C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The New Build Begins ... finally

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 11:33 AM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,193 Likes on 1,052 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by CI GS
Wait, you have a girlfriend that wakes up and asks you when you're gonna drop the motor in your car??!! Man, that's a keeper!!
I was about to say the same thing
Old 07-05-2015, 12:55 PM
M M Alexander
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 38 Posts

Looking good man!
Wait, you have a girlfriend that wakes up and asks you when you're gonna drop the motor in your car??!! Man, that's a keeper!!
Yeah she's "that 1" ... Wish I had her in my life 20 years earlier

She gets out there and helps me get it done quite often
Old 07-18-2015, 03:31 AM
M M Alexander
Racer

Motor install is pretty close to being complete. Added fluids, mounted most of the components.

A/C tensioner plate for O/D Balancer along with Stage 1 fuel kit finally arrived from ECS

Now I can button up the last bits and pieces and crank up her up sometime this weekend.
Old 07-18-2015, 07:22 AM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Received 1,110 Likes on 780 Posts

Originally Posted by M M Alexander
Motor install is pretty close to being complete. Added fluids, mounted most of the components.

A/C tensioner plate for O/D Balancer along with Stage 1 fuel kit finally arrived from ECS

Now I can button up the last bits and pieces and crank up her up sometime this weekend.
Good stuff!!
Keep us posted.
Old 07-18-2015, 09:56 AM
scottg
Burning Brakes

Received 187 Likes on 126 Posts

I really like this kind of stuff
Old 07-18-2015, 10:07 AM
M M Alexander
Racer

I Added an external cooler for the transmission shortly after adding the ECS kit. One of the best mods I or anyone else, with an A6, could do for it.
Engine oil temps was something I wanted to address while i had the car down. With the passenger side nose of the car housing the transmission cooler, I decided to place an engine oil cooler in the nose of the drivers side.

The nose area behind the bumper cover has a nice size occupancy rate, lol. It's premium real estate

Good stuff!!
Keep us posted.
By "us" you mean, you, I and Schpenexel, right?! (just kidding - sorta - I'm sure there has to be 1 other soul interested in this thread).
Old 07-18-2015, 10:48 AM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

I Added an external cooler for the transmission shortly after adding the ECS kit. One of the best mods I or anyone else, with an A6, could do for it.
Engine oil temps was something I wanted to address while i had the car down. With the passenger side nose of the car housing the transmission cooler, I decided to place an engine oil cooler in the nose of the drivers side.

The nose area behind the bumper cover has a nice size occupancy rate, lol. It's premium real estate

By "us" you mean, you, I and Schpenexel, right?! (just kidding - sorta - I'm sure there has to be 1 other soul interested in this thread).
Nah, I'm sure there are other folks than us prehistoric, knuckle-dragging DIYer wrenchers, that are following this.
I even see my buddy ScottG on here now. He's one of us Heartbeat guys that are an even rarer breed!!
What I really want to know is, how much of this work is actually yours, and how much is actually your better half's doing??
Old 07-18-2015, 11:01 AM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Very nice looking work and smart to put the coolers. I have them in the same place and they help a lot, especially for the tranny. Since I never use them, I went a step further and replaced my fog lights with grills. Ton more airflow to the coolers that way.

Keep up the good work !!
Old 07-18-2015, 11:05 AM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

Also, consider putting some heat shield on those oil lines where they will be close to the headers. Better safe than sorry.

Old 07-18-2015, 11:21 AM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by realcanuk
Very nice looking work and smart to put the coolers. I have them in the same place and they help a lot, especially for the tranny. Since I never use them, I went a step further and replaced my fog lights with grills. Ton more airflow to the coolers that way.

Keep up the good work !!
That is a good location for a compact transmission cooler/fan module, except on my car, since my H/X water pump is there already, I would have to put the cooler on the drivers side (or somehow relocate the HX pump. I'm also thinking that the best way to get air to a cooler in that area without taking the fog lights out is by cutting the radiator shroud in the side behind the grille on the sides where it necks down to the radiator. I'm talking about the piece of plastic shown roughly in the Center of the photo below:

Old 07-18-2015, 11:26 AM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

I wouldn't cut the shroud personally. Losing airflow through the rad is the last thing I would want.
Old 07-18-2015, 05:50 PM
scottg
Burning Brakes

Received 187 Likes on 126 Posts

Damm fine bunch of goodies you got there. And yes Tom we are a rare bunch. But love to see others spend their hard earned cash.
Old 07-18-2015, 09:10 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

lol, I'm still here! Just been remodeling a bathroom all damn day. No car fun for me this weekend it doesn't look like

Looking good though. Hopefully she starts right up for you!
Old 07-19-2015, 02:47 PM
neverstop
Melting Slicks

