C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disappointed w blower performance

Old 05-08-2015, 09:29 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,193 Likes on 1,052 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by Pitufina
You got it man! What happens here is that when I'm at the track waiting on the lines, there's no flow of air through the intercooler. Once I do the burnout the IATs go even higher when the boost hits. By the time I leave the line the IATs are around 130* and since I asked Dave to tune it safely for durability the ECM is certainly pulling timing. It doesn't help that max is set at 11-12*.
The good news is that an Alky Meth kit is on the way and that should take care of the safety concern and power loss.
Good to see I'm not the only one running timing that low
Old 09-03-2015, 06:54 PM
Pitufina
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Just wanted to do a quick update on this thread. Yesterday I went to the track again and without the meth installed. I actually wanted to confirm that the little knock I was seeing was in fact false knock. So last time when I created this thread I ran a best of 11.06@119 with a DA of about 500, 1.72 60ft and 145 IATs. Last night was hot and humid and when I got there the DA was about 2500. I let her cool down as much as I could, probably 1hr and by the time I ran the DA was 1980 so this time I ran 11.01@124, 1.77 60ft and 165 IATs.

So now I'm a little more happy since I know that once I install the alky kit, I'll get my 10s and 130+mph no problem. Both ocassions I ran those times with timing being pulled to begin with and yesterday the temps were in the high 70s. Whew! I was very close to remove the sc kit and go back to cam only.

So today I ordered some meth from the dealer and probably will have the kit installed in about a week or so.
Old 09-03-2015, 08:59 PM
timmyZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 262 Likes on 215 Posts

well that is some good news!! Im sure all the problems can be solved with Meth!!
With that said,IMO you only have upside side with meth, Good kit like the ECS ALKY and a good tune from Dave, and you'll be setted hard! now enjoy a CONSTANT level of power. Meth is really inexpensive, that is why a lot of people like to use meth...
Old 09-04-2015, 12:06 AM
Pitufina
Drifting

Originally Posted by timmyZ06
well that is some good news!! Im sure all the problems can be solved with Meth!!
With that said,IMO you only have upside side with meth, Good kit like the ECS ALKY and a good tune from Dave, and you'll be setted hard! now enjoy a CONSTANT level of power. Meth is really inexpensive, that is why a lot of people like to use meth...
Now I see why everyone raves about using meth. I just hope to resist the temptation of opening or removing the restrictor.
Old 09-04-2015, 12:08 AM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Now I see why everyone raves about using meth. I just hope to resist the temptation of opening or removing the restrictor.
Good luck

Glad to see you're happy with it though and not pulling the blower off. I think you'll like it w/meth. I don't fill mine up very often so it's not nearly the hassle some try to make it out to be. I just get a 5 gallon container every now and then and every week or two dump some in the washer tank and there ya go. I've only ran out once
Old 09-09-2015, 08:40 PM
GeneSch
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

I had a similar issue on my z06. The car was faster stock then it was boosted (at the track). First set up was ECS on 4# was really over kill on keeping it safe. When I added meth and more boost it really changed the car. With the meth it really helps cut down on the heat soaking side of things. I have not had a chance to track the car, traction is a issue.
Point is, I would not recommend a blower unless meth is added. It really is a game changer. I was un happy but know my friends are un happy....
Old 09-09-2015, 08:55 PM
Pitufina
Drifting

Originally Posted by GeneSch
I had a similar issue on my z06. The car was faster stock then it was boosted (at the track). First set up was ECS on 4# was really over kill on keeping it safe. When I added meth and more boost it really changed the car. With the meth it really helps cut down on the heat soaking side of things. I have not had a chance to track the car, traction is a issue.
Point is, I would not recommend a blower unless meth is added. It really is a game changer. I was un happy but know my friends are un happy....
I hear you man. I was somewhat against the meth idea but now I know that I really need it, especially during the hotter months. I had a sc mustang in the past but back then I didn't know as much as I know now...still learning though, and I remember the car being a dog once the temps outside were over 70*.
Old 09-09-2015, 10:16 PM
PCMusicGuy
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 222 Posts

