C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F1X belt woes

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 09:42 PM
stanger383
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Default F1X belt woes

I have a 06 Z with fully built engine with an F1X blower and RPM transmissions auto conversion running on E85. Im running the Taylor performance direct drive and a 10 rib dedicated blower belt. I have an 8 inch IW damper and a 5.25 inch blower pulley for now. Imrunning the green HD gates belt and I have tried everything from loose to tight on the tension. The head bracket and the tensioner are stock procharger and the J bracket is Taylor performance as well. It is blowing thru 3.5 tubing to an air to air IC and 3.5 tubes to the TB. I have a 60mm blow off installed. It is making 15,7 psi with this pulley configuration.... EVERYTIME I run it through the gears it tosses the belt. I have checked pulley alignment and that is good. So far in the 4 times it has tossed it ,it has popped a hole in the hood,ripped out the right front wheel speed sensors wires twice and finally the last time it tossed the belt remnants in my acc belts and pulleys.
Im not sure where to go from here. As bad as it is to eat 35 dollar belts, it is tearing up other things along the way.
Has anyone here experienced this situation and what was the cure?

Old 06-22-2015, 09:57 PM
yur2slo
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I have same setup holding my F1X on. I'll bet $ that the water pump has worked it's way out some, take a look. We had to weld the pump pulley to the shaft as I was having the same issues. Now I run a 3.8 upper and 8 lower to 7400rpm with 32psi and zero issues outside of bending the procharger tensioner rod every now and then haha. Good luck.
Old 06-23-2015, 10:01 AM
turbotuner20v
Safety Car

Received 212 Likes on 118 Posts

Are you sure the belt isn't rubbing the thermostat housing area of the water pump, or the face of the water pump casting?

What size belt are you using for that pulley combo?

What happens when it gets 'tossed'? Like snaps immediately, or throws a rib off the front or back of the blower pulley till it cuts a rib off and the rest of the belt fails?

Last edited by turbotuner20v; 06-23-2015 at 06:53 PM.
Old 06-23-2015, 12:29 PM
Frans96ss
Le Mans Master

Received 352 Likes on 210 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

I had belt problems with the same bracket. Switched to an A&A with their direct drive setup and never had a single issue. I run this setup on 3 cars and had belts on for 6-7 months and still to this day never had an issue. They are still running the original belt.
Old 06-23-2015, 10:18 PM
stanger383
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by yur2slo
I have same setup holding my F1X on. I'll bet $ that the water pump has worked it's way out some, take a look. We had to weld the pump pulley to the shaft as I was having the same issues. Now I run a 3.8 upper and 8 lower to 7400rpm with 32psi and zero issues outside of bending the procharger tensioner rod every now and then haha. Good luck.
it is an electric waterpump so it is only a free idle pulley there and feels solid.
Old 06-23-2015, 10:20 PM
stanger383
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by turbotuner20v
Are you sure the belt isn't rubbing the thermostat housing area of the water pump, or the face of the water pump casting?

What size belt are you using for that pulley combo?

What happens when it gets 'tossed'? Like snaps immediately, or throws a rib off the front or back of the blower pulley till it cuts a rib off and the rest of the belt fails?
its not rubbing anything along the way when it is static. sometimes the belt moves towards the engine a rib, sometimes towards the front a rib and several times it just grenades and gets wedged everywhere
Old 06-23-2015, 10:22 PM
stanger383
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Frans96ss
I had belt problems with the same bracket. Switched to an A&A with their direct drive setup and never had a single issue. I run this setup on 3 cars and had belts on for 6-7 months and still to this day never had an issue. They are still running the original belt.
great talkng to you tonight Fran. I will be calling A&A tomorrow
Old 06-24-2015, 12:40 AM
turbotuner20v
Safety Car

Curious why the a&a bracket would be the fix
Old 06-24-2015, 01:41 AM
playtoy
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Are you only running 1 BOV? If so you might be encountering blower surge.
Old 06-24-2015, 02:43 AM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

I also have an a&a 10 rib procharger bracket with the hd tensioner and secondary drive and I haven't had any problems at all, I have had nothing but success with a&a's products... granted I'm only running a measly d1 though... on a side note your car looks like a beast man, I dig it
Old 06-24-2015, 09:35 AM
turbotuner20v
Safety Car

I ran an F1a and F1a-94 on the procharger/dallas performance 10-rib wiith an 8"/3.85" pulley combo with no belt issues.

I installed the F1X and a 4.125" and then 4.5" blower pulley and I've had some trial and error trying to find the correct belt size. Too tight of a belt meant I had to loosen the head unit to get the belt on and the belt would touch down on the water pump thermostat housing/outlet when under load. Too loose and it seemed to throw the belt backwards and hang 1 rib off the back of the pulley towards the motor till it got cut off and turned into a 9 rib.

I'm also running a tial 50mm bov w/ the recirc fitting and a filter pre-intercooler and a stiff spring tial 50mm non-recirc on my intercooler tank, so I think I need to vent better close to the blower.

