C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Meth Injection - Is It Worth It?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2014, 04:49 PM
CMEGONE
Drifting

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Default Meth Injection - Is It Worth It?

I'm on the fence on adding a meth kit to my supercharged c6. I've read anywhere between 20-40 rwhp gains. From what I have researched, a good kit averages about $500-$600 and another couple of hundred for install/retune. Basically we're looking at $1000 said and done. My question is to all the fellow members out there that have this done...Is the $1,000 investment worth it? Did you notice a big difference in power/torque? Reliability? Any advice/tips would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 12-22-2014, 05:35 PM
Kadorja
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It all depends if your current setup can utilize it more or not. High boost applications need higher octane fuel or meth to run advanced timing while low boost applications don't need it as much. It's also great for hot areas in dropping IATs. It comes down to what power you think you can get out of it and if you want to run it for the horsepower gains or keep it as a safety and reliability thing in case you get blow by or some crappy gas.
Old 12-22-2014, 05:55 PM
CMEGONE
Drifting

Originally Posted by Kadorja
It all depends if your current setup can utilize it more or not. High boost applications need higher octane fuel or meth to run advanced timing while low boost applications don't need it as much. It's also great for hot areas in dropping IATs. It comes down to what power you think you can get out of it and if you want to run it for the horsepower gains or keep it as a safety and reliability thing in case you get blow by or some crappy gas.
I live in the desert so it gets pretty hot over here in the summer. So, it is beneficial in that case for me. Right now I am at 10 psi. So, if I installed the meth kit, can I safely increase the boost and get more horsepower gains out of the supercharger plus whatever increase I get from the meth kit?
Old 12-22-2014, 09:28 PM
1MEANGS
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Eff yeah it is!
Old 12-22-2014, 09:36 PM
gtodoug
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have weighed this very same decision for about a year. I finally pulled the trigger and just got the car back. I have a 12:1 compression h/c setup with a A&A v3si trim head unit. was setup at 3.5psi and made 640whp on 3.5 psi on a mustang dyno. We changed the pulley and got another 2.5psi for a total of 6 psi on meth. The pickup between boost and meth was 90whp and 80wtq on a mustang dyno.

Totally different car and sad I waited so long to do it.
Old 12-22-2014, 10:39 PM
Ultrasport05
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I just installed an ecs stage 1 fuel system and an Alky control meth kit. I went from 710rwhp that I made on a built LS3 with an ecs kit and a BAP running 12psi to 780rwhp at 14/15psi. Didn't change anything else hardware wise. Just a retune to optimize the meth. I'd say it's worth it.

I live in Florida so meth was a must for me. I'd say it's top three best mods you can do to a boosted LS motor. I have a nice warm and fuzzy knowing my car has more than enough fuel to keep it happy.
Old 12-22-2014, 10:44 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I don't think I've ever seen anyone say "I really wish I hadn't gotten that meth kit..." lol

It is one of the next purchases I will make. Def. worth it. There isn't anything else you can do for that amount of money that will add as much HP and/or safety factor (in my opinion)
Old 12-23-2014, 04:07 AM
Kadorja
Drifting

Think of it as an octane boost. Meth alone with no tuning or IAT sensor relocation will cool the IATs but the car won't see that so it really just adds a safety net in case something goes wrong. Once you start spraying you are increasing the fuel octane progressively with boost therefore you can run better timing or more overall boost that you could not run with lower standard octane fuel. Back to the IAT topic you need to relocate your IAT sensor from the MAF to a standalone pigtail unit between the meth injection and the MAF. You don't want to spray meth through the MAF but you need IATs to keep your car from saying the air is too hot and pulling timing.

Long story short you use it to avoid knock/detonation and hot IATs so your car won't pull timing or possibly break something. Or you can simply leave it in not tuned as a safety net which some do.
Old 12-23-2014, 05:11 AM
IMXCITD
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 307 Likes on 290 Posts

I look at it as a safeguard more than a power adder. To me...it is cheap insurance and a "no brainer". That being said...if you are a 400/500 hp vette.......then you prob don't need it. If you are getting into 6xx on up....then I think its a must have for your platform. Couple examples...I have two C5 TT cars. Both on stock bottom end...one is 613 to the wheels and the other is 736 to the wheels...stock bottom end! Could they go "kabooooom" tomorrow.....sure! But they haven't for years!
Old 12-23-2014, 06:56 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

meth and e85 are great choices to allow a bit more boost and timing or keep the tune you have cooled down

I want to try direct meth injection to keep the distribution more even at the higher boost levels and tune the cyl individually for it

I'm getting an 8 channel EGT so I can even them out and hopefully have a safer tune that will still make plenty of power

so think safer tune that will still meet your power goals

that's the benefit of meth

keeps the pistons nice and clean too
Old 12-23-2014, 11:37 AM
Snowwolfe
Le Mans Master

Received 879 Likes on 464 Posts

Would there be any reason to spend the cash for a meth system if you are happy just running a "stock" A&A system?
Old 12-23-2014, 03:53 PM
CMEGONE
Drifting

Thanks for all your responses. I am currently at 540 rwhp with the A&A kit at 10 psi. I also live in the desert where it gets to be over 100 degrees every day in the summer. It sounds like it's a good insurance to have in regards to keeping it cooler. But I am still not clear on whether you can increase boost with the meth and pick up more power. Or do you just add the meth, keep the boost the same and be happy with the 30-40 hp gain and cooling insurance?
Old 12-23-2014, 04:21 PM
Ultrasport05
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CMEGONE
Thanks for all your responses. I am currently at 540 rwhp with the A&A kit at 10 psi. I also live in the desert where it gets to be over 100 degrees every day in the summer. It sounds like it's a good insurance to have in regards to keeping it cooler. But I am still not clear on whether you can increase boost with the meth and pick up more power. Or do you just add the meth, keep the boost the same and be happy with the 30-40 hp gain and cooling insurance?
You can increase boost when adding meth injection. When increasing boost you need more octane to keep the motor happy. You'll have more octane if you add meth to support higher boost levels.
Old 12-23-2014, 07:11 PM
Kadorja
Drifting

Originally Posted by Ultrasport05
You can increase boost when adding meth injection. When increasing boost you need more octane to keep the motor happy. You'll have more octane if you add meth to support higher boost levels.
He can also run advanced timing for more power as well. Primarily for higher boost levels but timing is also an important part especially with a hot area like Arizona.
Old 12-25-2014, 11:00 AM
echocharlie
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh, it's more than worth it! Look at a post on 21 December 2014 labled (VR) Vengeance RacingC6-LS/VR/ECS/ARH/Alky Control posted by David at Vengeance Racing. Check out the stats. This is my vechicle. When I took it to Vengeance a couple of weeks ago, I was looking for a 25-30 via putting a set of heads on the car. I was informed by Mike that "Man, I can get you at LEAST 40 hp with meth..." Needless to say, the car picked up 60 hp and over 40 lbs of torgue. Through the stock A6 trans/converter. So yes, in MHO, it's a good upgrade.

Get notified of new replies

To Meth Injection - Is It Worth It?

Quick Reply: Meth Injection - Is It Worth It?