C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

boosted Ls2's. ....lbs boost/hp?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 11:29 PM
Pitufina
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Huh! That seems low to me. I'm not sure, but I was under the impression that an SD tune would still use the IAT sensor? It would be a waste in my opinion since the ECM is not seeing the low temps. Ask him about the afr and timing.
Old 05-13-2015, 11:46 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,193 Likes on 1,052 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by Pitufina
Huh! That seems low to me. I'm not sure, but I was under the impression that an SD tune would still use the IAT sensor? It would be a waste in my opinion since the ECM is not seeing the low temps. Ask him about the afr and timing.
Yes, SD tune still uses the IAT

Tons of people are doing it and this is the first time I've even heard of someone saying corrosion is a problem

It sounds like he doesn't know what he's talking about and/or isn't familiar to this methodology so he's giving excuses

Spraying meth on the IAT sensor and pulling a ton of timing if the temp doesn't go down is one of the better things that you can get out of meth, so I would def. want it done that way.

At worst.. let's say it does corrode the IAT. They're like $12, who cares
Old 05-14-2015, 07:19 AM
C U IN REARVEIW
Le Mans Master

Received 109 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by schpenxel

Tons of people are doing it and this is the first time I've even heard of someone saying corrosion is a problem

It sounds like he doesn't know what he's talking about and/or isn't familiar to this methodology so he's giving excuses

Spraying meth on the IAT sensor and pulling a ton of timing if the temp doesn't go down is one of the better things that you can get out of meth, so I would def. want it done that way.

I agree 100%. He is supposed to be using the iat sensor stil,l just in the maf, not relocated. Really not impressed with these results
Old 05-14-2015, 07:21 AM
C U IN REARVEIW
Le Mans Master

I agree, how would you know if the iat sensor was corroded though?
Old 05-14-2015, 09:16 AM
skydiven4fun
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Man, I know your not happy, I would want some answers with these results, something's not right. even if you were making another 2lbs of boost with a smaller pulley it would not be in lone with what you should be making, your car should have right around what mine is making, I would have thought around 650 (with 3.8)
what your plans ?

what was your car making prior to the install, Do you know ?

Last edited by skydiven4fun; 05-14-2015 at 09:20 AM.
Old 05-14-2015, 09:23 AM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by C U IN REARVEIW
I agree, how would you know if the iat sensor was corroded though?
I dunno.. everything I've found where people were talking about meth possibly corroding the temp sensor is from around like 2007.. it seems to have popped up as an "oh yea, that might happen" once upon a time, but I haven't found anyone that has actually had an issue with IAT corrosion from meth. Not saying I'm an expert, but I think the advantages far outweigh the small possibility of the IAT eventually corroding

I also would think that it would take a LOT of meth to really do anything to it, if it would even do anything at all
Old 05-14-2015, 09:43 AM
Pitufina
Drifting

Thanks for the clarification.

In the past a lot of people talked about corrosion, but that was due to the incorrect materials being used in the systems and most used water too. I highly doubt that that meth alone would corrode the IAT sensor, and if it does it's because is being mixed with water in my opinion.

Honestly I'm with you and I think he's unfamiliar with it and doesn't know how to take advantage of the meth capabilities.
Old 05-14-2015, 09:57 AM
NormWild
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Was planning to as i did an iat relocation kit w/ ls3 maf (2005 car) and he said where the meth was spraying it would corrode iat sensor. ...so we did speed density tune and sprayed meth on top for safety....? So basically the car is not recofnizing any of the benefits from the meth.....How much power would be lost in a 85* humid dyno atmosphere?
Probably a big part of the problem, you have to spray over your IAT or you are leaving half the meth benefit on the table. Car was probably yanking all the timing as the temps climbed especially if you didn't do a cool down pull. The real story is how much timing was he running and what were the IATs. This goes along with what I said about guys making big numbers F/I under ideal temps in the fall/winter/spring but your ECU crushes you when temps start to get high.

No offense to your tuner, but I would find someone with a little more experience tuning methanol, I would be pretty pissed with those results as well. Make sure you are not missing something obvious as well such as boost leak, slipping clutch, or blocked catalytic convertors.

I went through this last year, put my Meth on and car wouldn't make more than 450! Stock clutch slipping under boost and I never knew it, very hard to tell unless you know what to look for. Pulled that clutch out and it looked brand new, just couldn't produce enough grip. Threw on a Mantic and back in business.

Last edited by NormWild; 05-14-2015 at 10:01 AM.
Old 05-14-2015, 10:18 AM
C U IN REARVEIW
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by NormWild
Probably a big part of the problem, you have to spray over your IAT or you are leaving half the meth benefit on the table. Car was probably yanking all the timing as the temps climbed especially if you didn't do a cool down pull. The real story is how much timing was he running and what were the IATs. This goes along with what I said about guys making big numbers F/I under ideal temps in the fall/winter/spring but your ECU crushes you when temps start to get high.

No offense to your tuner, but I would find someone with a little more experience tuning methanol, I would be pretty pissed with those results as well. Make sure you are not missing something obvious as well such as boost leak, slipping clutch, or blocked catalytic convertors.

