C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Centri vs twin screw

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 11:43 AM
Mauztrapls3
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Centri vs twin screw

What are your opinions. Fairly new here I just bought a cam kit from EG and a yank pas3400 stall and looking to get boosted soon just don't know what would be better for street use. I'll hit the track but not much as its a couple hours away and no trailer I have a 2010 ls3 A6 looking to be about 600rwhp. Any insight would help thanks!
Old 03-23-2015, 12:20 PM
breecher_7
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mauztrapls3
What are your opinions. Fairly new here I just bought a cam kit from EG and a yank pas3400 stall and looking to get boosted soon just don't know what would be better for street use. I'll hit the track but not much as its a couple hours away and no trailer I have a 2010 ls3 A6 looking to be about 600rwhp. Any insight would help thanks!
Centri...
You will meet your power goals with ease and have room to grow in the future if you decide you need more power.

A&A or ECS is the way to go, cannot go wrong with either.
Old 03-25-2015, 02:42 AM
tunaman
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 110 Likes on 78 Posts

Centri's rock... Don't need the torque at the bottom end in a Vette, and they pull all the way to the top instead of falling off.

Also, since they don't come on as early the car behaves like a stocker when the power isn't applied, and gas mileage is unaffected.
Old 03-25-2015, 05:06 AM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Received 1,336 Likes on 945 Posts

Originally Posted by tunaman
Centri's rock... Don't need the torque at the bottom end in a Vette, and they pull all the way to the top instead of falling off.

Also, since they don't come on as early the car behaves like a stocker when the power isn't applied, and gas mileage is unaffected.
Yep, someone who doesn't have the bottom end pull will always tell you that you don't need it. I've taken several folks for spirited rides and asked them to identify the point where my lowly Heartbeat blower quits pulling. None could....because they don't quit pulling. That "dies on the top end" crap is a throw back from the old Maggie MP112 days. If you read it on the 'net, it has to be true....right?

My lowly p/d blower is never more than a toe tap away from having full boost. It's there, but that doesn't mean you have to use it. The blower takes less power to turn than your alternator when it's not in boost. A cruise at 4000 rpm will show vacuum, not boost. The blower is just along for the ride if it's not needed. At cruise, your Vette won't even know it's there aside for a barely perceptible whirring sound.
Old 03-25-2015, 07:30 AM
C U IN REARVEIW
Le Mans Master

Received 109 Likes on 100 Posts

Very impressed with the heartbeat blower from what I've seen.
Old 03-25-2015, 11:04 AM
tunaman
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 110 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by old motorhead
If you read it on the 'net, it has to be true....right?
Yeah... That's it. I guess the Dyno graphs are faked, and if your mileage for normal driving wasn't adversely impacted then bully for you.

OP - as you will find, both camps have fierce supporters. Best approach may be to find the shop and tuner, presuming that you aren't wrenching on your own, and talk with them to see what they favor and recommend... That way you end up with something that they are familiar and proficient with, and will support. Focus on finding a reputable shop... That is key.
Old 03-25-2015, 11:31 AM
adidasUNT8
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

yeah... That's it. I guess the dyno graphs are faked, and if your mileage for normal driving wasn't adversely impacted then bully for you.

Op - as you will find, both camps have fierce supporters. Best approach may be to find the shop and tuner, presuming that you aren't wrenching on your own, and talk with them to see what they favor and recommend... That way you end up with something that they are familiar and proficient with, and will support. Focus on finding a reputable shop... That is key.
+1...
Old 03-25-2015, 12:32 PM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Yeah... That's it. I guess the Dyno graphs are faked, and if your mileage for normal driving wasn't adversely impacted then bully for you.

OP - as you will find, both camps have fierce supporters. Best approach may be to find the shop and tuner, presuming that you aren't wrenching on your own, and talk with them to see what they favor and recommend... That way you end up with something that they are familiar and proficient with, and will support. Focus on finding a reputable shop... That is key.
I haven't seen a Heartbeat dyno curve that dies at the top. Maybe you have and can reference it? The power curve isn't as steep because the power is higher in the lower rpm ranges vs most centri's. That's comparing similar peak hp rigs. If the OP knows he wants 700+ rwhp, he needs to skip the TVS blowers and go centri. If he's good with 700 and under, a Heartbeat is a very good choice.

I'd urge the OP to catch a ride, or better yet, drive both types before making a commitment. Things like power delivery and sound are very different between the two.
Old 03-25-2015, 03:31 PM
SlayerRX8
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 49 Posts

If you're not looking for any more than 600whp, either one is a good option. If you value instant boost, twin screw is your best bet. If you want better traction and/or more than 600whp, then centri is the way to go.
Old 03-25-2015, 04:22 PM
Mauztrapls3
Advanced

Originally Posted by SlayerRX8
If you're not looking for any more than 600whp, either one is a good option. If you value instant boost, twin screw is your best bet. If you want better traction and/or more than 600whp, then centri is the way to go.

