C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A&A or ECS?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2015, 02:33 PM
Chokeu
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default A&A or ECS?

Ok guys, I got two options:
1. I found a local tuner about 90min. away from me (I live in NH and he's down in MA) that sells/installs A&A superchargers and specializes in tuning LS cars. A&A kit installed and tuned $6,999.
2. Doug at ECS could sell me his kit for a really good price and send me a starter tune to get me up and running. He even offered me the opportunity to get my car final tuned when he's on his way to VT to go on his weekend retreats. I would have to find a competent shop to do the ECS kit install in my area though. ECS kit $4,995 w/starter tune and final tune. Install by local shop....????
In the end the price would be roughly the same for whatever kit I decide to go with because I figure a shop will probably charge close to $2000 for the ECS install anyways.
My question is what would you go with? I have read articles and watched several vids of ECS cars tearing up the track and they can back their talk. I know there are a lot of guys here with A&A kits with similar results. I know the ECS kit uses a Novi 1500 and the A&A a Vortech. I don't know which one is better per say. Please share your thoughts and if possible post what Numbers your getting and or RWHP/TQ with either of those kits.

Here is what I have to work with right now:
2005 C6 Roadster
A4 trans.
3.15 optional rear end gears
Everything is completely stock as of right now.
B&B Bullet Axle Back Exhaust - Ready to get installed. Waiting for the weather to break.
Lingenfelter CAI - Ready to get installed. This will be removed once I buy the S/C.
1 7/8" ARH Headers and Catted X-Pipe - Future Upgrade.
ECS Meth Injection Kit - Future Upgrade.
I know it will have to be retuned after each future upgrade.

Let's see what your numbers are like, likes, dislikes, advantages, disadvantages............. Thanks in advance!!!!
Old 02-07-2015, 02:40 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

ECS kit. I've had both.

Shouldn't be more than $600-700 for install. Takes ~8-10 hours.
Old 02-07-2015, 02:43 PM
Chokeu
Pro

Any specific reason you say ECS over the A&A?
Old 02-07-2015, 03:19 PM
Blue by U
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I have an A&A, both are good. That being said, I would go with ECS if I did it over. I like their belt tensioner set up better. Belt changes on AA are time consuming.
Old 02-07-2015, 03:22 PM
VetteAwe
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They are both great kits. However, I can speak to reliability and performance of my A & A V-2 si kit. I am coming up on 100,000 total miles and 75,000 supercharged miles. Kit was installed and tuned at A & A in 2009. Other than some minor tuning issues that were resolved several years ago, no other problems and car runs very strong as my daily driver. I have only changed the belt one time and replaced a wobbling harmonic balancer two years ago. I would highly recommend the A & A kit based on my own experience.
Old 02-07-2015, 03:27 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

You'll get opinions from both sides

I'd say ECS (and did)

I doubt you'll hate your decision if you go with A&A.

edit: good point on bringing up the wobbly balancer. It would very much be worth it to go ahead and upgrade balancers while the crank bolt is off when pinning the crank. Trick flow has one for < $200 if you want to go the cheaper route. ATI and Innovators West obviously have very nice (but more expensive) options as well.

I would strongly recommend changing it during the SC install. The stock ones come apart even without a SC. Mine lasted literally about 5 minutes with a supercharger on it, then the balancer came apart, then I had to take it all back apart to replace the balancer that I should have replaced to begin with.

Last edited by schpenxel; 02-07-2015 at 04:04 PM.
Old 02-07-2015, 03:57 PM
1MEANGS
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

ECS kit
Old 02-07-2015, 04:14 PM
lt1z
Melting Slicks

Received 170 Likes on 143 Posts

They are both great kits and you will be happy with either one for what you are doing IMO.
Old 02-07-2015, 04:50 PM
Chokeu
Pro

Originally Posted by schpenxel
You'll get opinions from both sides

I'd say ECS (and did)

I doubt you'll hate your decision if you go with A&A.

edit: good point on bringing up the wobbly balancer. It would very much be worth it to go ahead and upgrade balancers while the crank bolt is off when pinning the crank. Trick flow has one for < $200 if you want to go the cheaper route. ATI and Innovators West obviously have very nice (but more expensive) options as well.

I would strongly recommend changing it during the SC install. The stock ones come apart even without a SC. Mine lasted literally about 5 minutes with a supercharger on it, then the balancer came apart, then I had to take it all back apart to replace the balancer that I should have replaced to begin with.
I take it the ECS kit does not include a new harmonic balancer right? If I upgrade the Harm. Balancer right when the kit goes on, does it matter if it's under-driven or not? Also, Both kits have a 6-rib belt correct?

