C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are .080 head gaskets reliable for FI?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 01:10 AM
nuck
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Are .080 head gaskets reliable for FI?

I milled the heads on my LS7 .030. If in the future I decide on maybe a 5psi Maggie can I run the over-thick Conetic gaskets? Has anyone tried?
Old 12-21-2014, 05:28 PM
lt1z
Melting Slicks

Received 170 Likes on 143 Posts

Why would you want to ruin the quench?
Old 12-21-2014, 07:57 PM
C6 Curtis
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

You will still be fine, 5 psi isnt much.
Old 12-22-2014, 03:42 PM
nuck
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the responses. Yeah 5psi isn't much but I thought the stock compression was already way too high for boost.

Why would returning the combustion chamber to stockish volume ruin the quench? I think the factory gasket is .051 so the .080 essentially returns the stock compression right? Is the .030 milling somehow beneficial?
Old 12-23-2014, 09:50 AM
lt1z
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by nuck
Thanks for the responses. Yeah 5psi isn't much but I thought the stock compression was already way too high for boost.

Why would returning the combustion chamber to stockish volume ruin the quench? I think the factory gasket is .051 so the .080 essentially returns the stock compression right? Is the .030 milling somehow beneficial?

Because you are not doing anything to the chamber it self which has already been reduced in size by milling. Now you ate trying to cheat compression back down by thickening the gasket which raises "quench" which is piston to head clearance and not desirable.

What you want to do is sell the heads and start over with a head that allows you to to run a GM gasket.
Old 12-24-2014, 06:20 PM
nuck
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by lt1z
Because you are not doing anything to the chamber it self which has already been reduced in size by milling. Now you ate trying to cheat compression back down by thickening the gasket which raises "quench" which is piston to head clearance and not desirable.

What you want to do is sell the heads and start over with a head that allows you to to run a GM gasket.
I'm confused. Isn't the quench just the distance between the top of the piston and the flat part of the cylinder head chamber? So milling .030 and then adding a .030 thicker gasket should result in an identical combustion chamber layout to an unmilled head with stock gasket. Piston top distance to the head should be the same in both cases with the only difference being a few thousandths more gasket edge being exposed in the combustion chamber. Or am I missing something?
Old 12-24-2014, 07:55 PM
lt1z
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by nuck
I'm confused. Isn't the quench just the distance between the top of the piston and the flat part of the cylinder head chamber? So milling .030 and then adding a .030 thicker gasket should result in an identical combustion chamber layout to an unmilled head with stock gasket. Piston top distance to the head should be the same in both cases with the only difference being a few thousandths more gasket edge being exposed in the combustion chamber. Or am I missing something?
Yes you are missing something. It is not the same to add .030 to the gasket thickness and that will screw up the quench which can lead to tuning issues amongst other thing. You could port the chambers to try and lower compression but in the end the best thing would be to sell your heads and start over with un milled heads.

Last edited by lt1z; 12-24-2014 at 07:58 PM.
Old 12-24-2014, 09:40 PM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Received 1,339 Likes on 947 Posts

Run it like it is. You can add a meth system and/or change the camshaft if you're that worried about it. Either would be easier than pulling the heads off. An LS9 camshaft (or a properly specced custom grind) would probably put you right back to the same DCR that you started with. Meth would give you enough added octane that that the compression bump wouldn't be an issue. 5psi shouldn't be a problem anyway if the tune is right and you have plenty of fuel.
Old 12-24-2014, 11:25 PM
Kadorja
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I can see what lt1z is saying about hanging the shape of the combustion chamber. Removing material slightly decreases the overall size (length, width and depth) but honestly like it's been said before with boost and adding meth quench isn't as big of an issue. There's already good compression and the meth should deal with any detonation issues.
Old 12-25-2014, 03:47 PM
lt1z
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Kadorja
I can see what lt1z is saying about hanging the shape of the combustion chamber. Removing material slightly decreases the overall size (length, width and depth) but honestly like it's been said before with boost and adding meth quench isn't as big of an issue. There's already good compression and the meth should deal with any detonation issues.
I guess what I am saying is there is a right way to do things and a zip ties and duct tape way to do things.

Get notified of new replies

To Are .080 head gaskets reliable for FI?

Quick Reply: Are .080 head gaskets reliable for FI?