C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cats or no cats? That is the question.

Old 03-27-2015, 09:13 AM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,193 Likes on 1,052 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by snowwolfe
Why does the HP increase cause the cats to go bad?
More power = more heat = melted cats
Old 03-27-2015, 07:08 PM
MikeJr72
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by schpenxel
What about windows down / going down the interstate? Any smell?

I don't expect there to be zero smell at idle while sitting still with the windows down or anything.. just when going down the interstate it seems no matter what I did, it smelled so bad it literally was making me sick, which can't be normal. No way anyone puts up with that for long periods of time or they would literally be sick after an hour or two of driving.

I noticed one nut missing on the joint connecting the [gutted] catalytic converter to H pipe, so based on that I'm guessing that's where the leak is coming from. I'll probably put new gaskets / nuts on this weekend and tighten everything down really well and see what I get. Hopefully that makes it bearable!
no fumes at all while cruising...sounds like you had a leak that was forcing fumes into the car. I only notice it if I am at a stop/idle.
Old 03-27-2015, 09:14 PM
J504
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm running catless and dont notice the exhaust smell unless i have the windows down and stopped. However I do have a vented catch can from moroso that sits right infront of the cabin air inlet so I get some fumes when I get on it. Keeping the A/C on recirculate helps a lot, but its not good for the A/C system.
Old 03-27-2015, 09:59 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Default Cats or no cats? That is the question.

Originally Posted by MikeJr72
no fumes at all while cruising...sounds like you had a leak that was forcing fumes into the car. I only notice it if I am at a stop/idle.
Yeah I think so too.. I found a nut missing on one connection so I bet that's it. It didn't start off with that smell so I bet as that nut came off it got worse and worse

Originally Posted by J504
I'm running catless and dont notice the exhaust smell unless i have the windows down and stopped. However I do have a vented catch can from moroso that sits right infront of the cabin air inlet so I get some fumes when I get on it. Keeping the A/C on recirculate helps a lot, but its not good for the A/C system.
Yeah that I could handle.. Fumes while going down the interstate is a bit much
Old 03-28-2015, 10:59 AM
7SECONDS
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I only smell the fumes at the traffic light with the windows down. I am going Green! Global Warming my ***!
Old 03-28-2015, 11:01 AM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,250 Likes on 894 Posts

Originally Posted by 7SECONDS
I only smell the fumes at the traffic light with the windows down. I am going Green! Global Warming my ***!
When I had the offroad I felt extremely bad for anyone directly behind me!
Old 03-28-2015, 12:09 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Default Cats or no cats? That is the question.

I wonder if running the cats further back would help in keeping them alive
Old 03-29-2015, 09:26 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Fixed exhaust leak. Nut was missing on one of the flanges where the cats meet the H pipe. Gaping hole just after gutted cats probably wasn't helping the in cabin smell

Old 03-29-2015, 09:33 PM
rio95
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

Fixed exhaust leak. Nut was missing on one of the flanges where the cats meet the H pipe. Gaping hole just after gutted cats probably wasn't helping the in cabin smell

Let us know if that fixed the smell. Did you notice a change in sound?
Old 03-29-2015, 09:41 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by rio95
Let us know if that fixed the smell. Did you notice a change in sound?
Yep, it was quieter afterwards.. and sounded a little different. Deeper I would say
Old 03-30-2015, 09:11 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

No smell when going down the interstate now. Noticed some when sitting still a while, but I think that's probably normal.
Old 03-31-2015, 03:23 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Anyone ever used cats from HJS? They supposedly have some that will survive high HP applications, up to 400HP per cat. They aren't cheap though. Like $750 a piece not cheap. They also aren't small.. over 5" in diameter for the higher HP ones, so I'm not sure they'd even fit
Old 03-31-2015, 04:36 PM
0Magna_Flow
Former Vendor

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

We always recommend that you keep your cats. Adding a supercharger and water/methanol injection shouldn't affect your catalytic converters unless your tune is off. If it's too lean, your EGT's will spike and you'll melt the substrate in the cat. Too rich and unburned fuel can ruin the cat. Typically modern cars run better with a cat, plus that catless raw fuel smell is no fun. Also, cats shouldn't be looked at as being barriers to making power. Look at the Hellcat for example. That's a factory car, legal in 50 states, with a warranty and cats and it makes a conservative 707hp. Just some food for thought!
Old 03-31-2015, 04:38 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by Magna_Flow
We always recommend that you keep your cats. Adding a supercharger and water/methanol injection shouldn't affect your catalytic converters unless your tune is off. If it's too lean, your EGT's will spike and you'll melt the substrate in the cat. Too rich and unburned fuel can ruin the cat. Typically modern cars run better with a cat, plus that catless raw fuel smell is no fun. Also, cats shouldn't be looked at as being barriers to making power. Look at the Hellcat for example. That's a factory car, legal in 50 states, with a warranty and cats and it makes a conservative 707hp. Just some food for thought!
Most of us run pretty rich on stock bottom ends (in PE only obviously.. running @ stoich the rest of the time). I would hope cats could survive relatively short bursts of extra fuel but I'm no expert. It sounds like many around here have melted cats, something I'd rather not experience

