C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The New Build Begins ... finally

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2015, 09:05 AM
M M Alexander
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by schpenxel
Nice! I bet that will really help with airflow. I've been thinking about making some side panels to go on each end of the radiator/intercooler on mine.
I'm going to make a pair of side panels as well. I Hope to have them traced out sometime this week and have them completed by the weekend.
Old 06-23-2015, 09:06 AM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by M M Alexander
I'm going to make a pair of side panels as well. I Hope to have them traced out sometime this week and have them completed by the weekend.
Well scan me a copy so I can avoid having to do the work
Old 06-23-2015, 09:24 AM
M M Alexander
Racer

Well scan me a copy so I can avoid having to do the work
Ha! Not a problem - BUT - I'm going to have to do mine in 2 pieces per side as I don't have a metal brake (one of the few tolls I don't own) and they will have to be welded along the seam.
Old 06-23-2015, 09:29 AM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Ha! Not a problem - BUT - I'm going to have to do mine in 2 pieces per side as I don't have a metal brake (one of the few tolls I don't own) and they will have to be welded along the seam.
Gotcha. I don't have one either.. so that actually might be even better
Old 06-23-2015, 11:41 PM
M M Alexander
Racer

Finished boxing the cut out. I primed then painted along with cutting the foam to match.

I'll work on making the block off plates before the end of the week.
Old 06-23-2015, 11:43 PM
neverstop
Melting Slicks

Received 108 Likes on 102 Posts

nice work! i've been meaning to do that to my car too if it ever drives again
Old 06-24-2015, 07:48 AM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

That looks really good and has to help with airflow.
Old 06-24-2015, 03:28 PM
M M Alexander
Racer

Default Got a nice little surprise this afternoon ...

Packages arrived for me at the office this afternoon

They "look" fantastic - and from all reviews I've found they should work out pretty well with the 416 (especially with some air being forced through them )

This was the last piece of the puzzle as far as motor parts went. I can now assemble the short block and get it ready to go back into the car.
Old 06-24-2015, 04:28 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Perty!
Old 06-24-2015, 08:27 PM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Received 1,110 Likes on 780 Posts

Nice! Those CNC heads sure are purty, all right! That's the way they should come from the factory, IMO.
Nice work on the cutting and re-boxing the front bumper too. That Pat G guy is a frickin genius. That must be what the "G" stands for!
That thing should fly when you get it all back together!
Old 06-24-2015, 11:22 PM
M M Alexander
Racer

Perty!
Originally Posted by CI GS
Nice! Those CNC heads sure are purty, all right! That's the way they should come from the factory, IMO.
Well here's to hoping they perform as well as they look, lol!
- I didn't get around to mocking up the side panels for the radiator as I got heavily involved with my headers.
I grew tired of heat around the foot wells. I figured I'd insulate and sound deaden while I had it apart. So I ordered a bunch of dynamat, some high heat Gold reflective tape/panels and 5 rolls of Lava wrap.
This evening I wrapped 1 header

They say that the titanium/lava is not itchy-irritant as the normal fiber glass wrap ... Well while I found it to be less of an irritant - it does require the same skin protection as normal wrap ( and my skin is far from sensitive).
Old 06-24-2015, 11:38 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Dynamat is marketed well, but not really what you want for sound blocking. MLV does a much better job of absorbing sound. My car is damn near silent inside after doing the trunk/waterfall/transmission tunnel/door panels in it. I also put 3M Thinsulate in the doors.

Dynamat will work to stop rattles and buzzes, but won't really stop outside noise from getting in the cabin very well
Old 06-25-2015, 08:44 AM
M M Alexander
Racer

Dynamat is marketed well, but not really what you want for sound blocking. MLV does a much better job of absorbing sound. My car is damn near silent inside after doing the trunk/waterfall/transmission tunnel/door panels in it. I also put 3M Thinsulate in the doors.
I did Custom Car Stereo in the late 80's - mid 90's while in College during the high times if IASCA- I was MECP certified since its inception. I mention that to say, while there may be better products out "now" I've never been disappointed with its performance. I figure it along with the other heat barrier products Im installing will go along way towards reducing foot well temperatures (which is my main area of concentration in using the products).

Dynamat will work to stop rattles and buzzes, but won't really stop outside noise from getting in the cabin very well
I don't have ton of NVH but the little I do have I drown out with BASS - LOL!
Old 06-25-2015, 08:52 AM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

I did Custom Car Stereo in the late 80's - mid 90's while in College during the high times if IASCA- I was MECP certified since its inception. I mention that to say, while there may be better products out "now" I've never been disappointed with its performance. I figure it along with the other heat barrier products Im installing will go along way towards reducing foot well temperatures (which is my main area of concentration in using the products).

I don't have ton of NVH but the little I do have I drown out with BASS - LOL!
lol. The difference in road noise on mine was pretty incredible after doing a layer of MLV, but it sounds like you've got it covered and have done a lot more audio installs than me regardless, so I'm sure it will be fine

Headers look nice all wrapped up too!

Nice build!
Old 06-26-2015, 10:33 AM
M M Alexander
Racer

Headers look nice all wrapped up too!
Got both headers and X-Pipe wrapped. I'll hopefully get enough time this weekend to get the side panels completed and start assembling the long block.

Old 07-05-2015, 12:16 AM
M M Alexander
Racer

Default Well if anyone is reading this ...

Kinda like talking to myself at this point but ...

I've been in the garage a lot the past few days and managed to get some meaningful work done.
Short Block is now a Long Block

That's who I can blame if the motor blows up

Fab'd the side panels for the radiator - Cardboard

Which then became

Wash rinse repeat for other side and you get this

Painted and installed

Old 07-05-2015, 12:19 AM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

I'm still reading!

Looking good. I like the side plates. I think I'm going to do something similar at some point.

Keep posting updates. It's coming together

Get notified of new replies

To The New Build Begins ... finally

Old 07-05-2015, 12:37 AM
M M Alexander
Racer

Finally found a paint that matches the ECS Black coating (I actually ended up having to use 2 shades of black to get it to match). I had long wanted to paint the Alternator bracket and the throttle body - and now with ️damn car apart along with having a paint technique to match - why not.

And OH YEAH...
The girl friend woke up this 4th of July morning and said "how about we drop the motor into the car."
So we embarked on that and after an hour or so fiddling and adjusting (I think I could get it back in under 30 minutes now that I've done it) we have

Got the cradle and suspension components bolted back in. Installed all the connections along the bottom of the motor and called it a day. I will finish putting the puzzle together during the course of the week. I may actually have it running in the next few weeks.
Old 07-05-2015, 09:00 AM
GeneSch
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Looking good
What ERL set up did you go with?
Old 07-05-2015, 09:39 AM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Received 1,110 Likes on 780 Posts

Finally found a paint that matches the ECS Black coating (I actually ended up having to use 2 shades of black to get it to match). I had long wanted to paint the Alternator bracket and the throttle body - and now with ️damn car apart along with having a paint technique to match - why not.

And OH YEAH...
The girl friend woke up this 4th of July morning and said "how about we drop the motor into the car."
So we embarked on that and after an hour or so fiddling and adjusting (I think I could get it back in under 30 minutes now that I've done it) we have

Got the cradle and suspension components bolted back in. Installed all the connections along the bottom of the motor and called it a day. I will finish putting the puzzle together during the course of the week. I may actually have it running in the next few weeks.
Looking good man!
Wait, you have a girlfriend that wakes up and asks you when you're gonna drop the motor in your car??!! Man, that's a keeper!!

Quick Reply: The New Build Begins ... finally