C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ECS Kit 1500 Novi on LS7 Boost a pump VS Fuel pump question.

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 12:13 PM
greatgonzer
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Default ECS Kit 1500 Novi on LS7 Boost a pump VS Fuel pump question.

My 2007 Corvette Z06 LS7 with Camshaft and Ported heads on 3.5lbs of boost made 625hp (wheel HP) on and ECS kit.

I love the kit, however I've only had the kit on for several months and this is the second fuel pump that just died! It was pretty expensive to replace the first pump, now my second one just bit the big one.

Does anybody know if the boost a pump kills pumps pre-maturely? I don't want to pay for a third pump for this to turn around and happen in another month.

Ideas?

Old 12-17-2014, 12:21 PM
djfury05
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In my experience, yes, boost-a-pumps increase the voltage at the pumps causing increased wear and reduced lifespan. Get a bigger pump this time.
Old 12-17-2014, 12:22 PM
greatgonzer
Racer

Any ideas on a better, larger pump? Are you implying running a higher flow pump and get rid of the boost-a-pump?
Old 12-17-2014, 12:37 PM
djfury05
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by greatgonzer
Any ideas on a better, larger pump? Are you implying running a higher flow pump and get rid of the boost-a-pump?
That's what I would do if it were me, yes. I do not have a recommendation on a new pump as I'm still new to the Corvette platform (F-body's previously) so I don't know what will fit or even the specs on the stock pump. I just know what boost-a-pumps have done to me previously and others as well on different platforms and it always reverts back to higher voltage at the pump.
Old 12-17-2014, 01:09 PM
greatgonzer
Racer

PM sent. Are you talking about this kit? http://www.eastcoastsupercharging.co...ategory_id=302
Old 12-17-2014, 02:57 PM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

BAP's have received a bad name for a while with good reason, however we really feel we have corrected the problems with our voltage booster.

We do not have issues like this here, nor I have had any reports from our distributors of failing pumps.

The reason why BAP's have been known to of had problems is because the MSD and KB units had adjustable voltage outputs that would be set too high and burn the pumps put. We had ours manufactured to only raise the voltage a little bit, not the 21V these other units would produce.

It gives the little bit extra necessary to offset the loss of fuel pressure, while not damaging the pumps.

I would be surprised if it did not properly keep up with your HP output, but not much over it. Then it would be time for our stg 1 fuel system.

I hope that helps.
Old 12-17-2014, 03:39 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Like Doug said, I would look into the setup, and why the pumps are failing. The supplied ECS system is solid.

Racetronix harness? Correct install? What is failing? Type of gas? How are you determining the pump is bad?
Old 12-17-2014, 06:22 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Rarely see a problem with a KB Bap lately. Maybe some issue with the install or the unit.
Would agree..........racetronix harness, ECS stage 1 fuel system will work out well for you.
Old 12-17-2014, 08:18 PM
Ultrasport05
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I just upgraded from a BAP to the ECS stage 1 fuel system. I did it mainly for more fuel but I didn't totally trust the BAP and I didn't want to put any extra stress on the factory pump.

If I were to do it over I'd just go with the stage 1 fuel kit from the start.
Old 12-17-2014, 09:02 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Ultrasport05
I just upgraded from a BAP to the ECS stage 1 fuel system. I did it mainly for more fuel but I didn't totally trust the BAP and I didn't want to put any extra stress on the factory pump.

If I were to do it over I'd just go with the stage 1 fuel kit from the start.
After running a BAP and Z06 pump for a few years, I also added a Stage 1 system this summer. Never had an issue but wanted to be safe at the power levels we play at.
My stage 1 system will be for sale if anyone wants a great deal.
Old 12-17-2014, 09:25 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

If you can afford the stage 1, do it. If cost is a concern, BAP works fine.
Old 12-18-2014, 12:00 AM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by realcanuk
My stage 1 system will be for sale if anyone wants a great deal.
How much?
Old 12-18-2014, 11:53 AM
greatgonzer
Racer

Originally Posted by DOUG @ ECS
BAP's have received a bad name for a while with good reason, however we really feel we have corrected the problems with our voltage booster.

We do not have issues like this here, nor I have had any reports from our distributors of failing pumps.

The reason why BAP's have been known to of had problems is because the MSD and KB units had adjustable voltage outputs that would be set too high and burn the pumps put. We had ours manufactured to only raise the voltage a little bit, not the 21V these other units would produce.

It gives the little bit extra necessary to offset the loss of fuel pressure, while not damaging the pumps.

I would be surprised if it did not properly keep up with your HP output, but not much over it. Then it would be time for our stg 1 fuel system.

I hope that helps.
Doug, I AM running your ESC Novi 1500 kit that came with your MSD BAP that is potentially killing my fuel pumps. Do you guys have an upgraded version since I bought this one from you at the end of last year? Do you Warranty out the BAP and can send me a newer version? Do you guys have any other ideas for my situation?

Last edited by greatgonzer; 12-18-2014 at 12:01 PM.
Old 12-18-2014, 01:56 PM
DOUG @ ECS

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321

Doug, I AM running your ESC Novi 1500 kit that came with your MSD BAP that is potentially killing my fuel pumps. Do you guys have an upgraded version since I bought this one from you at the end of last year? Do you Warranty out the BAP and can send me a newer version? Do you guys have any other ideas for my situation?
Ahh that makes more sense, we did have some problems with fuel pumps using the MSD's if they were turned up too high. We also had problems with the fuse holder burning up.
We have had a BAP made for us roughly a year ago that is included with the SC kit now, here is a link to our site;
http://www.eastcoastsupercharging.co...ategory_id=303
Attached Images  
Old 12-18-2014, 02:15 PM
greatgonzer
Racer

Originally Posted by DOUG @ ECS
Ahh that makes more sense, we did have some problems with fuel pumps using the MSD's if they were turned up too high. We also had problems with the fuse holder burning up.
We have had a BAP made for us roughly a year ago that is included with the SC kit now, here is a link to our site;
http://www.eastcoastsupercharging.co...ategory_id=303
Doug, I will take this offline and talk with your via messaging. Will you need me to send mine back to you and you can send me a new one? I'll pm you. Thanks
Old 12-18-2014, 02:28 PM
DOUG @ ECS

Doug, I will take this offline and talk with your via messaging. Will you need me to send mine back to you and you can send me a new one? I'll pm you. Thanks

After looking it up, we switched to our branded BAP's over two years ago, and before that we switched to Kenne Bell's for a year, so this is from a sale quit some time ago. Unfortunately we cannot replace that part for you, but we will give you a great deal on a new one.

Thanks
Old 12-18-2014, 07:15 PM
GeneSch
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

My 2007 Corvette Z06 LS7 with Camshaft and Ported heads on 3.5lbs of boost made 625hp (wheel HP) on and ECS kit.

I love the kit, however I've only had the kit on for several months and this is the second fuel pump that just died! It was pretty expensive to replace the first pump, now my second one just bit the big one.

Does anybody know if the boost a pump kills pumps pre-maturely? I don't want to pay for a third pump for this to turn around and happen in another month.

Ideas?

I want your camera

Get notified of new replies

To ECS Kit 1500 Novi on LS7 Boost a pump VS Fuel pump question.

Quick Reply: ECS Kit 1500 Novi on LS7 Boost a pump VS Fuel pump question.