I went through this last year, put my Meth on and car wouldn't make more than 450! Stock clutch slipping under boost and I never knew it, very hard to tell unless you know what to look for. Pulled that clutch out and it looked brand new, just couldn't produce enough grip. Threw on a Mantic and back in business.
Great points. I am not running cats, it is 1 3/4 - 1 7/8 stepped headers to full 3" Z06 npp system. I do still gave stock clutch with only 26k miles on it and zero racing, but could be a factor. It was a really humid night when he had it on the dyno....soi know that hurts boosted setups. ...? he us supposed to do some street tuning with it today...so we will see. He said we could put it back on the dyno when i come to get it to show me a pull....but i'm certainly no expert and not sure i could recognize a problem......
Old 05-14-2015, 11:08 AM
NormWild
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Great points. I am not running cats, it is 1 3/4 - 1 7/8 stepped headers to full 3" Z06 npp system. I do still gave stock clutch with only 26k miles on it and zero racing, but could be a factor. It was a really humid night when he had it on the dyno....soi know that hurts boosted setups. ...? he us supposed to do some street tuning with it today...so we will see. He said we could put it back on the dyno when i come to get it to show me a pull....but i'm certainly no expert and not sure i could recognize a problem......
If you are still running the stock LS2 clutch its not a matter of if, but when. I never did a single hard launch or burnout with mine, just did not have enough clamping force.
Old 05-14-2015, 11:12 AM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by NormWild
If you are still running the stock LS2 clutch its not a matter of if, but when. I never did a single hard launch or burnout with mine, just did not have enough clamping force.
I didn't think mine was slipping, but after I swapped it out preemptively the car felt quite a bit faster, so I'm sure it was slipping some. It looked like it had seen some serious heat

OP: Monster LT1-SC or Mantic twin are your best clutch options, IMO
Old 05-14-2015, 11:39 AM
C U IN REARVEIW
Le Mans Master

I didn't think mine was slipping, but after I swapped it out preemptively the car felt quite a bit faster, so I'm sure it was slipping some. It looked like it had seen some serious heat

OP: Monster LT1-SC or Mantic twin are your best clutch options, IMO
Yeah, i will be going with mantic soon it looks like
Old 05-14-2015, 08:57 PM
C U IN REARVEIW
Le Mans Master

The humidity the night it was dynoed was 88% and 80+degrees....tuner said that he thinks that could be why it only made 8lbs of boost.......that seem logical?
Old 05-15-2015, 10:55 PM
C U IN REARVEIW
Le Mans Master

The humidity the night it was dynoed was 88% and 80+degrees....tuner said that he thinks that could be why it only made 8lbs of boost.......that seem logical?
Anyone?
Old 05-15-2015, 11:56 PM
Pitufina
Drifting

Anyone?
I've heard that heat and humidity may cause a drop in boost. Now, since you are running meth I highly doubt that your power is due to the temperatures and humidity being relatively high. That's what meth is for, to overcome the temperature variations and keep it constant along with the octane gain and the possibility of adding a higher ignition timing.
Old 05-16-2015, 07:53 AM
C U IN REARVEIW
Le Mans Master

I've heard that heat and humidity may cause a drop in boost. Now, since you are running meth I highly doubt that your power is due to the temperatures and humidity being relatively high. That's what meth is for, to overcome the temperature variations and keep it constant along with the octane gain and the possibility of adding a higher ignition timing.
But the iat is still in maf sensor....pre meth, as my tuner chose to not use the relocated iat sensor. ..so the ecu is really not recognizing the cooler temps. It would pull timing based on maf inlet temps....correct?

Last edited by C U IN REARVEIW; 05-16-2015 at 10:38 AM.
Old 05-16-2015, 12:12 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

But the iat is still in maf sensor....pre meth, as my tuner chose to not use the relocated iat sensor. ..so the ecu is really not recognizing the cooler temps. It would pull timing based on maf inlet temps....correct?
Yes. Computer has no idea what the temps are after whatever it's reading in the MAF (assuming that's the sensor that is connected, like you mentioned it is).

Get notified of new replies

To boosted Ls2's. ....lbs boost/hp?

Old 05-16-2015, 02:42 PM
C U IN REARVEIW
Le Mans Master

Yes. Computer has no idea what the temps are after whatever it's reading in the MAF (assuming that's the sensor that is connected, like you mentioned it is).
But the meth is still adding a good bit of protection for my motor even though not being utilized for power.....right?
Old 05-16-2015, 02:48 PM
Pitufina
Drifting

But the meth is still adding a good bit of protection for my motor even though not being utilized for power.....right?
Yes. The question now is how does the afr and timing looks like?
Old 05-16-2015, 04:28 PM
C U IN REARVEIW
Le Mans Master

Yes. The question now is how does the afr and timing looks like?
I want to know as well. .....still waiting on street tune to be finished. Weather has been bad down here for the last couple days and they couldn't finish it

Quick Reply: boosted Ls2's. ....lbs boost/hp?