Yea I hook decently now on the street can stall to about 1500 and dead hook on a decent road. I hade a kenne bell lightning and the instant boost and whine was great! I do like either application but as stated above ide have to get in a centri blown vette and see if it's something of my taste. Now I want to be around 600 due to having a stock A6 but eventually start building as a I brake and up the HP. Most likely will go with a centri but there are so many options and good reviews on all kits hard to choose one. I'm leaning more towards a novi 1500
Old 03-25-2015, 04:41 PM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Mauztrapls3
Yea I hook decently now on the street can stall to about 1500 and dead hook on a decent road. I hade a kenne bell lightning and the instant boost and whine was great! I do like either application but as stated above ide have to get in a centri blown vette and see if it's something of my taste. Now I want to be around 600 due to having a stock A6 but eventually start building as a I brake and up the HP. Most likely will go with a centri but there are so many options and good reviews on all kits hard to choose one. I'm leaning more towards a novi 1500
If you know your goals are that high, an ECS base kit is the way to go. If you run past the capabilities of the 1500, you can change the head unit to a 2200. Nothing to limit you other than your pocket book
Old 03-25-2015, 04:53 PM
Mauztrapls3
Advanced

Originally Posted by old motorhead
If you know your goals are that high, an ECS base kit is the way to go. If you run past the capabilities of the 1500, you can change the head unit to a 2200. Nothing to limit you other than your pocket book
As is with every hobby. why not just start with a 2200 lol
Old 03-25-2015, 07:14 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

I have run an eforce for years now and had/have no complaints at all. Tons of power and torque down low which is really fun around town. I have just switched to a centri, only because I got a deal I couldn't refuse and I love a project. There was nothing left to do with the eforce for me so I had to switch to something.
If you aren't sure what you want try to arrange to drive, or get a drive in both to help with the decision. I don't think you will be disappointed with either choice though.
Anyone who tells you that PD blowers power drops off too early, is living in the past.
See how it drops off on an eforce.................just terrible...........

Old 03-25-2015, 07:32 PM
TurboVic
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by realcanuk
Anyone who tells you that PD blowers power drops off too early, is living in the past.
See how it drops off on an eforce.................just terrible...........

not trying to be a Dick, but sorry to say that Tq curve is just terrible in my opinion. peaks early at 4200-4300 and straight up tanks down.
Old 03-25-2015, 08:04 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by TurboVic
not trying to be a Dick, but sorry to say that Tq curve is just terrible in my opinion. peaks early at 4200-4300 and straight up tanks down.
Good one but on the street most driving is done there. You can't hold the pedal to the floor on the street anyways, so what's the difference. Race car is a different story.
Old 03-25-2015, 08:19 PM
monsta01
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good one but on the street most driving is done there. You can't hold the pedal to the floor on the street anyways, so what's the difference. Race car is a different story.
Are you happy you swapped to a centri? Can you post the centri graph?
Old 03-25-2015, 09:49 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by monsta01
Are you happy you swapped to a centri? Can you post the centri graph?
Can't really answer that. I am happy because I really enjoy the project.... the build. I am sure I will love it but it is still winter here and I haven't driven the car yet. Its a completely different animal now with a lot more power...

Green is eforce........red is YSI.... pull on YSI was only to 6400 so more to come soon.

Get notified of new replies

To Centri vs twin screw

Old 03-25-2015, 10:33 PM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Received 1,110 Likes on 780 Posts

Can't really answer that. I am happy because I really enjoy the project.... the build. I am sure I will love it but it is still winter here and I haven't driven the car yet. Its a completely different animal now with a lot more power...

Green is eforce........red is YSI.... pull on YSI was only to 6400 so more to come soon.

That's some serious power!! I'm in to see how your self-built 6L80 holds up. I bet it will last longer than all of the usual A6 haters would think.
Old 03-25-2015, 10:44 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by CI GS

That's some serious power!! I'm in to see how your self-built 6L80 holds up. I bet it will last longer than all of the usual A6 haters would think.
Haha.. I really don't know how that will work out. If I stay away from the track I am confident it will be ok. The trans will actually have an easier life because in normal driving there is much less torque.
I have looked into a 4L65 conversion. I have all the info but it will be a last resort.
Old 03-26-2015, 12:11 AM
winters97gt
Le Mans Master

Received 77 Likes on 65 Posts

Quick Reply: Centri vs twin screw