C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A&A secondary drive + helping potential belt slip idea

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 01:11 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Unreal
I do run the 2.5 bar custom OS. Maybe that is it. $100 to swap to that would be far easier than wiring stuff up.

I ran IW, friends ran ATI and IW. Didn't matter, belt would only old for a small time then would slip.

Results won't help much on a fresh belt, put one on, drive for 5k miles, then see if it slips.
I am running the 2.5 bar OS also and don't see that fan disable in my tune.

As for the slip issue, I guess I will find out with time. I am running the billet tech alternator which produces more amps at 800 rpm than a stock one does turning at full speed. Even if the belt slips a bit, the amperage will still be there. I have no quarter mile logs yet but on the dyno it held full voltage on all runs. I also rarely use my A/C as I prefer the top down, so that might also help things.
Old 05-24-2015, 11:31 AM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by Unreal
I do run the 2.5 bar custom OS. Maybe that is it. $100 to swap to that would be far easier than wiring stuff up.
I'm running the upgraded OS too on the corvette. Wasn't one available for the truck (isn't SC'd regardless, but a regular VE table would have been nice..)

The upgraded os's are free now so that was kind of nice.
Old 05-25-2015, 01:39 AM
MVP'S ZO6
ISIS SUCKS FAT CHOAD
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by mourat
Apparently A&A is building another idler pulley around the AC to help with the slip issue like the C5 bracket has and will start shipping next week. If that doesn't work might have to just convert to 6 rib on the AC side which I believe ECS does. As for the fans, I have custom OS on a few non corvettes and they have fan enable/disable but when you hover over, it says AC fan enable in the description so you might want to check.

As for me I don't like running custom OS because I use HP Tuners + Tuner Cat to tune my car. Tuner cat has several other functions that HPT doesn't and if I email TC they usually respond and edit the definition for me next day to include what I want so I like keeping the file stock. Once I go custom I can't edit with a different program.

Thanks for your responses!

If you are going to pony up for the 6 rib conversion, I'd skip it and do the COG mod. No slipping where with the 6 rib you still have a chance of slip.

Your AC shuts off at WOT anyway. Who cares if it slips. :-) gotta keep that alternator spinnin. :-)

Last edited by MVP'S ZO6; 05-25-2015 at 02:08 AM.
Old 05-26-2015, 01:18 PM
mourat
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Too funny yes I don't care too much but when they slip they loose their grip properties. Getting more wrap around the AC area also pull the belt down around the balancer radius so you get more belt wrap.

I have installed it yesterday and so far so good. The billet alternator idea sounds nice if it can produce a ton of power even at lower RPM, however this just means it might slip earlier?

I really like the A&A secondary drive the way everything went together, had to cut an idler extension off the accessory bracket but an amazing friend of mine did it on a machine so it's beautiful and smooth.

Also did the skid plate mod and 2" shorter dewitts radiator so tons of ground clearance and I can run a full 3" pipe off the blower intake instead of the restricted one that comes with the older kits.

Originally Posted by MVP'S ZO6
If you are going to pony up for the 6 rib conversion, I'd skip it and do the COG mod. No slipping where with the 6 rib you still have a chance of slip.

Your AC shuts off at WOT anyway. Who cares if it slips. :-) gotta keep that alternator spinnin. :-)
Old 05-26-2015, 01:20 PM
mourat
Pro

Originally Posted by schpenxel
I'm running the upgraded OS too on the corvette. Wasn't one available for the truck (isn't SC'd regardless, but a regular VE table would have been nice..)

The upgraded os's are free now so that was kind of nice.
Wait what? I can upgrade for free??? That is awesome I will check it out because then I can do whatever needs to be done in TC and then upgrade to the 2.5 OS and do away with the lack of VE table, also get the fan feature.
Old 05-26-2015, 02:19 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

Wait what? I can upgrade for free??? That is awesome I will check it out because then I can do whatever needs to be done in TC and then upgrade to the 2.5 OS and do away with the lack of VE table, also get the fan feature.
Its been free for a while.
Old 05-26-2015, 04:03 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Yep, been free for a while now.

Also the latest beta (as of this morning) can work with virtual VE tables right inside HP Tuners, FINALLY. You can edit it like a normal VE table then tell it to calculate all of the speed density tables and it automatically does it and puts the data back into the tables for you. Very easy. I haven't tested how well it actually works yet but did mess with it and saw that it does seem to do what they claim.

So you can do it either way. Upgrade for free or request access to the beta and use VVE. If you're FI I'd upgrade regardless and throw a 2+ bar MAP in there while you're at it.

The larger fan table isn't so bad either!
Old 05-26-2015, 04:06 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

I'm not touching that beta for a while. Reading too many issues. With the 2 bar OS the VE tables are simple enough.
Old 05-26-2015, 04:15 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by realcanuk
I'm not touching that beta for a while. Reading too many issues. With the 2 bar OS the VE tables are simple enough.
The editor is working pretty well for me so far (not sure how great the VVE portion is though). I haven't really had any problems with it otherwise though (or at least not that I know of). Not any real reason to upgrade though unless you need the VVE stuff or just like using "new" stuff for no good reason.

The scanner is beta at best at this point.. I'd call it an alpha release IMO. I've avoided using it so far.. it's very buggy. Apparently it's a complete re-write. Not sure I like the new concept but we'll see I guess

Last edited by schpenxel; 05-26-2015 at 04:20 PM.
Old 05-26-2015, 04:45 PM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,085 Likes on 656 Posts

Just my personal experience with several cars.

