C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

blower or GTR?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 09:45 PM
usmcpony
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Ultrasport05
Agreed. I commend the job ECS did getting the blower and everything else to fit as well as they did. I just installed a Z06 oil cooler today using their brackets and it looks like it could have come that way from the factory. Same with the rest of the kit as far as I'm concerned.

Op if you don't want to "hack up" the car as you say, I'd get the GTR as its a great car IMO. I wouldn't call what Has to be done to the car to make a blower kit fit hacking the car up. Yes modification is needed to fit a blower where it wasn't designed to go from the factory, and if that's not something you want to do then pick up a GTR...or better a ZR1.
I took my car to the drag strip. A few people would come over and take pictures. I ran it a couple times. It was mid august so the engine was running a little hotter than normal so I popped the hood to cool it down. Within a couple minutes literally 50-60 people came over and started taking pictures. There's no hacking in this kit. Looks way better than stock.
Old 03-25-2015, 09:52 PM
Streetk14
Melting Slicks

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by usmcpony
I don't know why you keep referring to supercharger kits as a hack job. My ECS kit looks amazing.
Unless you installed your own kit, you probably have no idea what he's referring to. You have to cut, bend, and grind a bunch of crap. I wasn't really happy doing some of the stuff I had to during my A&A install. With my attention to detail, it looked really clean when I was done, but I knew the reality of it.

Most of the stuff is out of sight, but trying to go back to 100% unmolested stock probably would take some work after an A&A or ECS install. Just off the top of my head, I needed to: grind the water pump, hammer the radiator, cut the fan shroud, cut the front bumper, and drill a giant hole in my wheel well panel.

Lowering the radiator cradle isn't "hack", but it makes the thing damn close to the ground on an already low car.
Old 03-25-2015, 10:02 PM
usmcpony
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Streetk14
Unless you installed your own kit, you probably have no idea what he's referring to. You have to cut, bend, and grind a bunch of crap. I wasn't really happy doing some of the stuff I had to during my A&A install. With my attention to detail, it looked really clean when I was done, but I knew the reality of it.

Most of the stuff is out of sight, but trying to go back to 100% unmolested stock probably would take some work after an A&A or ECS install. Just off the top of my head, I needed to: grind the water pump, hammer the radiator, cut the fan shroud, cut the front bumper, and drill a giant hole in my wheel well panel.

Lowering the radiator cradle isn't "hack", but it makes the thing damn close to the ground on an already low car.
I didn't install my ecs kit but I did install my vortech kit on my built fox body and a twin turbo kit on my friends 99 Saleen (which is alot harder than installing a supercharger) There's always going to be cutting and trimming if you want a tailored fitment. If op doesn't want to do that maybe paying someone to install it that has experience with the kit he chooses or get the GTR. In the end it's worth it IMO.

Last edited by usmcpony; 03-25-2015 at 10:09 PM.
Old 03-25-2015, 10:23 PM
Streetk14
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by usmcpony
I didn't install my ecs kit but I did install my vortech kit on my built fox body and a twin turbo kit on my friends 99 Saleen (which is alot harder than installing a supercharger) There's always going to be cutting and trimming if you want a tailored fitment. If op doesn't want to do that maybe paying someone to install it that has experience with the kit he chooses or get the GTR. In the end it's worth it IMO.
Doesn't really matter who installs the kit. It's just the nature of the centri kits for the C6. Take a look through the ECS and A&A install manuals. Both are similar on what needs to be done. Whether you pay someone or do it yourself, your car is still going to get chopped up a bit. Some guys don't mind this. It made me cringe a little doing it to my (at the time) 2 year old, immaculate car.

I'd imagine something like a Camaro or Mustang would provide a much cleaner install. By that, I mean less permanent modifications. Packaging is a real issue on the C6 platform, so compromises need to be made.

That said, I had to do almost zero modifications like that to install the blower on my current C6. Adding forced induction to an NA car doesn't always mean that's a given. Actually, I had to drill two holes in the radiator shroud to mount the air intake grommets. But seriously, that was it. Everything else was a bolt-on, plug & play deal.

Last edited by Streetk14; 03-25-2015 at 10:25 PM. Reason: auto correct sucks
Old 03-25-2015, 11:33 PM
neverstop
Melting Slicks

Received 108 Likes on 102 Posts

I've struggled with the GTR vs. FI c6 question also when I just blew up my last motor and decided to go C6. My logic was that a nice stock GTR would be at least $55k, bolt ons and E85 are what it takes to trap 130+ in a GTR and that costs serious money and you will need a built trans if you intend to do that more than a handful of times imo if you plan to launch.

