C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RHS or ERL built short block?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 05:20 PM
SquatchMachining
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by 5 Liter Eater
I know the LSX requires quite a bit of machining to get the deck and bore where they need to be but I can't imagine it's anywhere near the ~$2000 price difference between the LSX and ERL (without core).
It's not...

Bore/hone with plates, deck, line hone mains, clean and prep for assembly shouldn't be more than $800 no matter where you go!
Old 04-21-2015, 09:08 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

I was getting quotes of $2k-2200 just to machine a new lsx block... Which is $2500 on its own.. So for $4700... I'd pay the $1k difference and get the ERL Super Deck 6 bolt. Just the reduction in water temps is worth that money.

I would be a bit concerned about the liners dropping...not gonna lie..
Old 04-21-2015, 10:42 PM
gotjuice?
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

I have had my ERL Superdeck for a couple of years. Ran many Texas Mile runs. Fifth gear up to 7100 rpms and no issues so far. I have been very happy with my setup. I just wish I would have gone with a 6 bolt or 1/2 head setup. Boost and juice might be a little too much with a four bolt setup.
Old 04-22-2015, 12:22 AM
usmcpony
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by gotjuice?
I have had my ERL Superdeck for a couple of years. Ran many Texas Mile runs. Fifth gear up to 7100 rpms and no issues so far. I have been very happy with my setup. I just wish I would have gone with a 6 bolt or 1/2 head setup. Boost and juice might be a little too much with a four bolt setup.
What power level are you at now and what type of dyno? Thanks
Old 04-22-2015, 12:22 AM
usmcpony
Drifting

Anyone know and ERL vendors that's having a sale?
Old 04-22-2015, 10:17 AM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by ajrothm
I was getting quotes of $2k-2200 just to machine a new lsx block...
LOL thats the only reason I don't go where you go. $$$
Old 04-22-2015, 11:15 AM
Turbo-Geist
Melting Slicks

Received 176 Likes on 138 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by usmcpony
Out of the two. Which one do you prefer for 1000rwhp and why?
If you only have these two options to choose from and are looking to make 1000rwhp with a blower, I would pick the ERL block. Why? You have to do some research and see what information is out there. My current research points to multiple block failures with the RHS block. Mostly the block cracks from stress, but the rotating assembly and everything else is intact. You aren't getting what you paid for in this scenario. ERL issues don't seem to be prevalent at this time. Is this due to lack of reports or that there aren't any issues?

Is there any reason why are you limiting yourself to these two options?

Originally Posted by Redline Motorsports
The ERL block utilizes a serious set of sleeves which add great strength to the block. We have pushed that block many times to 1300-1400 crank....although we've had some issues with sleeves dropping...which is a problem with "sleeved" engines.

HT
What sleeves were used (wet or dry) and who did the machining and sleeve installation? When was the last time (month and year) that you experienced a dropped sleeve with an ERL block?

Originally Posted by ERL PERFORMANCE
Always great to see people doing their homework! I will be glad to answer any questions you may have. Here is my contact info:

Andres
avivanco@erlperformance.com
Andres, what type of sleeves are you using in the ERL Superdeck blocks? Are you using the Darton sleeves that have a flange diameter larger than the bore spacing? Do they have sealant grooves machined into the lower section of the sleeve? Is there a shelf cut into the deck of the block to allow the flange to seat and prevent the sleeve from dropping?

Are the blocks vibratory stress relieved before and after machining?
Old 04-22-2015, 12:11 PM
Redline Motorsports
Melting Slicks

Received 124 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo-Geist
If you only have these two options to choose from and are looking to make 1000rwhp with a blower, I would pick the ERL block. Why? You have to do some research and see what information is out there. My current research points to multiple block failures with the RHS block. Mostly the block cracks from stress, but the rotating assembly and everything else is intact. You aren't getting what you paid for in this scenario. ERL issues don't seem to be prevalent at this time. Is this due to lack of reports or that there aren't any issues?

What sleeves were used (wet or dry) and who did the machining and sleeve installation? When was the last time (month and year) that you experienced a dropped sleeve with an ERL block?

