C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

meth for safety or meth dependant?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 10:09 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

I actually run my meth off the maf, rather than map. The amount of airflow does not always correspond to the boost so I like it set up this way better. When pressing hard it equates to coming on around 4lbs, but under other conditions it differs.
Old 04-20-2015, 10:48 PM
Streetk14
Melting Slicks

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 08C6
So from what I read into it... meth is for racing purposes !!! on the street you never have enough room to hit that RPM - if yes were way over the limit... I no I tried it on the weekend !!!
The whole idea behind methanol injection is "octane on demand". It gives you the octane benefits of race fuel, but only when you need it -- when in boost. The MAP-based Alky Control kits that most use here and factory set to activate at 3 psi, and increase meth flow based on boost from there. When you're not in boost and you don't need that extra knock suppression, no meth flow is present. The systems are very adjustable, but the basic formula is this: more boost=more meth.

With a PD blower like the Heartbeat you have, you're building full boost and time you go WOT. And I'd have to guess you're over 5 psi any time you put your foot to the floor. For your type of blower, you really want to have the meth system triggered off the MAF signal. Since your boost curve is basically a straight line, the meth flow curve is going to be far from ideal. By triggering it off the MAF, more airflow = more meth.

Is there a benefit to meth when "not racing"? Of course -- unless you never get hard into the boost. But what's the point of owning a 650+ rwhp car if you're not going to do that? Meth allows more boost, timing, and power, but has no effect during normal driving. Make sense?
Old 04-20-2015, 11:21 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I thought this was a pretty interesting article that you guys may like:

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/resources/rich.php
Old 04-21-2015, 12:44 PM
lt1z
Melting Slicks

Received 170 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by realcanuk
I actually run my meth off the maf, rather than map. The amount of airflow does not always correspond to the boost so I like it set up this way better. When pressing hard it equates to coming on around 4lbs, but under other conditions it differs.
I prefer a maf trigger as well.
Old 04-22-2015, 03:47 PM
Nosferatu
Le Mans Master

Received 127 Likes on 80 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by schpenxel
Yeah C6's have a message that shows up on the DIC when the washer level is low, so that is a nice built in check for at least making sure you aren't running empty.
What he said is what I do. Also my tuner (FSP) set it so the car will fall flat if there's no meth. I've felt this before (for other reasons) and the car will feel slower than stock on a pull when it falls flat.

My car is meth dependent. I was going to put a post up in general tech later today detailing the methanol install and power gains but it's worth it. 1/2psi boost added along with meth and peak I gained 65RWHP/56RWTQ on a Mustang dyno. It gives consistent power whereas before I'd feel the heat soak even on a Centri build (ECS). Car feels naturally aspirated it hits consistently every time.

In addition, the IATs respond FAST by monitoring on the DashLogic. I can be showing 105 degrees on the IATs and by the time my foot is to the floor the IATs are showing 55 to 60 degrees when ambient is near 90 degrees. As soon as I get off the temps come up pretty quick.

Originally Posted by C U IN REARVEIW
For those who are using methenol dependant setups. ...about how often do you need to fill washer tank and how dependant is your setup (I KNOW THERE ARE MANY FACTORS TO THIS USAGE)......just curious.
PLENTY!!! This was my big concern when I setup my street car (15k miles a year on it).

I've never had it fall low since I've installed it. I always top it off about once a week and it barely gets any in there.

The one weekend I really pushed the car it only took 36 oz which is about a 1/4 gallon. This involved a 90 mile highway drive north, doing 6 full 1/2 mile pulls to 170mph, and yeehaw'ing it back the 90 mile drive on the highway. The windshield washer tank I'm told holds about a gallon. In short, I had plenty to keep having fun.

Last edited by Nosferatu; 04-22-2015 at 03:50 PM.

Quick Reply: meth for safety or meth dependant?