see the car in action!
Old 01-09-2015, 09:54 PM
TheCartel
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Man.. That's awesome, looks good to!
Old 01-15-2015, 02:20 PM
LethalTT
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Default boost controller

How do you like the GFB controller? Have you had any issues?

Get notified of new replies

To My C6 UPP Twin turbo build and car adventure :-)

Old 01-15-2015, 06:09 PM
Blackonblacksls
Drifting

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

I like that kit more and more everytime I see a thread about it. Seems like a good place for turbos on a Vette
Old 01-15-2015, 07:08 PM
sr20dime
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by 04gtogoat
How do you like the GFB controller? Have you had any issues?
The GFB Controller has been great. Killer response and features for the price.

Originally Posted by Blackonblacksls
I like that kit more and more everytime I see a thread about it. Seems like a good place for turbos on a Vette
It is a nice kit and fun to drive. I can't express in a post how awesome their customer service is. I'm on the hunt for the power "limits" of the kit and will keep everyone posted.
Old 01-16-2015, 12:03 PM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Get that trans/clutch in and turn it up to 11.

Quick Reply: My C6 UPP Twin turbo build and car adventure :-)