Received 108 Likes on 102 Posts

great thread! I'm following and plan to shamelessly copy your radiator/intercooler side plates. good stuff!
Old 07-19-2015, 06:02 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by neverstop
plan to shamelessly copy your radiator/intercooler side plates. good stuff!
Me and you both!
Old 07-19-2015, 11:59 PM
M M Alexander
Racer

Very nice looking work and smart to put the coolers. I have them in the same place and they help a lot, especially for the tranny,
Thanks Canuk ... I actually found a posting of yours while I was searching for transmission coolers - which lead me to placing the cooler where it is. I think the only thing I did differently was weld the right angle bracket, along the top, to the ECS cradle spacer. I wanted to make sure it was a sturdy mount. It's actually me following your lead on that one.

consider putting some heat shield on those oil lines where they will be close to the headers. Better safe than sorry.
I wrapped them up - the earlier pic was during mock up - but I do agree on better safe than sorry

Originally Posted by scottg
Damm fine bunch of goodies you got there. And yes Tom we are a rare bunch. But love to see others spend their hard earned cash.
Yeah, I admit - I like to read about / see others dropping some cash and doing the work themselves. Makes me feel I'm not "all alone" with this mindset.

Originally Posted by schpenxel
lol, I'm still here! Just been remodeling a bathroom all damn day. No car fun for me this weekend it doesn't look like
Good - you needed a "car break" LOL! Lord knows you've been putting in major amounts of labor on your car the past few months.

Looking good though. Hopefully she starts right up for you!
And it did just that! I got everything connected – checked over everything one more 'gin. Disconnected the coil packs to allow the oil pump to prime the motor. Did that like 5 times over a 15 - 20 minute period ( so as to not cook the starter). Hooked coil packs back up - pushed the button and it roared to life! Settled down to nice 600 rpm and stayed there, which was shocking when you consider I've changed nothing in the tune from when it had the stock cam.

Originally Posted by neverstop
great thread! I'm following and plan to shamelessly copy your radiator/intercooler side plates. good stuff!
Thanks for tagging along on this ride
The side panel idea is not mine alone - I looked at what Pat G had done. Then after looking at front of the car – its a no brainier type of thing. It just makes sense on it improving airflow thru the intercooler/condenser/radiator. Its not a hard modification but it was time consuming and requires having a few metal working tools (grinders, cut off wheels, welding machines for both aluminum and steel ).
Old 07-20-2015, 12:05 AM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

Very nice work and thread. I can vouch that when you take your time, use the right stuff, and do things right, it pays off big time. About 1000 miles now without one issue to date, which from what I read seems to be rare with new, in depth builds.

Yours should be awesome with such attention to detail.

Get notified of new replies

To The New Build Begins ... finally

Old 07-20-2015, 01:28 AM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

Build looks great!

Btw, if it is slow to build oil pressure after start up, it's because the way you have the oil cooler mounted, the oil from the cooler will drain back into the pan, therefore you will have to refill the oil cooler after every start up.

If you mount it with the fittings on the top, it will not drain empty. Just FYI.

Good luck on the final product. It's gonna turn out great.

Which ERL shortblock did you get?
Old 07-20-2015, 10:34 AM
M M Alexander
Racer

Very nice work and thread. I can vouch that when you take your time, use the right stuff, and do things right, it pays off big time. About 1000 miles now without one issue to date, which from what I read seems to be rare with new, in depth builds.
Yeah, for you to go from the PD (that seemed to run better than other Edlebrock I've seen) to modifying the C5 kit for your C6 - and it bust over a GRAND to the wheels thru the A6
You Sir - Are Da MAN!

Yours should be awesome with such attention to detail.
I sure hope so. As much as I don't want to put a "number" goal in my head - 750 to the wheels is my hope/dream - with it being gremlin free (as much as a Corvette can anyhow).

Originally Posted by ajrothm
Build looks great!
Btw, if it is slow to build oil pressure after start up, it's because the way you have the oil cooler mounted, the oil from the cooler will drain back into the pan, therefore you will have to refill the oil cooler after every start up.
Thank You for the Kudo's.
I was kind of concerned with placement - but with the size of the cooler, I was limited on how I could mount it and still get half decent airflow across it. I was pleasantly surprised when I started it up last night and the oil gauge hit 50 immediately. That is with straight weight 30 VR oil for break in. I'm running the recommended Melling 10296 with the Red Spring still in it.

Good luck on the final product. It's gonna turn out great.
Which ERL shortblock did you get?
After reading your thread and related issues with Callies, I'm almost scared to mention, LOL! But it's the V4 with custom compression (10.2:1).
Old 07-21-2015, 01:49 AM
M M Alexander
Racer

Default Start up Video

I mean, since everyone else adds one to their thread

Last edited by M M Alexander; 07-21-2015 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Loads on Ipad - not on PC with YT tags?!?

Quick Reply: The New Build Begins ... finally