C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TX2K15: Truffle Butter Edition

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2015, 10:12 PM
Detoxx03
Safety Car

Received 377 Likes on 245 Posts

It's all good. Nothing wrong with a spirited discussion.
Old 06-20-2015, 10:54 PM
grocerygetter
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 86 Posts

Appreciate the video! Awesome.
Old 06-21-2015, 09:44 AM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

Truffle butter.... Lol.. Not to be confused for the Alaskan Pipeline or Alabama Hot Pocket.... Lol...

Cool vid.. The G8 ran pretty well for a 4200lb car!
Old 06-21-2015, 10:01 AM
Silver Bullet C6
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12

Originally Posted by Detoxx03
I like a car that can be well rounded. No offense to anyone that builds them but only drag cars bore me personally. I like to make highway pulls, take the car on the twisters, and when I go to the track it's just to see what it can do and get a little practice launching. Seeing what it traps is always a plus.

Anywho glad you guys like the video. Thanks for the kind words about my car Xtreme.
Your car is basically a straight line car whether you want to admit it or not. A dedicated drag car can make highway pulls too, so how is your car different. Take your car to a road course and see how it performs on drag radials. I don't see it lasting after 20-25 minutes of driving on a road course...so basically you have a drag car for the street.
Old 06-21-2015, 11:29 AM
Ultrasport05
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Cool vid. About the roll racing thing, I suck at driving so I do it. Keeping the car pointed straight and shifting is easy enough!
Old 06-21-2015, 12:13 PM
Detoxx03
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Silver Bullet C6
Your car is basically a straight line car whether you want to admit it or not. A dedicated drag car can make highway pulls too, so how is your car different. Take your car to a road course and see how it performs on drag radials. I don't see it lasting after 20-25 minutes of driving on a road course...so basically you have a drag car for the street.
Except for the fact I don't drive on drag radials everyday. I only put them on for stuff like this or local events which is not often.
Old 06-21-2015, 12:30 PM
grocerygetter
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 86 Posts

why cant everyone just say "hey, that shizz is fast! nice car!" and roll on. lol
Old 06-21-2015, 01:05 PM
Detoxx03
Safety Car

Exactly ^^^
Old 06-21-2015, 01:39 PM
Chicago1
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 208 Posts

Sweet vid I been wanting to go down one of these years and do some rolls but some of those cars out there..WOW!!!
Old 06-21-2015, 02:56 PM
Turbo-Geist
Melting Slicks

Received 176 Likes on 138 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C5 of Year Finalist

Take your car to a road course and see how it performs on drag radials. I don't see it lasting after 20-25 minutes of driving on a road course...
I ran sub 2 minute laps on drag radials at MSR Houston in my 9 second 1/4 mile C5. Left black marks on every straight. What does that make my car?
Old 06-21-2015, 04:03 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo-Geist
I ran sub 2 minute laps on drag radials at MSR Houston in my 9 second 1/4 mile C5. Left black marks on every straight. What does that make my car?
A drag car.

Old 06-21-2015, 04:12 PM
Xtremespeed
Burning Brakes

Location: The only state to ever kick another country's ass! TEXAS
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ajrothm
A drag car.

If you said your sub 2min MSR c5 made a 9 second 1/4 pass it would be a road race car. Lol!
Old 06-21-2015, 07:53 PM
Silver Bullet C6
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12

How many laps and how long did you run your car continuously?
I am not that familiar with Houston MSR, but I just pulled up a video of a Nissan 370-Z run a 1:50, so is that impressive for a 9-second turbo-charged C5?

Last edited by Silver Bullet C6; 06-21-2015 at 08:30 PM.
Old 06-23-2015, 06:17 AM
winters97gt
Le Mans Master

Received 77 Likes on 65 Posts

Santos, hate to call you out, you've always been a nice guy and we have chatted over the years, but that's kind of uncalled for.

You had Josh, who now works at A&A, build your car and tune it. It ran with not a drag pack, but GTO spare tires on the front. On top of that, you didn't even drive your own car if I recall. Josh did for these passes, and it's an automatic which is a cake walk compared to a manual car.

So to have a car that ran spare wheels up front, or any drag pack so set a record, which you weren't even driving, isn't really fair to call others out IMO towards Ben(Turbo-Geist) who grinded his way, banging gears on a stock LS1 that he built and tuned, then ran laps at MSR.

Just my 2 cents. Nothing personal, but let's keep some appreciation for one another here.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...at-139mph.html
Old 06-23-2015, 03:50 PM
Turbo-Geist
Melting Slicks

Received 176 Likes on 138 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by ajrothm
A drag car.

