C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RHS or ERL built short block?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 06:05 PM
usmcpony
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Default RHS or ERL built short block?

Out of the two. Which one do you prefer for 1000rwhp and why?
Old 04-20-2015, 06:42 PM
croatbob
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Can't go wrong with either but I went rhs
Old 04-20-2015, 08:27 PM
inspector12
Drifting

Received 82 Likes on 76 Posts

Can't recommend the RHS for that. While it should hold at that power level, with the few ppl that have had the blocks crack etc... Just wouldn't feel good about saying hey this is the block to run etc... But others have had good luck with it Vengace has build quite a few that have held up at higher hp levels. The ERL blocks have been pretty reliable from what Ive seen and used hard to argue that so cost would be a big factor at this point for me etc... GL! sorry no real help for you. But between the two I'd lean toward the ERL if its got to be an AL. block etc..
Old 04-20-2015, 08:47 PM
croatbob
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Redline Motorsport is bout to run a 7 with an rhs n vengeance got sum insane rhs builds. I think over 1500 they revert back to an lsx block
Old 04-20-2015, 09:09 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

ERL for sure....

RHS will leave you holding the bag when their $5k block starts pissing coolant out of the side for no reason...

On a budget, stick with the newer LSX block.
Old 04-20-2015, 09:19 PM
yur2slo
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I've been pushing 32psi of supercharged boost through an ERL 6 bolt block with no issues. Sent in a 5.3L core and they worked their magic. A ton of drag racers use them throughout the country with awesome results.
Old 04-20-2015, 09:21 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I know of 3 people who have cracked RHS blocks, and I haven't even looked for more. At the same time, Sinister's RHS block seems to be holding up.

I'd go ERL personally
Old 04-20-2015, 09:36 PM
neverstop
Melting Slicks

Received 108 Likes on 102 Posts

I'm not hugely concerned with weight and it was a while ago but LMR went with lsx blocks I believe in their crazy 240mph C5, so I'd go either LSX or ERL block
Old 04-20-2015, 10:10 PM
Redline Motorsports
Melting Slicks

Received 124 Likes on 84 Posts

The great debate and most certainly an opinion based topic with a bit of experience mixed in. I think all these blocks have there place and some better then others in certain areas. I will note all the companies are top shelf and we personally work with all three.

The RHS block we feel is a sound block to support 1100 crank. Yes there have been some issues but I'm not not sure if some was caused by stress transmitted back to the block from mounts.

The ERL block utilizes a serious set of sleeves which add great strength to the block. We have pushed that block many times to 1300-1400 crank....although we've had some issues with sleeves dropping...which is a problem with "sleeved" engines.

The LSX iron block hands down is good ole faithful. Iron blocks make more power due to thermal transfer.....the blocks are very strong and head gasket sealing is much better with a solid piece between the bores....of course there is some more machining needed but it also allows for control over deck height, bore options and head stud changes etc....1500-2200 HP is no problem....we don't care about the weight we just run another 1/2 a lb of boost!

The bad boy block is the Dart block with the Darton MID sleeves....now you have seriously strong sleeves in a block designed for the MID sleeve in the aluminum body. I have spoke to Dart and Dave Clinton (owner of Darton) about this design and they put there hand out that it will support 2800.

This really all depends on target power, how its used and budget!

HT
Old 04-20-2015, 10:20 PM
usmcpony
Drifting

I appreciate the help fellas. I will be going with a 6 bolt. Otherwise I'll just stick with my stock block and forge the internals imo
Old 04-20-2015, 11:17 PM
Redline Motorsports
Melting Slicks

Received 124 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by usmcpony
I appreciate the help fellas. I will be going with a 6 bolt. Otherwise I'll just stick with my stock block and forge the internals imo
Just out of curiosity; what form of forced induction where you going to use and what kind of use will it be used for?

HT
Old 04-20-2015, 11:55 PM
usmcpony
Drifting

Originally Posted by Redline Motorsports
Just out of curiosity; what form of forced induction where you going to use and what kind of use will it be used for?

HT
I just upgraded from the novi 1500 to the 2200r and im going to do the king of the street events at two local drag strips.
Old 04-21-2015, 04:54 AM
WHITE_SHARK
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I went with RHS however If I will do it again, I will go ERL or LSX for sure!
Old 04-21-2015, 09:17 AM
FLTMEDIC
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ls Next with darton mid-sleeves
Old 04-21-2015, 09:30 AM
0ERL PERFORMANCE
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ERL Superdeck 6-Bolt

Always great to see people doing their homework! I will be glad to answer any questions you may have. Here is my contact info:

Andres
avivanco@erlperformance.com

Originally Posted by usmcpony
Out of the two. Which one do you prefer for 1000rwhp and why?
Old 04-21-2015, 10:09 AM
DustinJ
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I personally have an ERL Superdeck, and seeing it prior to installation it is a work of art. Very pleased, and the car made plenty of power. Ready to put more miles on it, and feed it some more air with a bigger blower. I know of another local guy putting out 1200rwhp on a Superdeck.
Old 04-21-2015, 11:44 AM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

I was looking at this recently after cracking my LQ block. I've seen/hard too many negatives about the RHS. I would personally steer away from it. The ERL is a good block But I'm cheap and ended up with an LSX.

Get notified of new replies

To RHS or ERL built short block?

Old 04-21-2015, 03:08 PM
SquatchMachining
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

I would stay away from the RHS block personally like others have mentioned. The blocks cracking have become too common and they have not done anything worthwhile for the customers nor do they seem to admit there is a problem. If weight is a concern, contact ERL. If not, the latest revision of the GMPP LSX block seems to be doing quite well.
Old 04-21-2015, 03:37 PM
0ERL PERFORMANCE
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Erl lsx

This has not been advertised yet but ERL does offer short block builds based on LSX blocks. Price wise the ERL 6-Bolt blocks and LXS short blocks can be comparable. If you add all the machining cost that you need to finish the LSX block vs. all the machining that is included in the ERL Superdeck 6-Bolt block, they are not far from each other.
They are both good platforms that can work well for different applications. Of course we are a bit biased towards our block due to the weight and sleeve length but depending on the application the LSX block can be an option and we can machine the block and put it together for you!

Originally Posted by SquatchMachining
I would stay away from the RHS block personally like others have mentioned. The blocks cracking have become too common and they have not done anything worthwhile for the customers nor do they seem to admit there is a problem. If weight is a concern, contact ERL. If not, the latest revision of the GMPP LSX block seems to be doing quite well.
Old 04-21-2015, 05:11 PM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

I know the LSX requires quite a bit of machining to get the deck and bore where they need to be but I can't imagine it's anywhere near the ~$2000 price difference between the LSX and ERL (without core).

Quick Reply: RHS or ERL built short block?