C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disappointed w blower performance

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2015, 03:46 PM
DSteck
Safety Car

Received 83 Likes on 42 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by CI GS
Lots of expert's advice too!
Strange how that works on these forums. Some poor guy posts a thread with some problem he's experiencing with his car. Then some members jump in to offer some words of encouragement or advice, then before you know it, they're being flamed or scoffed at because they were trying to help, admittedly within their own limitations.
I sometimes wonder what some members think these forums are intended for? An advertisement platform for their latest gadgets and gimmicks, perhaps?
IDK who else on this thread could be accused of purporting to be an expert, but I certainly wasn't.
Hopefully, the OP will get his car sorted soon. Maybe, just maybe, some sarcasm will help him cure it.
The problem is misinformation from people "just trying to help". I wasn't going to make specific examples so as to spare people's feelings.
The following users liked this post:
Arctic Vette (09-30-2015)
Old 05-03-2015, 04:03 PM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Received 1,110 Likes on 780 Posts

Originally Posted by DSteck
The problem is misinformation from people "just trying to help". I wasn't going to make specific examples so as to spare people's feelings.
You don't need to worry about sparing my feelings. I have engaged in much acrimony and invective for over 20 years in a profession where that is par for the course.
But, pray tell, how do you categorize advice along the lines of "check with your tuner and the kit builder" and "it may be this or that" as "misinformation"?
Clearly that doesn't fit the definition in any dictionary or in any context I can think of?
It is patently obvious from the OP said that he wasn't going to tear into this thing himself, but was more or less looking to express his frustration and see if anyone had any idea as to what it could be, so it really is hard to see how that could pose a "problem" for anyone.
In any event, and obviously most importantly, "the problem" isn't "misinformation". The problem is a bad running car, according to its owner.
Maybe focusing on that, rather that tearing into others that have somehow seemingly offended you, would be more in keeping with the spirit and character of what these forums were intended for - helping other members. That's just my 2 cents...
Old 05-03-2015, 04:34 PM
DSteck
Safety Car

Tech Contributor

Let me tell you a story.

A guy had a 4L80 installed and tuned in his car by somebody else. They set it up with a PCS controller, and it never ran right. Nobody could access the PCS to try and edit it.

I built a T42 conversion for it and got it running, but the TCC was shot and would never lock. It all had to come apart. After it was reinstalled, the converter would lock finally. This lasted a couple hundred miles before the trans burned up. The owner took to the internet, where everybody told him all sorts of things that they knew had to be wrong, especially the tune. Hundreds of online comments later and burned bridges from being totally convinced the tune was wrong, it ended up being that the trans was always under filled because the original person who put it all together used a 4L60 dipstick instead of a 4L80.

But the internet know better because they have good intentions.

If he was losing fuel pressure, it would scatter the engine from being lean in boost. An unintended throttle closing would set off Reduced Engine Power, and torque management is hard when it engages (plus it's all been eliminated anyway).

I would bet the farm on it just being extremely hot. Epi wanted durability. This is part of it, and I can absolutely kill the IAT reduction, but it comes at the expense of increased risk.
Old 05-03-2015, 07:58 PM
Pitufina
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

I certainly appreciate the advice and words of encouragement that some are willing to type. I picked Dave to tune my car because He knows what he's doing and is highly recommended in every LSx forum and HPTuners of course. Like he said, I wanted a safe tune and nothing on the ragged edge. I bumped some ideas and concerns with him within the past couple of days, and in the past and he has ALWAYS responded almost instantly to my sometimes dumb texts lol

I had to leave town and I just made it to Alabama. This is the second long trip for this car in less than 3 months and it drove just fine. One thing I noticed is that the temps are running in the 200-214 on the highway and I thought it was odd. I remember seeing 179-185. Could it be the warmer temps in the south compared to the midwest? Would an aluminum radiator help the engine recover faster? Meaning less heat soaking and possibly help underhood temps and in turn help to keep the IaT temps down? I may have to reconsider the no meth idea and just suck it up.

Also I told Dave that I found the rear 02 sensors were connected incorrectly. He doesn't think that it should affect anything, but I noticed the engine is snappier now. It could be in all my head though lol Something I noticed was that in the last couple of weeks after installing the rxt clutch the vacuum on the highway while crusing was - 4 or - 5 and it required more pedal input for the slightest hill. I was used to see -7 or -8 and today on my way here I was seeing exactly that. All I've done was reconnect the o2 sensors in the right place.