I also had to shim the blower pulley to line it up with my crank pulley (different than my F1a's), and I'm not sure my tensioner idler pulley is lined up right, so the shoulders of this tensioner pulley could be pushing the belt off.

Basically it worked awesome on the f1a/f1a-94 and I've got a few kinks to work out on the f1x, but it's not chucking belts every pass either, seems to only push the belt off when I touch off the rev limited spinning the tires, which leads me to think it's surge like playtoy mentioned. I'll add a 2nd blowoff valve pre-intercooler before I change any of my brackets, the procharger setup is super easy to swap belts. I think you have to pull the head unit with the A&A

Last edited by turbotuner20v; 06-24-2015 at 09:38 AM.
Old 06-24-2015, 10:48 AM
Frans96ss
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '09

I have an entire Procharger/dallas performance 10 rib bracket is anyone wants to buy it Cheap
Old 06-24-2015, 11:41 AM
Josh@AandASuperchargers
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 182 Likes on 142 Posts

I sell my A&A SC bracket designed to fit a Procharger headunit from P1 to F2 and 6,8, & 10-rib option. It works really well and even though it takes a little more work to replace the belt, you really won't have to replace it for a few years anyway.

Last edited by Josh@AandASuperchargers; 06-25-2015 at 04:07 PM.
Old 06-24-2015, 11:59 AM
SquatchMachining
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by turbotuner20v
I ran an F1a and F1a-94 on the procharger/dallas performance 10-rib wiith an 8"/3.85" pulley combo with no belt issues.

I installed the F1X and a 4.125" and then 4.5" blower pulley and I've had some trial and error trying to find the correct belt size. Too tight of a belt meant I had to loosen the head unit to get the belt on and the belt would touch down on the water pump thermostat housing/outlet when under load. Too loose and it seemed to throw the belt backwards and hang 1 rib off the back of the pulley towards the motor till it got cut off and turned into a 9 rib.

I'm also running a tial 50mm bov w/ the recirc fitting and a filter pre-intercooler and a stiff spring tial 50mm non-recirc on my intercooler tank, so I think I need to vent better close to the blower.

I also had to shim the blower pulley to line it up with my crank pulley (different than my F1a's), and I'm not sure my tensioner idler pulley is lined up right, so the shoulders of this tensioner pulley could be pushing the belt off.

Basically it worked awesome on the f1a/f1a-94 and I've got a few kinks to work out on the f1x, but it's not chucking belts every pass either, seems to only push the belt off when I touch off the rev limited spinning the tires, which leads me to think it's surge like playtoy mentioned. I'll add a 2nd blowoff valve pre-intercooler before I change any of my brackets, the procharger setup is super easy to swap belts. I think you have to pull the head unit with the A&A

If I were you I would be running at least Two of those BOV's with 2-3# springs directly after the blower discharge, pre intercooler. The closer to the blower, the better.

If belts are aligned correctly and you don't have any surge issues, belts last a very long time. Im going on 3 years and over 15000 miles on a 10 rib belt with A&A Bracketry (YSI) and the belt still looks great.

I myself have had issues with procharger brackets in the past and I am not a fan, a lot of other people I know aside from the ones posting here have made that swap from the PC bracket to either the one that was offered by ECS or the one that A&A offers.

Over the years I have tried brackets from all the major players in the game, A&A by far has the best engineered product for the corvette in my opinion. Granted the belts are a pain in the butt to change, but if its set up right, you wont be changing belts!
Old 06-24-2015, 12:26 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Friend had the same issue. Swapped tons of stuff, bent a ton of PC rods, had nothing but issues with PC brackets. Finally went to an A&A setup and zero issues, and no slip since then.
Old 06-24-2015, 01:35 PM
DSteck
Safety Car

Received 83 Likes on 42 Posts
Tech Contributor

HoB cog with a sprag and be done.
Old 06-24-2015, 02:36 PM
Frans96ss
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by DSteck
HoB cog with a sprag and be done.
I have a car running that also... Has a couple small issues but never had a single issue trying to make any boost even with an A&A 8 rib. Ive made over 25 so far.... no signs of slip

Get notified of new replies

To F1X belt woes

Old 06-24-2015, 03:06 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

It seems obvious A&A is doing something right with their brackets. Running 19-20 lbs on my new build with a YSI, 8 rib, and flip drive. I have about 600 miles on it now with absolutely no belt issues and no slip.
Old 06-24-2015, 03:13 PM
SquatchMachining
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by realcanuk
It seems obvious A&A is doing something right with their brackets. Running 19-20 lbs on my new build with a YSI, 8 rib, and flip drive. I have about 600 miles on it now with absolutely no belt issues and no slip.

Procharger brackets are perfect, just ask them!
Old 06-24-2015, 03:54 PM
booztd3
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Off topic ,but what water pump would you recommend for a 10 rib set up ?

Quick Reply: F1X belt woes