Andres, what type of sleeves are you using in the ERL Superdeck blocks? Are you using the Darton sleeves that have a flange diameter larger than the bore spacing? Do they have sealant grooves machined into the lower section of the sleeve? Is there a shelf cut into the deck of the block to allow the flange to seat and prevent the sleeve from dropping?

It was a block done by ERL....problem got resolved these service was good... just caused a lot of wasted time and money...

Its still in my opinion a tough block to beat for the money. This was a year ago.....why?
Old 04-22-2015, 02:20 PM
Turbo-Geist
Melting Slicks

2017 C5 of Year Finalist

Its still in my opinion a tough block to beat for the money. This was a year ago.....why?
Thanks for the info and glad to hear that you were treated right. As I mentioned, I'm just curious and doing research to try and make informed decisions. I'm not looking to gather info and call anyone out.

I know in the early days of block sleeving there were many issues. Fortunately a few talented individuals have come up with engineered solutions and procedures to eliminate the original issues. I was just curious of the time frame to determine if there are any one off situations that still occur.

The business owners that strive for perfection can still have something unexpected occur from time to time. It's how you react to that situation and learn from it that makes a difference.
Old 04-22-2015, 02:55 PM
0ERL PERFORMANCE
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Superdeck

So our sleeving process has certainly evolved from the early days. Though throughout this process we have only had a very small number of issues with dropped sleeves. Our manufacturer warranty has covered these very small percentage of incidents.
The blocks are indeed stress relieved in between each machining process. We now use our own ductile iron sleeves that come from a US foundry (not overseas). They are T-flanged and further supported by our truss system. Some of the processes and details that we offer are proprietary to our Superdeck Process. We receive sleeve blanks and machine each for a perfect fit to your block. These are all in house operations with top of the line equipment which is why we are able to stand behind our product.
Our sponsored LS race cars are able to handle 1,800 to 2,800HP with our Superdeck System.

Originally Posted by Turbo-Geist

Old 04-22-2015, 03:34 PM
usmcpony
Drifting

I am not limiting myself to just these blocks. I'm open to different options. I would like to stay aluminum cause i read they're 180lbs lighter but if the price is right and another block will hold I may consider other options.
Old 04-22-2015, 03:35 PM
fe9_fe9
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have to do your homework really good before making the decision. This is the heart of your car and it will cost you a lot! If you face any issues, you will lose a lot of time and $$$. You should also care for vendor support and see based on different experiences, which one will not keep you stranded and stand behind their product if any issue comes up. These things happen.

Faisal

Last edited by fe9_fe9; 04-23-2015 at 05:32 AM. Reason: quick edit
Old 04-22-2015, 04:01 PM
Turbo-Geist
Melting Slicks

2017 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by ERL PERFORMANCE
So our sleeving process has certainly evolved from the early days. Though throughout this process we have only had a very small number of issues with dropped sleeves. Our manufacturer warranty has covered these very small percentage of incidents.
The blocks are indeed stress relieved in between each machining process. We now use our own ductile iron sleeves that come from a US foundry (not overseas). They are T-flanged and further supported by our truss system. Some of the processes and details that we offer are proprietary to our Superdeck Process. We receive sleeve blanks and machine each for a perfect fit to your block. These are all in house operations with top of the line equipment which is why we are able to stand behind our product.
Our sponsored LS race cars are able to handle 1,800 to 2,800HP with our Superdeck System.
Thanks, Andres. Great explanation. What is generally the preferred engine displacement for making 1800hp with a Superdeck System?

Originally Posted by usmcpony
I am not limiting myself to just these blocks. I'm open to different options. I would like to stay aluminum cause i read they're 180lbs lighter but if the price is right and another block will hold I may consider other options.
Based on your original two options, I think it's easy to see from what ERL Performance posted which one you should choose. Look around, I don't think there is a thread on here where RHS has discussed what is occurring with their multiple cracked blocks. Who knows, you may have even received some PMs from people on here that have firsthand experience.

I know some people think you can fall out of a tree these days and make 1000rwhp, but it's not without risks in a C5 or C6 platform. Choosing the right parts and companies to partner with is still recommended.

