C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disappointed w blower performance

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2015, 12:58 PM
Pitufina
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts
Default From disappointment to hope! Meth cures it all!!

I went to the 1/4 last Wednesday and ran a best of 11.06@119!!! To some this would be a great time but for me it's just lame. Sorry but I ran 11.32@123 without the blower. Something was happening that it was nosing down in 3rd gear and it simply felt slow. I had some knock on the street even though my timing is set very conservative and I always run shell 93.
So last night I went to the track again with new one step colder br7efs and skinnies in the front which I never used before even when n/a and althought the it was pulling cleanly to max rpms the track was completely crap!! My best 60ft were 1.80 and missing 3rd I got 11.69@121. The car will simply blow the tires even at 15psi on my MTs.
Attached are the timeslips from Wednesday. Read them from right to left. The DA was around 1000 on Wednesday and around 400 last night. I honestly want to sell the blower. It seems like I have to deal with engine heat soak or high IATs during each run. So the performance at the track will be marginal compared to the street and when n/a. My buddy also ran 10.86@128 Wednesday on his 09 cam only, halltech, full exhaust, 4.10 gears and drag pack. We were very close to each other while n/a and now just beat me!! I really don't want to do meth since it's another system to worry about. I'm just beyond disappointed and feel that I just wasted my money.

Last edited by Pitufina; 10-06-2015 at 08:49 PM.
Old 05-02-2015, 01:24 PM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Received 1,110 Likes on 780 Posts

Sorry to hear that man. That really sucks. There's something really wrong here.
What kind of blower setup is it, and what else do you have done to the car?
If it's spinning violently (like I am now after a Heartbeat install) then for sure it will most likely ET less, but your trap speed should be significantly higher than before, not lower!
Who did the install and who tuned it? If it was someone other than you, what are they saying? If it's nosing down in 3rd, that sounds like a serious fueling problem. Better check that out. Are you monitoring fuel pressure? Could be your pump is failing.
Something is seriously off here. There's no way that your car shouldn't be trapping at least 130+mph now, no matter what kind of blower/boost you're running and no matter what the change in DA is, IMV.
Old 05-02-2015, 04:19 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

sub'd
Old 05-02-2015, 06:40 PM
helga203
Safety Car

Received 434 Likes on 373 Posts

[QUOTE=Pitufina;1589547261]I went to the 1/4 last Wednesday and ran a best of 11.06@119!!! To some this would be a great time but for me it's just lame. Sorry but I ran 11.32@123 without the blower. Something was happening that it was nosing down in 3rd gear and it simply felt slow. I had some knock on the street even though my timing is set very conservative and I always run shell 93.
So last night I went to the track again with new one step colder br7efs and skinnies in the front which I never used before even when n/a and althought the it was pulling cleanly to max rpms the track was completely crap!! My best 60ft were 1.80 and missing 3rd I got 11.69@121. The car will simply blow the tires even at 15psi on my MTs.
Attached are the timeslips from Wednesday. Read them from right to left. The DA was around 1000 on Wednesday and around 400 last night. I honestly want to sell the blower. It seems like I have to deal with engine heat soak or high IATs during each run. So the performance at the track will be marginal compared to the street and when n/a. My buddy also ran 10.86@128 Wednesday on his 09 cam only, halltech, full exhaust, 4.10 gears and drag pack. We were very close to each other while n/a and now just beat me!! I really don't want to do meth since it's another system to worry about. I'm just beyond disappointed and feel that I just wasted my money.
[/QUOTE Since your not running meth i would bet your IAT's are getting high and probably the way the tune is set up it's pulling timing.
Old 05-02-2015, 06:55 PM
Pitufina
Drifting

Originally Posted by CI GS
Sorry to hear that man. That really sucks. There's something really wrong here.
What kind of blower setup is it, and what else do you have done to the car?
If it's spinning violently (like I am now after a Heartbeat install) then for sure it will most likely ET less, but your trap speed should be significantly higher than before, not lower!
Who did the install and who tuned it? If it was someone other than you, what are they saying? If it's nosing down in 3rd, that sounds like a serious fueling problem. Better check that out. Are you monitoring fuel pressure? Could be your pump is failing.
Something is seriously off here. There's no way that your car shouldn't be trapping at least 130+mph now, no matter what kind of blower/boost you're running and no matter what the change in DA is, IMV.
It's an ecs kit. I installed everything myself and Dave Steck tuned it. I have a dashlogic but have not being able to install a wideband yet. Car has a cam that was cut for n/a and ran great while na and now with the blower too. I think something is happening while at the track because on the street the car is a beast. At the track is a different story and I dont know why. Heatsoak and high IATs are the norm at the track. Yesterday the car just blew away the tires. I'm going to have to buy me the hp software to datalog.