Good to hear. Also, thanks to DSteck for telling me to look into the adiabatic process. I did electrical engineering in college and never needed to read much into thermodynamics. Seems interesting.
Old 09-09-2015, 10:36 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,260 Likes on 1,055 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

it sounds like you're going to use meth to make power and not just for safety... if that is the case I bet you would have even more fun if you take the donut out of your inlet... as stated above, meth will really help out with heat soak... I could only wish for 70 degree temps where I'm at, even with 90 plus degree temps my car will pull hard after consecutive runs and not skip a beat... if I didn't have meth I'm positive the results would not be the same
Old 09-09-2015, 11:14 PM
Pitufina
Drifting

I have everything I need at this point to make the changes if I were to increase boost. I'm just a little concerned with the fuel system. I don't trust the BAP and wished I had installed a better fuel system. I know the meth works as a fuel source but that that's still not enough to convince me. If I do increase the boost I am just going to open up the restrictor to 2.875" and that should put me at 11psi. All I want at this point is consistency and hopefully mid 10s before I work my way down to low 10s. The less mods or power I can use to get there the better in my opinion.
Old 09-09-2015, 11:25 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Default Disappointed w blower performance

You can trust a Bap if it's installed well. A racetronix harness is the best bang for the buck I've ever seen in the Vette world.
Made over 700 with a Z06 pump, BAP and harness for a long time with no issues. I still run that same BAP today even with a bigger fuel system in place.
Old 09-10-2015, 01:47 AM
neverstop
Melting Slicks

Received 108 Likes on 102 Posts

ECS stage 1 fuel system is super easy to install and doesn't require dropping the tank, and easy to upgrade if you want later but of course the meth kit will add fuel and help you on that front.
Old 09-10-2015, 08:21 PM
Pitufina
Drifting

Originally Posted by realcanuk
You can trust a Bap if it's installed well. A racetronix harness is the best bang for the buck I've ever seen in the Vette world.
Made over 700 with a Z06 pump, BAP and harness for a long time with no issues. I still run that same BAP today even with a bigger fuel system in place.
I have the racetronix harness. Glad to hear it works fine for you.
Old 09-13-2015, 03:49 PM
NormWild
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Yep, and thing is most people don't realize how much timing is being pulled. Many get tuned in the cool air of spring/fall and don't realize they aren't making near that power in the summer or after some heat soak.
Old 09-13-2015, 04:32 PM
Pitufina
Drifting

Originally Posted by NormWild
Yep, and thing is most people don't realize how much timing is being pulled. Many get tuned in the cool air of spring/fall and don't realize they aren't making near that power in the summer or after some heat soak.
You are damn on point! Mine was tuned early Nov last year and I know the temps were somewhere between 40-50s. I don't remember the last time I rolled on the throttle in 3rd and it went sideways. Temps definitely makes a huge difference on these engines.
Old 09-13-2015, 07:09 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

The whole going sideways while rolling into 3rd at 70+mph thing isn't quite as fun as I had anticipated Happened to me this morning.
The following users liked this post:
m60gov20 (11-19-2020)
Old 09-13-2015, 07:24 PM
Arctic Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by schpenxel
The whole going sideways while rolling into 3rd at 70+mph thing isn't quite as fun as I had anticipated Happened to me this morning.
Pedal er..

Get notified of new replies

To Disappointed w blower performance

Old 09-13-2015, 08:09 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by Arctic Vette
Pedal er..
That smaller pulley you sent me is responsible!
Old 09-13-2015, 08:12 PM
Arctic Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by schpenxel
That smaller pulley you sent me is responsible!
Fun times shall commence!
Old 09-13-2015, 08:53 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,260 Likes on 1,055 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Arctic Vette
Pedal er..
better tires will also help but as much as he drives his car he would probably wear out a set of tires that would solve his traction problems in less than a year

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Disappointed w blower performance