C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ECS with stock exhaust manifolds

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 06:57 AM
nightster
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default ECS with stock exhaust manifolds

Due to my fiance and I trying to pay for a wedding, my car funds aren't what they used to be. So I'm selling some of my other toys to help finance my car build. I intially thought about going with full exhaust, cai, custom cam, and tune. Then I started looking at superchargers. Honestly that seems to be the way to go if the vehicle is a DD and you want to acheive 550+rwhp. So the question I pose to y'all is this, how well would an ECS kit work with the factory exhaust manifolds? I understand there will be power left on the table, but seems like that's the best bang for my buck. Which my fiance has a close eye on, wedding stuff . Car is an 09 a6 with a cai and stainless works cat back.
Old 03-02-2015, 07:07 AM
winters97gt
Le Mans Master

Received 77 Likes on 65 Posts

You're getting married to a guy?

550 and he should be happy. Above that, I'd lose the cats.
Old 03-02-2015, 07:15 AM
nightster
Instructor

Originally Posted by winters97gt
You're getting married to a guy?

550 and he should be happy. Above that, I'd lose the cats.
No, why would you assume so?
Old 03-02-2015, 07:56 AM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I'm running the stock exhaust with the ECS SC kit. The biggest real concern is the cats. Check out my thread about cats vs no cats.

I'm probably going to gut my stock ones and go with it for a while. Headers are over rated for us low hp guys
Old 03-02-2015, 07:59 AM
nightster
Instructor

Originally Posted by schpenxel
I'm running the stock exhaust with the ECS SC kit. The biggest real concern is the cats. Check out my thread about cats vs no cats.

I'm probably going to gut my stock ones and go with it for a while. Headers are over rated for us low hp guys
I was thinking about how to remove the cats, gutting them seems to be the easiest way. Well I figure headers and a meth kit will give me something to look forward too.
Old 03-02-2015, 09:08 AM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by nightster
I was thinking about how to remove the cats, gutting them seems to be the easiest way. Well I figure headers and a meth kit will give me something to look forward too.
Yeah you may really be fine at 550 with cats.. I can't really say for sure. At worst though you should be fine with gutted stock cats/manifolds. That's what I'm doing to decide whether I can live with the smell of not having cats anymore.. texas speed is supposed to have some of their headers back in stock late this month, so I may buy some of those then.

I doubt there's much need for super high end manifolds for the hp levels you (and me) are at.
Old 03-02-2015, 09:10 AM
1MEANGS
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Yeah you may really be fine at 550 with cats.. I can't really say for sure. At worst though you should be fine with gutted stock cats/manifolds. That's what I'm doing to decide whether I can live with the smell of not having cats anymore.. texas speed is supposed to have some of their headers back in stock late this month, so I may buy some of those then.

I doubt there's much need for super high end manifolds for the hp levels you (and me) are at.
Why don't you buy the magnaflow cat delete pipes? They worked great for me... Op I made 575 rwhp 555 rwtq with ECS kit, cat delete pipe, and an b&b exhaust... Eventually I added long tubes and meth shortly after but that set up worked great and ran strong! Cat delete pipes I ordered off of hottexhaust and got a solid deal... When funds become better you can add long tubes but those work great in meantime!
Old 03-02-2015, 09:11 AM
nightster
Instructor

I'll probably gut mine, I like the noise.
Old 03-02-2015, 09:13 AM
nightster
Instructor

Originally Posted by 1MEANGS
Why don't you buy the magnaflow cat delete pipes? They worked great for me... Op I made 575 rwhp 555 rwtq with ECS kit, cat delete pipe, and an b&b exhaust... Eventually I added long tubes and meth shortly after but that set up worked great and ran strong! Cat delete pipes I ordered off of hottexhaust and got a solid deal
I looked at them, for some reason my cheap *** mind can't justify $300+ for two pieces of pipe. I'll eventually get headers and an x pipe. Impressive numbers, hopefully my numbers will be close to those.

Edit: The ones I looked at on tsp were over $300. Ill go check that site you mentioned...
Old 03-02-2015, 09:20 AM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by 1MEANGS
Why don't you buy the magnaflow cat delete pipes? They worked great for me... Op I made 575 rwhp 555 rwtq with ECS kit, cat delete pipe, and an b&b exhaust... Eventually I added long tubes and meth shortly after but that set up worked great and ran strong! Cat delete pipes I ordered off of hottexhaust and got a solid deal... When funds become better you can add long tubes but those work great in meantime!
How much are they? Funds aren't really the problem.. I'm just cheap

Originally Posted by nightster
I looked at them, for some reason my cheap *** mind can't justify $300+ for two pieces of pipe. I'll eventually get headers and an x pipe. Impressive numbers, hopefully my numbers will be close to those.

Edit: The ones I looked at on tsp were over $300. Ill go check that site you mentioned...
Let us know what you find.. yeah, I couldn't stomach $300 for two pieces of pipe. I'm pretty sure I could stick used stock cats back on if I had to for less than that

Get notified of new replies

To ECS with stock exhaust manifolds

Quick Reply: ECS with stock exhaust manifolds