I'm into my C6 ~$30k and it was at 760whp. At the last event I was at, even with some seriously messed up tuning and traction issues I was running ~170mph in the 1/2 mile and roasting some pretty serious GTRs as the C6 is much lighter. I think my car looks gorgeous and it was all done right with good stuff and is in NO way a "hack job". It has a smattering of carbon fiber and a few anodized bits with good rims, etc and to 'non car" people they think it's some crazy exotic. My buddy also has a stock ls3 m6 vette with A&A kit in flat black and it literally looks and drives stock until you mash it, and with 580whp it will pillage just about anything "normal" you'd ever run into on the street and I bet would give a 600c bike a good run from a 50 roll. I think there are ECS stock bottom end guys who've gone 9s?

I guess the way I look at it is it seems like the rwd platform can hook about 1k whp if you get serious with sticky tires. I can probably build that for 1/3 the cost it would take to build a GTR with the same power to weight ratio. I would go and drive them both but the GTR is ~4k lbs and at least $40k more to get it where I would like it vs. my vette. For the price difference I can build a C6 with 350whp more, 350lbs lighter, costs $100k less, and then drive my normal sedan when I want to just cruise in quiet with a back seat.

Having driven a 700+ whp C6 I can't imagine "upgrading" to anything else at this point now either until I can afford a UGR lambo (which will be a longggg time) or unless some impossibly good deal comes along on an already built 1k whp AMS gtr. I think you may be underestimating how gnarly a 650+ whp C6 truly is.....

Last edited by neverstop; 03-25-2015 at 11:39 PM.
Old 03-26-2015, 08:21 AM
EuroRod
Race Director

Received 168 Likes on 66 Posts

The GTR is a BIG car. They are quick 0-60, but slow after that, relatively speaking. Plus, it's a dinosaur, and close to it's lifespan ending.

My 550 rwhp spanks the GTR from 60 on up.

But, wait...

My SIL works for Nissan North America, and he just heard that Nissan may put a revised version of the GTR in a 370Z chassis. Basically the same power, 2-wheel drive, lighter and much less expensive.

Perhaps in late 2016.

That could be a killer combo. They may also produce a BMW M killer with the GTR drivetrain in an Altima.
Old 03-26-2015, 08:34 AM
reasonable suspicion
Melting Slicks

Received 324 Likes on 247 Posts

GTR! No question
Old 03-26-2015, 09:54 AM
Dude_man
Drifting

Received 93 Likes on 75 Posts

Buy a GTR and trade me for my single turbo c6
Old 03-26-2015, 11:01 AM
Snowwolfe
Le Mans Master

Received 879 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by 1MEANGS
Actually, I think you should get the GTR... I recalled a year and a half ago you started a thread with the same question... If you haven't decided by now and are still unsure... Id buy another car then! Imo, good luck
I just reread the old thread and agree, all we are doing is rehashing the same old topic.
Old 03-26-2015, 09:37 PM
croatbob
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

awd is great for street racing. personal choice but the gtr maybe my next late model tuffie
Old 03-26-2015, 10:03 PM
neverstop
Melting Slicks

Received 108 Likes on 102 Posts

if I was going to get a GTR though I'd wait 18 months anyway as the next gen gtr will be out soon and then the price of these GTRs should drop materially
Old 03-27-2015, 04:57 AM
BOO666
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Default Go gtr !

My vote is GTR .
Old 03-27-2015, 07:35 AM
Frans96ss
Le Mans Master

Received 352 Likes on 210 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Default blower or GTR?

Originally Posted by blackfd
I have no problem with injectors/fuel pump and a clutch down the road, I just dislike how common slave failure occurs with longtubes.
Slave failure has nothing to do with long tubes. Put and after market clutch and a new slave and you will never have a slave issue again.
Old 03-27-2015, 08:39 AM
Nosferatu
Le Mans Master

Received 127 Likes on 80 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by trebor8008
The two cars are so different in how they drive it, would have to come down to what car you will actually want to drive for the next handful of years.
Originally Posted by neverstop
if I was going to get a GTR though I'd wait 18 months anyway as the next gen gtr will be out soon and then the price of these GTRs should drop materially

Originally Posted by EuroRod
They are quick 0-60, but slow after that, relatively speaking. Plus, it's a dinosaur, and close to it's lifespan ending.
Disagree. Car goes from AWD to RWD at higher speeds so it loses the parasitic loses you get from typical AWD. Those cars are every bit as fast up top as they are down low.