I tried the br7efs for fridays run and the one thing I noticed is that the idle is crap. Otherwise the feel exactly the same as I was using the the ZR1 delco iridiums and the idle is so much better. I want to buy the HPTuners and start logging myself. Dave recommended the NGK TR7s and gave me this part number#4091, but he wasn't completely certain if that's the right one. Can anyone confirm this?

Last edited by Pitufina; 05-03-2015 at 08:08 PM.
Old 05-03-2015, 08:29 PM
MikePD
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yea something is off.. not belt slip? you pull filter hat off and check for any obstructions? like stated that is an easy 130+ trap setup
Old 05-03-2015, 08:31 PM
Streetk14
Melting Slicks

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by DSteck

If he was losing fuel pressure, it would scatter the engine from being lean in boost.
I would bet the farm on it just being extremely hot. Epi wanted durability. This is part of it, and I can absolutely kill the IAT reduction, but it comes at the expense of increased risk.
While you know I respect your opinion Dave, I've had a couple of my own cars that had fuel pump issues that caused them to simply fall on their face at higher RPMs. The most severe issue was on a Magnacharged LS1 '67 Camaro I built some years back. Had a pump cavitation type issue that would show up after longer drives in warmer weather. It had a return style fuel system with a rail-mounted GM regulator. Fabbed stainless fuel tank with a 255 Walbro inside. The fuel would heat up over time and eventually cause it to totally lose power if you went WOT and put enough demand on the fuel system. Filling the tank with cool fuel or letting it sit long enough would resolve the issue.

I think you'll agree that without logs it's pretty tough for anyone to say for sure what's going on. Guys were throwing out possible ideas (maybe not great ones, lol), but I don't see too much wrong with that. You're probably right about the heat, though, and you'd know better than anyone since you set up the IAT/spark tables. I'd be curious to see what kind of timing he's actually seeing on one of these passes.
Old 05-03-2015, 08:42 PM
Streetk14
Melting Slicks

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Pitufina
I had to leave town and I just made it to Alabama. This is the second long trip for this car in less than 3 months and it drove just fine. One thing I noticed is that the temps are running in the 200-214 on the highway and I thought it was odd. I remember seeing 179-185. Could it be the warmer temps in the south compared to the midwest? Would an aluminum radiator help the engine recover faster? Meaning less heat soaking and possibly help underhood temps and in turn help to keep the IaT temps down? I may have to reconsider the no meth idea and just suck it up.
Just my 2 cents, but I like upgrading the radiator on any FI C6. I've been pretty amazed at how well the DeWitts radiators have worked on my two C6 builds. Drove my A&A car ~200 miles through the desert to run at a 1/2 mile event. Made a bunch of 165 MPH passes in 90+ degree heat, then drove it ~200 miles home in the afternoon heat. On the way home, I had the windows up, A/C on, and coolant temps were staying in the 180 degree range.

Everyone has their own opinion on coolant temps. For emissions and engine longevity, hotter is probably better. For knock resistance and power production, I feel lower is probably better. With these blower cars -- and especially the PD blower I have now -- I do think keeping the coolant temps lower does help with IATs in most situations. Of course, meth is the ultimate IAT solution for an ECS car.

I like iridium plugs myself. If Dave wants you to run a "7" range plug, maybe try an NGK TR7ix? That's basically an iridium version of the TR7.
Old 05-03-2015, 08:57 PM
Pitufina
Drifting

Originally Posted by MikePD
yea something is off.. not belt slip? you pull filter hat off and check for any obstructions? like stated that is an easy 130+ trap setup
hi Mike!
No I did not pulled the filter but took of the heat shield to see if there was something obviously out of the ordinary. I know the potential is there just got to figure if there's an actual problem or its just needs to be tuned more aggressively lol
Old 05-03-2015, 09:06 PM
Pitufina
Drifting

Originally Posted by Streetk14
While you know I respect your opinion Dave, I've had a couple of my own cars that had fuel pump issues that caused them to simply fall on their face at higher RPMs. The most severe issue was on a Magnacharged LS1 '67 Camaro I built some years back. Had a pump cavitation type issue that would show up after longer drives in warmer weather. It had a return style fuel system with a rail-mounted GM regulator. Fabbed stainless fuel tank with a 255 Walbro inside. The fuel would heat up over time and eventually cause it to totally lose power if you went WOT and put enough demand on the fuel system. Filling the tank with cool fuel or letting it sit long enough would resolve the issue.