Last edited by Pitufina; 05-02-2015 at 07:20 PM.
Old 05-02-2015, 07:57 PM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Pitufina
It's an ecs kit. I installed everything myself and Dave Steck tuned it. I have a dashlogic but have not being able to install a wideband yet. Car has a cam that was cut for n/a and ran great while na and now with the blower too. I think something is happening while at the track because on the street the car is a beast. At the track is a different story and I dont know why. Heatsoak and high IATs are the norm at the track. Yesterday the car just blew away the tires. I'm going to have to buy me the hp software to datalog.
Something's not right there. From all that I've seen on these forums, you certainly have the right kit and the right tuner to make that thing runs low 10s at 135+ with ease before even touching meth. You definitely need to datalog it. Might also be something stupid like the throttle body closing on you or something?
I'll bet it's something simple in the tune and you'll soon get it sorted and be grinning from ear to ear.
Keep us apprised of how it goes. Wish there was more I could do to help, but I don't have any real experience with ECS kits.
Old 05-02-2015, 08:06 PM
lsxvette
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

what blowoff valve ? is it sticking ?
Old 05-02-2015, 08:11 PM
Pitufina
Drifting

Originally Posted by CI GS
Something's not right there. From all that I've seen on these forums, you certainly have the right kit and the right tuner to make that thing runs low 10s at 135+ with ease before even touching meth. You definitely need to datalog it. Might also be something stupid like the throttle body closing on you or something?
I'll bet it's something simple in the tune and you'll soon get it sorted and be grinning from ear to ear.
Keep us apprised of how it goes. Wish there was more I could do to help, but I don't have any real experience with ECS kits.
I found that the rear 02 sensors were not crossed like they're supposed to, although Dave doesnt think that could've caused any issues. I think like you and expected to run a high 10@135+ while I find out what the car liked.
I'm going out of state for about a month and half for some military school so no more testing for a while.

I was hoping that even with ****** 60ft my mph would be high but that wasnt the case. I may have to drop her off with dave when I get back. If it turns out to be high IATs or heat soaking well I may have to reconsider the meth. If it's running out of fuel well an upgrade will have to be done.
Old 05-02-2015, 11:19 PM
Pitufina
Drifting

Originally Posted by lsxvette
what blowoff valve ? is it sticking ?
Is the Tial Qr. How can I test that? I was thinking about getting a regular Tial since I think the Qr is a little bit restrictive.
Old 05-02-2015, 11:45 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

Something definitely WAY wrong.. I'd start out with a compression/leak down test.. If that checks out, then start logging...

Even spinning the tires hard, your mph should have been atleast 10 mph higher...(unless you were still spinning at like half track..LOL).

FWIW my buddy's 2012 GS with only a cam/exh/converter went 11.0@126 just a couple Friday's ago in +1000' DA... It made 495 rwhp locked.

Either yours is hurt, you are getting major KR or the throttle is closing on you some....something weird. Need to make sure youre not getting belt slip or boost leaks etc etc... Time to start some serious logging and reading plugs.

Your mph is what a bolt on LS3 runs..

Even on an off day, I would expect you to go 10.30s@132+..and that's on the slow end of where it "should" be...
Old 05-03-2015, 02:15 AM
Pitufina
Drifting

Originally Posted by ajrothm
Something definitely WAY wrong.. I'd start out with a compression/leak down test.. If that checks out, then start logging...

Even spinning the tires hard, your mph should have been atleast 10 mph higher...(unless you were still spinning at like half track..LOL).

FWIW my buddy's 2012 GS with only a cam/exh/converter went 11.0@126 just a couple Friday's ago in +1000' DA... It made 495 rwhp locked.

Either yours is hurt, you are getting major KR or the throttle is closing on you some....something weird. Need to make sure youre not getting belt slip or boost leaks etc etc... Time to start some serious logging and reading plugs.

Your mph is what a bolt on LS3 runs..