I love my C6 and enjoy driving it everyday, but considering it's a daily driver, I'd go with a GTR because of the easier street driving car being able to put the power down.

Here's how a full bolt-on E85 model fares against a supercharged and meth injected C6. We are almost dead even in 3rd but 4th (110mph+) where I can out pull him.

He runs 10.3 @ 135 on DRs and is over 600awhp. Mustang dyno I put down 640RWHP/588RWTQ.

EDIT: Here's also a roll pull where the C6 gives him the jump and I reel him in. Chase car is a stock C7 (cannot keep up ).

Old 03-27-2015, 08:59 AM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,085 Likes on 656 Posts

Originally Posted by neverstop
I think there are ECS stock bottom end guys who've gone 9s?

To answer this specifically, we have so many stock bottom end cars in the 9's now that I have lost count a long time ago.

As for the rest of the thread, if cutting a few plastic parts that are easily replaceable and inexpensive from the dealer is "hacking up the car", then a GTR is the way to go. They are fast, but not much fun to drive IMHO.
Old 03-27-2015, 10:34 AM
Streetk14
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Nosferatu

Disagree. Car goes from AWD to RWD at higher speeds so it loses the parasitic loses you get from typical AWD. Those cars are every bit as fast up top as they are down low.

I love my C6 and enjoy driving it everyday, but considering it's a daily driver, I'd go with a GTR because of the easier street driving car being able to put the power down.

Here's how a full bolt-on E85 model fares against a supercharged and meth injected C6. We are almost dead even in 3rd but 4th (110mph+) where I can out pull him.

He runs 10.3 @ 135 on DRs and is over 600awhp. Mustang dyno I put down 640RWHP/588RWTQ.
I think he was referring more to stock GTRs, and in that sense what he said was pretty accurate. The early ones especially were only good for maybe 120 mph trap speeds.

Modded ones are a different story, but it still takes a bunch of power to make them move. I ran door to door with an AMS Alpha-9 on race gas from a roll when my T-trim car was making ~660 whp. Pulled on a '13 GTR running full bolt-ons and E85 at a similar power level. All the earlier model ~600 whp GTRs I ran in that car got easily pulled away from. The later ones are stronger, but also a lot more $$$.

But yeah, I wouldn't mind owning one. At least if they were a little nicer to look at
Old 03-27-2015, 02:38 PM
Nosferatu
Le Mans Master

Received 127 Likes on 80 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by Streetk14
I think he was referring more to stock GTRs, and in that sense what he said was pretty accurate. The early ones especially were only good for maybe 120 mph trap speeds.
Okay I'll give you that but good luck finding a stock one. That's like finding a stock Supra

Anyways on my way to FL2K last year played around with a 1000awhp GTR...made me look like I was going backwards in my setup (no meth but trust me it wouldn't have mattered )

I actually hooked in 2nd and didn't make a difference...run is at 22 second mark. We leave the AMG Merc (on left) and the 485awhp Evo X in the dust but he just walks me

Old 03-28-2015, 04:00 PM
speedmon
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

It also depends on who you are and how you view spending large chunks of money on a car.

I have a GTR and they can make a lot of "manageable" power and are very scalable to 900-1000 whp.
They handle MUCH better than a vette or even a Porsche.

You can buy a stock 2012 for 65K-70K and get to 650whp with downpipes and E85.....that's $10K.
GTR computers are more technically advanced, can hold multiple tunes and will switch "on the fly" based on ethanol %%.
Rotors and pads are $3500....and they EAT rotors.
Good Intercooler is $2500.
Trans cooler is $2000.
Parts are generally MUCH more than a vette.

If you have large amounts of disposable cash I would say go GTR.
But if $$/HP or $$/MPH is a factor, I would go vette...

I have a C6 GS too and love that car....parts are cheap....and its fast enough.....not as planted as the GTR.....

PS...If what you want to do is go fast in straight line, I would think it would be an easier transition to a ZR1.
You can crank the boost up on that, parts are easily available and less costly than a GTR, and ZR1 prices are pretty good.

Last edited by speedmon; 03-29-2015 at 03:46 PM.
Old 03-29-2015, 05:56 PM
Chicago1
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 208 Posts

Do you want raw American muscle or a video game car that drives itself has no soul. I mean they are bad *** with all the gadgets but I like driving my car not the other way around..

Quick Reply: blower or GTR?