It slips as a four rib, it slips with the additional idler, it slips with a six rib, it slips with a six rib with the extra idler, it drops voltage with a stock alternator or the Billet tech which creates a tuning nightmare which then leads to you wondering why your motor blew.

The only true fix is the cog.

Just my .02
Old 05-27-2015, 12:42 PM
mourat
Pro

Yeah I knew about the VVE in the new HPT but I'm reluctant to upgrade as I"ve read a few bugs in the VVE so will wait until it's fixed. The 2.25 I have (when it first came out) was full of bugs and bluecat is fine.

I did upgrade to the 2 bar OS, somehow the "free" part completely skipped me.

As for slip, I haven't had any slip that I could notice in my one 6 rib belt setup with a 3.4" pulley before? I ran it for 3 years same belt and hit 11 psi and voltage was stable with the gates HD belt, as for the 4 Rib belt slipping with the extra idler I guess I will have to live with it for now as long as it's not too bad will test the effects of it on the Dyno this Saturday.

Originally Posted by DOUG @ ECS

It slips as a four rib, it slips with the additional idler, it slips with a six rib, it slips with a six rib with the extra idler, it drops voltage with a stock alternator or the Billet tech which creates a tuning nightmare which then leads to you wondering why your motor blew.

Just my .02
Old 05-27-2015, 01:10 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by DOUG @ ECS

Just my .02
I wouldn't argue for a minute that that cog setup is the best thing going for this issue. But...... for those that don't want to, or can't spend the money to do it, its not like you cant get by without it.
Before you guys came out with this cog setup, you made similar posts of how the 6 rib was the real and only fix for the same issues.
Its a bit like a new model car coming out.... it doesn't mean that last years model is crap and cant work.

If I have my car in pieces again, I will probably go to the cog setup, just because my car loves taking my money, but for now, it seems to be working great without it.

Old 05-28-2015, 08:41 PM
mourat
Pro

Amen! If a 6 rib setup can do a good job running everything, a 4 rib shouldn't be too bad especially when it's that short and if you get a C5 bracket.

Needless to say going to Dyno so far no belt slip issues with the current 4 rib setup.

-ordered a C5 bracket got one for 50 bucks used.
-Ordered a 6 rib fleetrunner Gates Green belt which I will cut 2 ribs out of since they only make the regular version in 4 rib.
-Ordered all new Gates tensioner (looks like OEM) and idler pulley just in case.

The green belts everyone raves about their longevity so I figure use that just have to modify to 4 ribs, between all those things + fans turning off and maybe even get the Billet 170 amp alternator I should be fine

I wouldn't argue for a minute that that cog setup is the best thing going for this issue. But...... for those that don't want to, or can't spend the money to do it, its not like you cant get by without it.
Before you guys came out with this cog setup, you made similar posts of how the 6 rib was the real and only fix for the same issues.
Its a bit like a new model car coming out.... it doesn't mean that last years model is crap and cant work.

If I have my car in pieces again, I will probably go to the cog setup, just because my car loves taking my money, but for now, it seems to be working great without it.

Old 05-28-2015, 10:14 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

The stock AC tensioner on my C6 sucks. It is very weak I find. Does someone know a direct replacement for it that is stronger ?
Old 05-29-2015, 12:45 AM
mourat
Pro

The stock AC tensioner on my C6 sucks. It is very weak I find. Does someone know a direct replacement for it that is stronger ?
It is weak that's why I got the Gates one for $50 I will see if it's any better and if not one could always use the accessory tensioner just have to modify the AC bracket to mount it
Old 05-29-2015, 07:57 AM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

It is weak that's why I got the Gates one for $50 I will see if it's any better and if not one could always use the accessory tensioner just have to modify the AC bracket to mount it
When you make the change can you check by hand and let me know if the Gates one feels any stronger. I wonder if the stock one is weak from new or got weaker over time. I cant find anything on this and am considering just changing for a new OEM one. (could be a gates for all I know).
Old 05-29-2015, 01:53 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

When you make the change can you check by hand and let me know if the Gates one feels any stronger. I wonder if the stock one is weak from new or got weaker over time. I cant find anything on this and am considering just changing for a new OEM one. (could be a gates for all I know).
You could go "new" style and just go to a tensioner'less system. They are a bastard to put belts on. The belts feel slightly stretchier but maybe that was my imagination.

BMW has been doing it that way for 10+ years. Pretty sure the C7 is done that way.

Get notified of new replies

To A&A secondary drive + helping potential belt slip idea

Old 05-30-2015, 06:42 PM
mourat
Pro

Well went to dyno (car still sitting there)

100% belt slip after about 5k rpm with a new belt on the A&A setup and C6 bracket. I did order the C5 bracket so lets hope for the best. Went down to 12.4 volts basically not even charging.
Old 06-01-2015, 01:32 AM
MVP'S ZO6
ISIS SUCKS FAT CHOAD
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

This is what you need my friend.
Attached Images  
Old 06-01-2015, 10:03 AM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,085 Likes on 656 Posts

Well went to dyno (car still sitting there)

100% belt slip after about 5k rpm with a new belt on the A&A setup and C6 bracket. I did order the C5 bracket so lets hope for the best. Went down to 12.4 volts basically not even charging.

Now say you are at a track rental, the next pass will be 12.2, then 11.8, then 11.4, now you are dangerously lean. At least that's what I have experienced.
Also holding a single gear on the dyno does not mean it will hold while shifting gears.

Quick Reply: A&A secondary drive + helping potential belt slip idea