C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust/pulley upgrade to Edelbrock blown GS

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 07:50 PM
WA 2 FST
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 556 Likes on 359 Posts

Default Exhaust/pulley upgrade to Edelbrock blown GS

Well it didn't take me long, but in an effort to make the package more efficient, I'm having some LT headers/hi-flow cats installed along with a smaller blower pulley (to effectively gain back the boost that will be lost once the exhaust is freed up), and a Z06 in-tank fuel pump installed to make sure fuel delivery is no issue.

Car in question is a '12 GS A6 trans car with the LPE 670hp Edelbrock Supercharger package. LPE heads, GT9 cam.

It made 588rwhp STD on one dyno, but after I took it to my trusted tuner (21st Century Musclecars...forum vendor), it was found to be a bit lean, and it made 568rwhp SAE all buttoned up and safe on 93 octane.

I'd like to think I'd pick up another 30rwhp/30rwtq out of this ... we'll see. Ordering the parts now, should be done by the end of next week, and i'll report back.
Old 05-19-2015, 02:26 PM
WA 2 FST
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Decided just to do headers + catted X-pipe

Due to the fact it was determined I'd need larger injectors (and that I already have the 3.25" pulley... I thought it was a 3.5"), it was decided to just do headers and hi-flow cat X-pipe.

I'm not trying to set records with this car, but am happy with trouble-free performance in lieu of ragged edge. Later on, I can upgrade the injectors and go to a 3.0" pulley... that might give me another 25rwhp.

Went from a safe 568rwhp/506rwtq to an equally safe (if not moreso b/c boost has dropped with the header install) 598rwhp/531rwtq, so the gains with headers over stock manifolds is across the entire rpm range... nice.

Had the trusted tuner (Matt) at 21st Century Musclecars (forum vendor) make sure all was in good shape as far as the tune goes and he did his magic on the A6 tranny tune as well, so the car runs fantastic.

In 2nd gear from a 40mph punch, it hooks up surprisingly well (it is 80^F here today, so that helps) with the Eagle F1s. They are very new (were on the car when I bought it), and I may sell them in go with the RE-11s, even though that's a non-RF tire.
Old 05-19-2015, 02:51 PM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Received 1,336 Likes on 945 Posts

Your fuel system is a Z06 pump by itself... no boost-a-pump?
Old 05-19-2015, 03:03 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,193 Likes on 1,052 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by WA 2 FST
Due to the fact it was determined I'd need larger injectors (and that I already have the 3.25" pulley... I thought it was a 3.5"), it was decided to just do headers and hi-flow cat X-pipe.

I'm not trying to set records with this car, but am happy with trouble-free performance in lieu of ragged edge. Later on, I can upgrade the injectors and go to a 3.0" pulley... that might give me another 25rwhp.

Went from a safe 568rwhp/506rwtq to an equally safe (if not moreso b/c boost has dropped with the header install) 598rwhp/531rwtq, so the gains with headers over stock manifolds is across the entire rpm range... nice.

Had the trusted tuner (Matt) at 21st Century Musclecars (forum vendor) make sure all was in good shape as far as the tune goes and he did his magic on the A6 tranny tune as well, so the car runs fantastic.

In 2nd gear from a 40mph punch, it hooks up surprisingly well (it is 80^F here today, so that helps) with the Eagle F1s. They are very new (were on the car when I bought it), and I may sell them in go with the RE-11s, even though that's a non-RF tire.
Boost being higher or lower is not really a good measure of it being safer or not... Cylinder pressures are what matter, and I doubt you'd have more HP unless those are higher.

Regardless, 600rwhp is a fun ride
Old 05-19-2015, 03:26 PM
Seadawg
Safety Car

Received 155 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by old motorhead
I've been told that the Z06 fuel pump will handle up to about 600 rwhp, but what are your thoughts?

I'm planning on doing a similar setup to this on my GS MN6 eventually, and I will monitor fuel pressure, but was only planning on using my existing Z06 fuel pump.

Should I rethink this?
Old 05-19-2015, 04:03 PM
WA 2 FST
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by schpenxel
Boost being higher or lower is not really a good measure of it being safer or not... Cylinder pressures are what matter, and I doubt you'd have more HP unless those are higher.

Regardless, 600rwhp is a fun ride
That is true, although I'm guessing dynamic CR is lower, correct? Can definitely run more timing now... which, to your point, can/will increase cylinder pressure.
Old 05-19-2015, 04:05 PM
WA 2 FST
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by old motorhead
Sorry, I wasn't clear. It had a BAP with stock pump before. Now it has a BAP and Z06 pump.
Old 05-19-2015, 06:48 PM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Seadawg
I've been told that the Z06 fuel pump will handle up to about 600 rwhp, but what are your thoughts?

I'm planning on doing a similar setup to this on my GS MN6 eventually, and I will monitor fuel pressure, but was only planning on using my existing Z06 fuel pump.

Should I rethink this?
I think Edelbrock says it's good to 599 engine hp. At 600 rwhp, you're at 660+ engine hp. You might get by with just the pump on the 3.5" pulley. If you upgrade to the 3.25", I'd sure add a BAP.
Old 05-19-2015, 06:57 PM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by WA 2 FST
That is true, although I'm guessing dynamic CR is lower, correct? Can definitely run more timing now... which, to your point, can/will increase cylinder pressure.
DCR can change with a camshaft swap or anything you do to change the static compression ratio. You won't change it with boost changes. Nothing you do on the front side (intake) or the back side (exhaust) will change it either. The static compression ratio along with where the cam shuts the intake valve along the compression stroke determines an engine's DCR. Shut the intake valve sooner with narrower LSA and/or cam ground in advance increases the DCR. Wider LSA's and/or less cam advance decreases it (assuming the SCR remains the same).

Get notified of new replies

To Exhaust/pulley upgrade to Edelbrock blown GS

Quick Reply: Exhaust/pulley upgrade to Edelbrock blown GS