C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MSD intake manifold and supercharging?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 08:20 PM
EuroRod
Race Director

Received 168 Likes on 66 Posts

Default MSD intake manifold and supercharging?

Has anyone used the MSD intake manifold in conjunction with their centri supercharger?

I am interested in using one in my current build and curious if there are others already using it, and their impressions and/or power gains, if any.
Also, will it withstand 12-15 pounds of pressure ?

Thanks.
Old 04-27-2015, 04:19 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

I don't think anyone has tried, and until you are in the 1100+rwhp range I doubt it would do anything. Once you get close to maxing out a big blower then mess with stuff like intakes. Spend your money elsewhere first.
Old 04-27-2015, 08:17 PM
EuroRod
Race Director

Originally Posted by Unreal
I don't think anyone has tried, and until you are in the 1100+rwhp range I doubt it would do anything. Once you get close to maxing out a big blower then mess with stuff like intakes. Spend your money elsewhere first.
After researching most of the day, I purchased a FAST 102 & a Nick Williams TB. More that one person told me that the quality of the $950 MSD manifold just did not impress them, and the FAST was the best route to go.
Old 04-27-2015, 08:43 PM
EvanZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,275 Likes on 1,193 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

Curious how much power you're currently making, and why you think you need an intake. I've read quite a few threads about people having issues with aftermarket intakes on forced induction LS motors.
Old 04-27-2015, 08:49 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by EuroRod
After researching most of the day, I purchased a FAST 102 & a Nick Williams TB. More that one person told me that the quality of the $950 MSD manifold just did not impress them, and the FAST was the best route to go.
Originally Posted by Evan70
Curious how much power you're currently making, and why you think you need an intake. I've read quite a few threads about people having issues with aftermarket intakes on forced induction LS motors.
I was about to say the same.. how many people here are making over 1000rwhp on the stock intake? A lot. The fast will leak like crazy and has a tendency to literally break under boost..

It's better than the heat sink you had on there before at least

They may be OK for NA builds, but I would cancel that order and put the money back in your pocket for something else. You can get a GM intake for like $200
Old 04-28-2015, 07:54 AM
EuroRod
Race Director

Originally Posted by schpenxel
I was about to say the same.. how many people here are making over 1000rwhp on the stock intake? A lot. The fast will leak like crazy and has a tendency to literally break under boost..

It's better than the heat sink you had on there before at least

They may be OK for NA builds, but I would cancel that order and put the money back in your pocket for something else. You can get a GM intake for like $200
I asked Brian Hinson about the rumors that the FAST manifolds have leakage issues and the possibility that it could burst, and he insured me that these ARE just rumors. If I have issues, I feel that he, and FAST, will stand behind it.
Old 04-28-2015, 02:12 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Rumors my ***. Seen 2 of them personally blow apart. Do whatever you want, but putting a fast on is the last thing I would do. Complete waste of money and just makes the car unreliable.
Old 04-28-2015, 02:30 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Rumors my ***. Seen 2 of them personally blow apart. Do whatever you want, but putting a fast on is the last thing I would do. Complete waste of money and just makes the car unreliable.
I wasn't going to bring your name up.. but I've seen you say you've seen them break, and I've seen ECS say the same thing, both of which I believe.

I just don't see the point, but hey, free country
Old 04-28-2015, 02:44 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Already posted pictures too many times. Not digging them up again. If a lot of people tested their intake for leaks I bet they would find the main oring leaking. Last one I saw was a Camaro with ls7 intake, one runner inside completely broken off, and 2 other runner hold downs broken. From the outside, couldn't tell anything. Guy was complaining it was down on power. Boost leak check had air spewing out the side of the intake because the big oring blew out. Opened it up and found the runners and bits of plastic from the runners laying in the bottom.
Old 04-28-2015, 03:45 PM
djfury05
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Agreed, ditch the Fast 102 and NW and stick with factory manifold.
Old 04-28-2015, 06:12 PM
Icevettez06
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by EuroRod
I asked Brian Hinson about the rumors that the FAST manifolds have leakage issues and the possibility that it could burst, and he insured me that these ARE just rumors. If I have issues, I feel that he, and FAST, will stand behind it.
I just change from Fast 92mm witch I did crake 2 times to Fast 102 which is build to hold 30 psi according to Fast.
If you compare Fast 92 to Fast 102 side by side then you will see big different in the strength of the build. You will make more power with Fast 102 than stock manifold no mater you are NA or blown motor. Better airflow through your motor to start will deliver more in the end.
Old 04-28-2015, 06:35 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

I saw zero difference when I put stock intake back on.

It isn't the plastic that comes apart, it is the orings. Most of them aren't exploding, just leaking. Some a little, some a lot. Some out to atmosphere between shells, others inside out from the runners back to the plenum.

No, adding a fast doesn't automatically add power. Blower spinning at 70k RPM moves a set amount of air, swapping the intake doesn't magically make the blower move more air.
Old 04-28-2015, 07:08 PM
Icevettez06
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I saw zero difference when I put stock intake back on.

It isn't the plastic that comes apart, it is the orings. Most of them aren't exploding, just leaking. Some a little, some a lot. Some out to atmosphere between shells, others inside out from the runners back to the plenum.

No, adding a fast doesn't automatically add power. Blower spinning at 70k RPM moves a set amount of air, swapping the intake doesn't magically make the blower move more air.
I did gain hp with changing intake. Me Fast 92 did crack on many paces on the lower part so bad that I could look through some of the crakes.
Old 04-29-2015, 03:02 PM
Pekka_Perkeles
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by schpenxel
I just don't see the point, but hey, free country
Exactly.

A bit offtopic, but of course we can all personally ignore threads that do not have the right answer.

I wouldn't bother with aftermarket intake, but it's just me and my opinion.
Old 04-29-2015, 04:31 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

If you are at a point where intake matters, just drop the money for a PMC or Wilson or go carb style.

Spending $1200+ when it can be put towards far better mods that help power and reliability, while not sacrificing reliability is where I would spend my money. If you are already in the 1500rwhp range, what is $2500 on a PMC intake, because you already have a $150k+ build at that point.
Old 04-29-2015, 06:19 PM
Proace4
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have personally seen a local c6 with a blown intake, car went lean and had some issues from it too.

I also saw a boosted GTO with a blown fast down at TX2K a couple years ago. To hear a company swear they are fine when there are many know failures with boost wouldn't be reassuring to me as the customer but maybe raise a red flag.

I am with UNREAL though, if you are to the point of needing an intake to squeeze out more power. Props to you and empty your piggy bank for a metal intake.

Get notified of new replies

To MSD intake manifold and supercharging?

Quick Reply: MSD intake manifold and supercharging?