Even on an off day, I would expect you to go 10.30s@132+..and that's on the slow end of where it "should" be...
Totally agreed! The car runs really strong on the street which makes me think is KR, heat soaked and high IATs. The question is why? I have checked for boost leaks and the clamps are tight with no sign or distortion or leaks. Also there's no sign of belt slip, since there's no belt dust and the belt seems pretty tight. I did experience some kr on the street and Dave Steck told me that he was surprised since it is tuned very conservative. He told me that it could be false kr but from what? I know at the track the engine noticeably felt like after 6.5k was losing major power specially while in 3rd which is the longest gear. It felt like the timing was being retarded. I just hate the fact that I spent about $6k to run slower. I baby the car on the street 90% of the time. So I doubt that it could be hurt. Only thing I noticed differently lately is that it uses more gas for whatever reason. I installed an rxt recently as well and was excited for my upcoming 10sec run...bummer!!
Old 05-03-2015, 02:22 AM
Pitufina
Drifting

What can cause the IATs to get high so quick in the middle of a run? With the temps in the low 50s and after my burnout of course my coolant temps are by that point around 210 but the IATs shoot up to over 133 by half track!!
Old 05-03-2015, 02:36 AM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

Originally Posted by Pitufina
What can cause the IATs to get high so quick in the middle of a run? With the temps in the low 50s and after my burnout of course my coolant temps are by that point around 210 but the IATs shoot up to over 133 by half track!!
133* isn't really THAT bad, especially for no meth...however it is probably hotter then it should be for only 1/8 mile and no harder then what you are pushing the blower. Your KR vs. IAT threshold may be set pretty low... If Dave set it to start yanking timing at 120*, then you're probably retarding pretty good by the traps... That being said, even with KR, your MPH should be way higher... You aren't losing 200hp from timing retard....

Why not just put meth on it, stay on top of the kit's monitoring and maintenance and it will be fine... It will help with KR a bunch.

I would pressurize the blower inlet and the whole intake system up to about 15 psi with regulated air, go over everything with soapy water and look for leaks. Also make sure the BOV is sealing off well under boost.

For the 200+ HP you are missing, I'd be looking for something SIGNIFICANT honestly..

What did Dave say about it? At this point, you could pull the blower off and go faster...LOL

BTW, they ALL "feel" fast on the street... That car doesn't know if its on the street or the track so likely its running the same everywhere.

Check all the obvious stuff, if all checks out well, then get it back on the dyno and see where its at...
Old 05-03-2015, 07:33 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Tires
Old 05-03-2015, 09:14 AM
DSteck
Safety Car

Received 83 Likes on 42 Posts
Tech Contributor

Lotta experts here.
The following users liked this post:
Arctic Vette (09-30-2015)
Old 05-03-2015, 09:46 AM
Turbo2L
Drifting

Received 110 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by DSteck
Lotta experts here.
Boom.
Old 05-03-2015, 09:55 AM
C U IN REARVEIW
Le Mans Master

Received 110 Likes on 101 Posts

in for results

Get notified of new replies

To Disappointed w blower performance

Old 05-03-2015, 02:05 PM
BoosTTed C6
Pro

Received 65 Likes on 48 Posts

Call Doug with install questions/troubleshooting. Have someone else near you familiar with the kit check your install. Deal with Dsteck re: everything else. Too many cooks in the kitchen otherwise.
Old 05-03-2015, 02:29 PM
helga203
Safety Car

Received 434 Likes on 373 Posts

Lotta experts here.
LMFAO.. Just want to say i'm guilty as well.

Last edited by helga203; 05-03-2015 at 04:34 PM.
Old 05-03-2015, 03:18 PM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Lotta experts here.
Lots of expert's advice too!
Strange how that works on these forums. Some poor guy posts a thread with some problem he's experiencing with his car. Then some members jump in to offer some words of encouragement or advice, then before you know it, they're being flamed or scoffed at because they were trying to help, admittedly within their own limitations.
I sometimes wonder what some members think these forums are intended for? An advertisement platform for their latest gadgets and gimmicks, perhaps?
IDK who else on this thread could be accused of purporting to be an expert, but I certainly wasn't.
Hopefully, the OP will get his car sorted soon. Maybe, just maybe, some sarcasm will help him cure it.
The following users liked this post:
AIR_RAM (06-11-2016)

Quick Reply: Disappointed w blower performance