Last edited by Turbo-Geist; 04-22-2015 at 04:23 PM.
Old 04-22-2015, 04:21 PM
usmcpony
Drifting

Im definitely leaning more towards ERL. I got a quote from them and they're currently out of my budget. I originally thought $8k would get me what I wanted but I was wrong lol. I have a couple Cars and some parts to sell.
Old 04-22-2015, 04:28 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

If I had to do it again I would do ERL.

I did LSX because at the time I had no core, didn't want to find one, and for $1000 less after paying the core charge I figured I could use $1000 on weight reduction to make up the 100+lbs of the iron block. My mistake. I would gladly pay $1000 now to have the aluminum block.

I helped put together an ERL 434 twin turbo car that made 1450rwhp spinning on the dyno not even pushing it. Easy 1600+rwhp car if dyno would hold power.

Last edited by Unreal; 04-22-2015 at 04:49 PM.
Old 04-22-2015, 10:40 PM
Chance42
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Loving my ERL superdeck so far. Have a few more things to finish up, and hopefully within the month it will be all finished up finally. Just n/a at the moment, but about to spray the house down.
Old 04-23-2015, 08:40 PM
usmcpony
Drifting

Originally Posted by Unreal
If I had to do it again I would do ERL.

I did LSX because at the time I had no core, didn't want to find one, and for $1000 less after paying the core charge I figured I could use $1000 on weight reduction to make up the 100+lbs of the iron block. My mistake. I would gladly pay $1000 now to have the aluminum block.

I helped put together an ERL 434 twin turbo car that made 1450rwhp spinning on the dyno not even pushing it. Easy 1600+rwhp car if dyno would hold power.
Very well put

Get notified of new replies

To RHS or ERL built short block?

Old 04-24-2015, 10:24 AM
BLOWNBLUEZ06@RKT Performance
Supporting Vendor

Received 314 Likes on 207 Posts

The RHS block we feel is a sound block to support 1100 crank. Yes there have been some issues but I'm not not sure if some was caused by stress transmitted back to the block from mounts.

HT
My RHS block failed. I called RHS for weeks without any return call. I also emailed with no luck. It wasn't until after I posted up a video on YT and posted on Yellow Bullet that they started having any dialog with me. Once I did finally get someone to talk with me, he treated me nicely and followed up as needed. They commented about "torsional stress" from my supercharger, but that was information regurgitated from someone @ RHS to someone at COMP, helping me out with my situation. The "torsional stress" component is 100% bogus based on the fact that I have seen another RHS block fail in the exact same place mine did and when they started with the "your supercharger's putting stress on the block" talk, he explained to them that he was rear-mount turbo.

If you buy a RHS block and it fails AND they decide to take care of you in any way, form or fashion, they will end up in a net-zero situation. That means they refuse to lose any money on the deal. You pay retail for the block, they might give you dealer cost back. Forget about your additional 5k for all the time in machine work, assembly, R&R of engines etc. You bear all of the financial burden in any case. You're not going to want another block if it fails. The risk of another failure is too high. Save your receipts! The warranty is 1 year, no more.
Old 05-25-2015, 04:59 AM
avelciario
Cruising

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ajrothm
ERL for sure....

RHS will leave you holding the bag when their $5k block starts pissing coolant out of the side for no reason...

On a budget, stick with the newer LSX block.
Yes, I had same problem just right now,new assembled, RHS BLOCK, 427 stroker kit, F1R supercharger, converted to dry sump on a C6 corvette only push 4x on dyno and start leaking coolant after full checking there's a crack on the left side of the block. Any Idea what we can do or claim to RHS?
Old 05-25-2015, 08:24 AM
WHITE_SHARK
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have an RHS block and faced one issue with that block leaking water from one of the external head bolt! we sealed it and it was totally fine now and done some 8 second passes and lot of dynos with 24# boost.

I have some friends who have cracked their RHS and wasted their many,,, I have read some terrible posts about the RHS block cracking at same spot with no support from RHS! I'm scared now with my block to go full power (1200whp+) so I'm staying at 24psi level.

Never heard bad things about ERL block(only one friend had an issue with it) but I always hear that the sales and wait time is too long with ERL.

If I will do my project again, talking about 1200hp+, I will choose L S X

Quick Reply: RHS or ERL built short block?