Originally Posted by Xtremespeed
If you said your sub 2min MSR c5 made a 9 second 1/4 pass it would be a road race car. Lol!
Good counter-point. I like it.
How many laps and how long did you run your car continuously?
I am not that familiar with Houston MSR, but I just pulled up a video of a Nissan 370-Z run a 1:50, so is that impressive for a 9-second turbo-charged C5?
I was running clockwise at a private track rental on bald drag radials with the power set as low as it would go (~650 rwhp). I did 4 - 15 to 20 minute sessions and then drove the car 2.5 hrs back to the house. Is it impressive? I think it's respectable given it was my 1st time ever on a road course with too much power and not enough suspension, brakes, tires, or experience. I had to go part throttle in the corners to keep from drifting off the track and I was doing rolling burn-outs on the straights. I have to say 2 minute laps on a road course are way more exciting than 9 to 10 seconds in a straight line.

Your post about driving a car on the road course with drag radials caught my attention. I always try to skirt the line of what is possible. People said a stock C5 engine, trans and diff couldn't go 9s. I went ahead and tried it anyway. When it came time for the road course rental, all I had available was drag radials and went with it.

I'm not sure where we are going with this thread. There are so many possibilities with how a person chooses to build their car and what venues they choose to compete. It's hard for any one car or platform to be the best at all of them. There will always be someone faster or better equipped for a certain event.

I've recently taken up running 5k's again. I'm getting faster but have some friends that are still ahead. It is what it is and I'll try to get better. Shame on them if they challenge me to a squat competition, though.
Old 06-23-2015, 05:44 PM
Slo-Poc
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Soo seems like everyone's enjoying thier truffle butter...
Next year if anyone makes it to tx2k I'd like to put some name to faces and get some runs in too.
Old 06-23-2015, 06:39 PM
Xtremespeed
Burning Brakes

Location: The only state to ever kick another country's ass! TEXAS
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Good counter-point. I like it.

I was running clockwise at a private track rental on bald drag radials with the power set as low as it would go (~650 rwhp). I did 4 - 15 to 20 minute sessions and then drove the car 2.5 hrs back to the house. Is it impressive? I think it's respectable given it was my 1st time ever on a road course with too much power and not enough suspension, brakes, tires, or experience. I had to go part throttle in the corners to keep from drifting off the track and I was doing rolling burn-outs on the straights. I have to say 2 minute laps on a road course are way more exciting than 9 to 10 seconds in a straight line.

Your post about driving a car on the road course with drag radials caught my attention. I always try to skirt the line of what is possible. People said a stock C5 engine, trans and diff couldn't go 9s. I went ahead and tried it anyway. When it came time for the road course rental, all I had available was drag radials and went with it.

I'm not sure where we are going with this thread. There are so many possibilities with how a person chooses to build their car and what venues they choose to compete. It's hard for any one car or platform to be the best at all of them. There will always be someone faster or better equipped for a certain event.

I've recently taken up running 5k's again. I'm getting faster but have some friends that are still ahead. It is what it is and I'll try to get better. Shame on them if they challenge me to a squat competition, though.
All my knowledge comes from drag racing. I would love to do some track days at a road race course someday but I'd have a lot to learn. Way outta my comfort zone, but a dream I have. None very close to me. Not sure I could ever get in to the roll racing thing though. It's kinda like when some of my friends wanted me to come to the local dirt track. Just foreign to me. Maybe I need to hit some events and meet some people. I would love to meet some of the people here and see these cars. Maybe take a ride.

Get notified of new replies

To TX2K15: Truffle Butter Edition

Old 06-23-2015, 06:45 PM
Detoxx03
Safety Car

You don't have to do it on the street but if you go to one of the roll events at a airstrip you'll love it. Nothing like opening a car up and stretching its legs.
Old 06-23-2015, 07:51 PM
Streetk14
Melting Slicks

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Xtremespeed
I know. Like you said, just trying to make my point. I have a lot of respect for guys like you and Slo-Poc who have some awesome cars. It's all the clueless kids out there. I intended to stop ruffling feathers and then I get comments like these cars are too dangerous to run from a dig on the street. Lol! It's too dangerous to race on the street period if we were all to be honest. I do like seeing the videos even if it's not my cup of tea. I apologize for sidetracking your thread.
Sorry, I'm kind of late to the party here..... but I think what was meant by "street racing" was events like TX2K or the airstrip events that I run at. Most of these have unprepped surfaces, and some don't allow drag tires. So trying to hook 1000 rwhp can be dangerous.

As for me personally, I like doing these kind of events because:

1) I don't break my car
2) I can drive to the event and drive home without so much as changing wheels/tires (i.e. no race trailer, etc.)
3) I don't need to make changes to my car that would make it less fun or make it less of a capable sports car.
4) I hit 165 mph or so at the last 1/2 mile I ran at. Can't do that at a drag strip with ~700 rwhp. Being able to legally run at speeds like that is a lot of fun.

I'm all for going to the strip once in a while, but if I wanted a drag-oriented car, it wouldn't be a manual trans C6. What makes these cars great (IMO) is that they can do so many things so well. Having a well-rounded car is a lot more exciting to me than a dedicated race car. That's just my opinion, of course.
Old 06-23-2015, 08:02 PM
Detoxx03
Safety Car

My point but you got it across better ^^^

Quick Reply: TX2K15: Truffle Butter Edition