I think you'll agree that without logs it's pretty tough for anyone to say for sure what's going on. Guys were throwing out possible ideas (maybe not great ones, lol), but I don't see too much wrong with that. You're probably right about the heat, though, and you'd know better than anyone since you set up the IAT/spark tables. I'd be curious to see what kind of timing he's actually seeing on one of these passes.
Now that you mentioned the fuel pump getting warm. I don't know if it's just coincidence but I used the smell the gases coming out out of the exhaust bad and lately the smell seems to be gone. Would a warmer climate help with that smell?

Originally Posted by Streetk14
Just my 2 cents, but I like upgrading the radiator on any FI C6. I've been pretty amazed at how well the DeWitts radiators have worked on my two C6 builds. Drove my A&A car ~200 miles through the desert to run at a 1/2 mile event. Made a bunch of 165 MPH passes in 90+ degree heat, then drove it ~200 miles home in the afternoon heat. On the way home, I had the windows up, A/C on, and coolant temps were staying in the 180 degree range.

Everyone has their own opinion on coolant temps. For emissions and engine longevity, hotter is probably better. For knock resistance and power production, I feel lower is probably better. With these blower cars -- and especially the PD blower I have now -- I do think keeping the coolant temps lower does help with IATs in most situations. Of course, meth is the ultimate IAT solution for an ECS car.

I like iridium plugs myself. If Dave wants you to run a "7" range plug, maybe try an NGK TR7ix? That's basically an iridium version of the TR7.
I asked Dave about those and he told me the copper ones. A Dewitts is what I have in mind.
I have a Diablosport tuner and I forgot about it. I can use it to do some basic datalogging. I'm about to get real busy here, but if I can find the time I will give it a try.
Old 05-03-2015, 10:29 PM
2019 ZR1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 447 Likes on 315 Posts

Sounds to me like you should try a different kind of wax. Some of theses newer waxes are heavy and slow the vehicle down. I believe there is a thread about it on here..
Old 05-03-2015, 10:36 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by 2013 Z06
Sounds to me like you should try a different kind of wax. Some of theses newer waxes are heavy and slow the vehicle down. I believe there is a thread about it on here..
I remember hearing about this too, so it has to be true
Old 05-04-2015, 09:40 AM
NormWild
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

You still running catalytic convertors?
Old 05-04-2015, 10:12 AM
dev1360
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

My fault on the rear o2s lol. But they only read catalytic converter efficiency. They are turned off on your car from the tune. You could actually unhook and remove them for race weight! Lol
Old 05-04-2015, 10:15 AM
FormulaLS1
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2013 Z06
Old 05-04-2015, 12:55 PM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,085 Likes on 656 Posts

Pitufina, you are in good hands with your tuner, let him do his thing. If I can help let me know.
Old 05-04-2015, 06:50 PM
Pitufina
Drifting

Originally Posted by NormWild
You still running catalytic convertors?
Nope
Old 05-04-2015, 06:51 PM
Pitufina
Drifting

Originally Posted by dev1360
My fault on the rear o2s lol. But they only read catalytic converter efficiency. They are turned off on your car from the tune. You could actually unhook and remove them for race weight! Lol
Hey! Shhhh I never mentioned any names lol

Get notified of new replies

To Disappointed w blower performance

Old 05-04-2015, 06:53 PM
Pitufina
Drifting

Originally Posted by DOUG @ ECS
Pitufina, you are in good hands with your tuner, let him do his thing. If I can help let me know.
Doug,
Like always, I appreciate your willingness to help. It looks like an alky control kit and a radiator are in my near future.
Old 05-04-2015, 08:54 PM
Pitufina
Drifting

Those with a DeWitts radiator and an ECS kit. Do you have the standard size radiator or the shorty? If you run the shorty, do you have an aftermarket fan too? Thanks.
Old 05-05-2015, 01:50 AM
DSteck
Safety Car

Tech Contributor

Just do a meth kit and don't worry about the radiator.
The following users liked this post:
Arctic Vette (09-30-2015)

Quick Reply: Disappointed w blower performance