Last edited by Chokeu; 02-07-2015 at 05:03 PM.
Old 02-07-2015, 05:09 PM
winters97gt
Le Mans Master

Received 77 Likes on 65 Posts

Neither include a balancer. You use the stock for each kit or can buy an aftermarket likes Innovators West. Don't run an under drive crank pulley. You want belt wrap.
Old 02-07-2015, 05:18 PM
Chokeu
Pro

Originally Posted by winters97gt
Neither include a balancer. You use the stock for each kit or can buy an aftermarket likes Innovators West. Don't run an under drive crank pulley. You want belt wrap.
Cool, thanks for the advice! So a standard size pulley will work best?
Old 02-07-2015, 05:44 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by Chokeu
Cool, thanks for the advice! So a standard size pulley will work best?
I would recommend this one:

TFS-19005
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TFS-19005

There is a Summit Racing branded one that is the exact same piece except not black (silver), for the same price, if you'd prefer that look

ATI makes a really nice one as well but it is more like $500 if I remember correctly

With a supercharger you want to use either the stock size or larger.. larger ones generally being used on high HP builds where you want to spin the supercharger faster (and need all the contact area you can get for the belt to prevent it from slipping..)

In your case I would just get this < $200 one and call it good.

Last edited by schpenxel; 02-07-2015 at 05:47 PM.
Old 02-07-2015, 05:59 PM
Chokeu
Pro

Originally Posted by schpenxel
I would recommend this one:

TFS-19005
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TFS-19005

There is a Summit Racing branded one that is the exact same piece except not black (silver), for the same price, if you'd prefer that look

ATI makes a really nice one as well but it is more like $500 if I remember correctly

With a supercharger you want to use either the stock size or larger.. larger ones generally being used on high HP builds where you want to spin the supercharger faster (and need all the contact area you can get for the belt to prevent it from slipping..)

In your case I would just get this < $200 one and call it good.

Thanks for the link!!! Appreciate it!
Old 02-07-2015, 06:12 PM
Chokeu
Pro

Looks like it's going to be the ECS kit with a Trick Flow Specialties Balancer.
Now what do your numbers look like?
RWHP/TQ and 1/4 times with your auto or manual ECS equipped car?
I'm Curious to see what to expect....
Old 02-07-2015, 06:37 PM
winters97gt
Le Mans Master

Received 77 Likes on 65 Posts

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...challenge.html
Old 02-07-2015, 06:39 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Looks like it's going to be the ECS kit with a Trick Flow Specialties Balancer.
Can't answer that one, yet, as I am one of the crazy ones that wanted to do the tuning myself.. and haven't gotten to the point of being ready to put it on the dyno yet.
Old 02-07-2015, 07:33 PM
77vette05
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I would also run a transmission cooler. Something like this one http://www.bmracing.com/products/702...&md=&smd=&eng=. The s/c makes alot of heat on those A4's. I blew mine up even with a cooler. I think the shop your talking about is slowhawk? I would highly recommend slowhawk to tune your car. Have you asked slowhawk to do the install of ECS? I wouldn't bring my car to anyone else around here.

Get notified of new replies

To A&A or ECS?

Old 02-07-2015, 07:57 PM
Chokeu
Pro

Originally Posted by 77vette05
I would also run a transmission cooler. Something like this one http://www.bmracing.com/products/702...&md=&smd=&eng=. The s/c makes alot of heat on those A4's. I blew mine up even with a cooler. I think the shop your talking about is slowhawk? I would highly recommend slowhawk to tune your car. Have you asked slowhawk to do the install of ECS? I wouldn't bring my car to anyone else around here.
You know, I had a 1993 Vette with a Vortech like 20 yrs ago and that had a B&M tranny cooler on my 700R4 and it never died. I will definately add that to my list as well. Cheap insurance.
Yes, the shop I was talking about was Slohawk. Not really close to me but there is slim pickings up here in Cowhampshire but a lot closer than NY or NJ. I'm gonna shoot him an email right now to get a price on a ECS kit and install/tune. Thanks!!
Old 02-07-2015, 07:57 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Any specific reason you say ECS over the A&A?
Easier pulley changes
Better tensioner
Better BOV
Better Piping
Better FMIC
Better base blower
Steel idlers
Setup for 8 rib out of the box
Restictor Plate
and the list could go on and on.
Old 02-07-2015, 08:40 PM
blown81bu