I'm still tweaking to try to reduce the smell, but may give cats another try at some point. It is nothing when going down the road, but it's still a bit annoying when I stop, and when I'm in reverse.. barf

Is there a particular type I should be looking for. i.e., metal vs. ceramic, a certain density, etc.?
Old 04-06-2015, 01:34 PM
FormulaLS1
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So whats the verdict on the highflow Kooks cats that comes with their header setup?

I will be doing the ECS1500/meth setup in two weeks trying to decide if I should just gut them before bringing it to ECS.
Old 04-06-2015, 01:45 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by FormulaLS1
So whats the verdict on the highflow Kooks cats that comes with their header setup?

I will be doing the ECS1500/meth setup in two weeks trying to decide if I should just gut them before bringing it to ECS.
I've read every answer you can imagine on this. What RWHP are you going for? I know everyone keeps saying gut them, but I would try to keep cats if you can. I would go with whatever ECS recommends. The smell isn't unbearable, but I'd still much rather avoid it altogether if possible.

I read something the other day that said the mistake a lot of people make is going too rich + too little timing. The problem with that is the richer you go the slower the flame travels.. then add on top of that delaying ignition, and you end up with a LOT of heat going out the exhaust and right to the cats. There is an AFR timing correction table helps with this, but most people zero it out.

Anyways. ECS has as much experience as anyone with that type of setup, so I'd call them and ask them. My guess is it depends heavily on how high you're wanting to go HP wise and how you drive the car though. Making a few "spirited" runs on the street every now and then is a lot different than full on top speed passes on a runway.
Old 04-06-2015, 01:51 PM
FormulaLS1
Instructor

I've read every answer you can imagine on this. What RWHP are you going for? I know everyone keeps saying gut them, but I would try to keep cats if you can. I would go with whatever ECS recommends. The smell isn't unbearable, but I'd still much rather avoid it altogether if possible.

I read something the other day that said the mistake a lot of people make is going too rich + too little timing. The problem with that is the richer you go the slower the flame travels.. then add on top of that delaying ignition, and you end up with a LOT of heat going out the exhaust and right to the cats. There is an AFR timing correction table helps with this, but most people zero it out.

Anyways. ECS has as much experience as anyone with that type of setup, so I'd call them and ask them. My guess is it depends heavily on how high you're wanting to go HP wise and how you drive the car though. Making a few "spirited" runs on the street every now and then is a lot different than full on top speed passes on a runway.
Whatever it makes on 11-12psi with a M6 transmission

I have owned F-bodies with huge cams/no cats before im not worried about the smell. The idea of having a 650-700rwhp car full emissions legal sounded like a good time. However my concern is the cats blow out somewhere down the line and need to get it retuned they're not exactly around the corner.

I'm going to ask them about it when I go down there.

Get notified of new replies

To Cats or no cats? That is the question.

Old 04-06-2015, 01:53 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Whatever it makes on 11-12psi with a M6 transmission

I have owned F-bodies with huge cams/no cats before im not worried about the smell. The idea of having a 650-700rwhp car full emissions legal sounded like a good time. However my concern is the cats blow out somewhere down the line and need to get it retuned they're not exactly around the corner.

I'm going to ask them about it when I go down there.
Gotcha..yeah, that would be nice, but not sure it's going to happen on 11-12psi. That's a pretty healthy amount of boost for sure

They'll know though.. one thing I read said the stock ceramic substrate cats tend to handle heat better than the metal substrate ones that are common with aftermarket headers, but who knows. It is the internet, after all
Old 04-06-2015, 01:56 PM
FormulaLS1
Instructor

Gotcha..yeah, that would be nice, but not sure it's going to happen on 11-12psi. That's a pretty healthy amount of boost for sure

They'll know though.. one thing I read said the stock ceramic substrate cats tend to handle heat better than the metal substrate ones that are common with aftermarket headers, but who knows. It is the internet, after all
If you want a definitive answer on this forum the trick is to ask about the best wax, exhaust tip polish, or which leather jacket to buy.
Old 04-06-2015, 02:04 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

If you want a definitive answer on this forum the trick is to ask about the best wax, exhaust tip polish, or which leather jacket to buy.
haha, true... People can hate on ls1tech all they want, those guys build some fast cars on the cheap.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cats or no cats? That is the question.