C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone Install fuel system themselves?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2016, 11:24 AM
ls3atomicvette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by schpenxel
I'd like to know how you get the fuel pump out without dropping the tank?
Sorry wrong wording, yes I did drop the one tank with the fuel pump, not both of them
Old 05-17-2016, 12:26 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by BLOWNBLUEZ06@RKTPerformance
I shaved the factory seams down smooth before drilling the tanks. This allowed me to put the bulk head fittings where I wanted. The driver tank has a pair of Walbro 450's in it. No reason you can't do 3. I ran a Teflon plug into the tank specifically designed for installing into fuel tanks and maintaining a seal. They're expensive but I've found no better alternative so far. Cheaper, but not better. I have 4-10ga teflon coated wires in the plug so it's certainly enough to run 3 pumps.

[/IMG]
Interesting for sure.
Old 05-17-2016, 08:57 PM
Yasei
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ls3atomicvette
Sorry wrong wording, yes I did drop the one tank with the fuel pump, not both of them
So you didn't replace the regulator in the passenger side tank with a block-off plug. How does your siphon work?

Last edited by Yasei; 05-17-2016 at 08:57 PM.
Old 05-17-2016, 09:22 PM
gotjuice?
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

I dropped both of my tanks to install the block off plugs. Still use the factory pump for normal driving. Then under boost, the Magnafuel pump kicks in, I also have the pump hard wired so I can turn it on at any time. A led light kicks on to tell me the extra pump is working. I have had no issues. It is not that bad to remove the tanks without removing the rear drivetrain, but I have done a bunch of them.
Old 05-17-2016, 10:25 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

If you want to run <50ish FP then you need to drop both tanks for siphon the work. If you are going to run high base pressure then it will work without plugging the passenger tank.
Old 05-17-2016, 10:48 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Unreal
If you want to run <50ish FP then you need to drop both tanks for siphon the work. If you are going to run high base pressure then it will work without plugging the passenger tank.
Yup. Haven't dropped my tanks to install blockoffs yet. With 58 PSI base pressure I have no issues.
Old 05-17-2016, 10:55 PM
ls3atomicvette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Unreal
Yes exactly
Old 05-17-2016, 11:02 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

I have both of mine blocked, because dropping passenger side is cake when tranny and drivers side is out.
Old 05-20-2016, 04:04 PM
GS_DAN
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

The advantage of running lower base pressure so that the fuel pump/injectors don't have to work so hard at WOT?

ex. 50lbs base pressure + 20lbs boost, only need 70lbs effective fuel pressure vs 78lbs at 58lbs base pressure.
Old 05-20-2016, 04:24 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Fuel pump flow rates drop fast once you get into higher pressures, so you have to find the right spot where both your injectors and fuel pump can support the power you're making. Pressure too low and you need huge injectors. Pressure too high and you need a huge pump
Old 05-20-2016, 04:38 PM
BLOWNBLUEZ06@RKT Performance
Supporting Vendor

Received 314 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by GS_DAN
The advantage of running lower base pressure so that the fuel pump/injectors don't have to work so hard at WOT?

ex. 50lbs base pressure + 20lbs boost, only need 70lbs effective fuel pressure vs 78lbs at 58lbs base pressure.
That's correct. What I share with people is that a fuel system is truly a system and the design ends up going in circles. The fuel pump flow capability diminishes as the pressure increases and it's always a non linear flow curve up top. In the C5 sticky section, I have a spreadsheet that a fellow forum member came up with that helps you design a balanced system based on actual fuel flow at various pressures, compared to selected injectors. It also allows for multiple pumps. If your pumps aren't listed and you're able to acquire the flow data, there's a place for you to enter it. It will graph the flow curves for you to help you discover the best balance between injectors, pumps and pressure.
Old 05-20-2016, 04:53 PM
GS_DAN
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

Thank you for the responses. So if i am running say 14psi on a return-less style fuel system, secondary inline, i only have 44psi effective fuel pressure? And when your fuel pressure is that low, the fuel injectors are compensating and having to work harder?

This would clear a lot up for me.

thanks,
Old 05-20-2016, 05:06 PM
BLOWNBLUEZ06@RKT Performance
Supporting Vendor

Received 314 Likes on 207 Posts

Thank you for the responses. So if i am running say 14psi on a return-less style fuel system, secondary inline, i only have 44psi effective fuel pressure? And when your fuel pressure is that low, the fuel injectors are compensating and having to work harder?

thanks,
This is all part of that design circle.
The two considerations for lowering pressure are injector flow and fuel management between tanks. At a certain pressure, the fuel will no longer be drawn out of the passenger tank. That can be solved a few different ways. One is to change the orifice size in the venturi to match the new pressure and the other is to use electronics and a small pump to continuously push fuel to the driver tank.
Aside from that, the answer to your question is yes. In order for the same fuel to flow at a lower pressure, the injector pulse must be increased to compensate with attention given to the injector duty cycle as it increases.
Old 05-20-2016, 07:59 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

thanks,
Basically, yes.
Old 05-27-2016, 02:11 AM
C6vettegfw
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default A&A Stage 2

I installed the A&A stage 2 system last year and it was straight forward. took a few hours but was quite easy. been running fine ever since. base fuel pressure is just under 60.

Quick Reply: Anyone Install fuel system themselves?