C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problems finding 3rd gear during tire spin

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2015, 03:42 PM
Icevettez06
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I say clutch issue. I have this issue sometimes or only under extreme condition and on high RPM ether going from 1-2 or 2-3. Then I lower me shift point be 200 RPM or so and or give me bit more time to shift. Higher RPM seams to put more stress on the clutch.
Old 03-23-2015, 04:09 PM
Seadawg
Safety Car

Received 155 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by schpenxel
I tried the washers on the detent spring thing today and have to say it made a huge difference. I am very surprised and quite happy. It's not nearly as notchy now
I may try this on mine for a quick fix try.....
Old 03-23-2015, 04:16 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,193 Likes on 1,052 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by Seadawg
I may try this on mine for a quick fix try.....
I still can't believe it really did anything.. but it did. Can't hurt.

Dorman 65277 is what you're looking for
Old 03-23-2015, 04:27 PM
neverstop
Melting Slicks

Received 108 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by schpenxel
I still can't believe it really did anything.. but it did. Can't hurt.

Dorman 65277 is what you're looking for

I've done this on several T56 transmissions over the year and one washer always made a surprising differnce. My RPM trans shifts like butter so no need but it's almost free and easy to undo so I'd say try this for sure if you haven't.
Old 03-29-2015, 12:53 AM
george536
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Not sure if i missed it somewhere but have you tried a tick master cyl?
Old 03-29-2015, 10:48 AM
winker2112
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Not sure if anyone mentioned it yet, but what engine/trans mounts do you have? Stock? What shape are they in? I experienced something similar in a friends car that I was working on and it turned out with the extra power the mounts were flexing enough to create certain driveline angles that would make it tricky to find 3rd gear during wheel spin. But he was able to drive around it by adjusting the placement of his hand on the shifter. As weird as that sounds. Then we installed Hinson mounts and he said it was night and day difference. Not sure if its the same issue but that was one of the experiences I had.
Old 03-29-2015, 03:52 PM
Streetk14
Melting Slicks

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by george536
Not sure if i missed it somewhere but have you tried a tick master cyl?
Nope.... not really interested in the extra pedal effort I've heard they produce. Really haven't had any clutch issues with either of my C6s. I do keep the fluid very clean though. Had a slight pedal-drop issue under hard acceleration with my LS9 clutch (design of the pressure plate I believe), and this shifting thing I really don't believe to be a clutch thing.

Originally Posted by winker2112
Not sure if anyone mentioned it yet, but what engine/trans mounts do you have? Stock? What shape are they in? I experienced something similar in a friends car that I was working on and it turned out with the extra power the mounts were flexing enough to create certain driveline angles that would make it tricky to find 3rd gear during wheel spin. But he was able to drive around it by adjusting the placement of his hand on the shifter. As weird as that sounds. Then we installed Hinson mounts and he said it was night and day difference. Not sure if its the same issue but that was one of the experiences I had.
This is exactly what I think is going on. It kind of happened again yesterday on a 2-3 short shift with tire spin present, and I'm 99.9% convinced it has nothing to do with the clutch. Last time it actually happened, I determined it was in-between gates -- not actually being blocked by something like clutch release. Yesterday, it hung up for a split second before slipping into gear.

I noticed the same thing about changing my shift technique to avoid it. Pretty hard to break old habits when they work well in just about any other shifting situation, but it does seem avoidable if I'm conscious about it.

Oh, and the car has stock mounts in it. It's a 2013 with only 4k on the clock, so shouldn't be any issues with wear. The thing does make a lot of midrange torque though, and I think that's the cause of it. I'm not sure if it's enough of an issue to switch over to poly mounts. While probably a good idea, I'm worried it would cause extra NVH that I wouldn't like. Guess it's something I should look into.

Quick Reply: Problems finding 3rd gear during tire spin